Complaint Review: Great Expectations

• Reported By: Sarah peterson — orlando Florida United States of America
Great Expectations
1001 Lake Destiny Road maitland, Florida United States of America

Great Expectations (Read the fine print to cancel) maitland, Florida

*UPDATE Employee: So Sorry to hear your upset.......

*Consumer Suggestion: beware of match.com, also

Ok, so you have to read the fine print. Hopefully, after you sign up for this, and if you decide to cancel within the 3 day time-period, you read the fine print. YOU MUST SEND A WRITTEN LETTER OF CANCELLATION AND SEND IT CERTIFIED, POSTMARKED BEFORE THE 3 DAYS ARE OVER.

Otherwise, you did not follow the cancellation policy. I signed up 3 days ago, and came into the office today to cancel, not trusting a phone call to work. The boss was not there (hmmm, does the boss take every third day off for a reason?) and they said I could come back next week. I tried to get them to sign something, anything, that I had canceled. They got pissy, mad, and suddenly too busy to help me. So anyway, I left a handwritten note saying I had canceled, managing to squeak out a name and signature. (They did not want to do that, at all. )

Here is the funny part. I waited in the foyer and listened. They were speaking to the boss and said, "She sure will be upset when she comes back next week." And they laughed!!!!! BECAUSE, AT THAT MOMENT, I HAD NOT ACTUALLY CANCELED MY MEMBERSHIP! I reread the contract and realized that I had not sent it CERTIFIED MAIL!!! The handwritten cancellation they asked me to create in the office meant nothing!!!

So I went and typed out something, and incredibly made it to the post office before they closed, and got it sent CERTIFIED, WITH A POSTMARK OF WITHIN THE 3 DAY TIME PERIOD.

I then went back to the office, leaving a duplicate envelope, and the reciepts from the post office, and told them my letter of cancellation would be there the next day or so.

You know, I have been thinking. They cover themselves with this contract. They ask if you have been arrested. The only people that get sucked in are lonely people who have NEVER BEEN ARRESTED, hoping you won't cause a scene.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/15/2011 05:04 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Great-Expectations/maitland-Florida-32751/Great-Expectations-Read-the-fine-print-to-cancel-maitland-Florida-683071. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Great Expectations

So Sorry to hear your upset.......

AUTHOR: GM - (United States of America)

Hi Simone, I am sorry you are soo upset. When you came in to cancel your membership we told you to send your cancellation in writing. Also, due to the background check we would have had to refund you your money anyways. We wish you the best of luck and hope you find the inner peace you so deserve.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

beware of match.com, also

AUTHOR: cissy49 - (USA)

Yes, read the fine print always. I tried a three day free trial, and cancelled match.com on the same day, because the website generated so-called matches that completely differed from my chosen gender and age range, regardless how many times I changed the selection back to my preference. (after I cancelled they admitted that they have no capacity to match people based on what is on their profile). They charged my account anyway.

After some research, it was found that the website reputation is to refuse refunds and to recharge credit cards even after cancellation, and that phone calls are no help.

However, you do have recourse: First, if you didn't this time, always print out any confirmation of cancellation as it has a cancellation number. They send a cancellation email which shows a date Print that out and save it. Save all emails.

Go online and/or call the credit card company/bank and dispute the charge, requesting that NO further charges by the company are accepted. If a bank, go in person to ask how to dispute.

Keep a copy of everything. Make sure to follow the hard copy cancellation by registered, certified mail with a return reciept, through the Post Office exactly per the contract, and even keep a copy of the Post office sales receipt which shows the time and date. Follow through with your dispute all the way.

Then never sign up for anything free. I was going to type "LOL", but it's really no laughing matter. Truth is, nothing is free and most trial offers are not worth the hassle either. If the service or product is so great, a refund promise should be all that is needed. But trial offers with conditions like match.com or other similar meetups are not at all worth the hassle.

I recommend getting involved with groups that share your interests and meet people there.