Complaint Review: Great Lakes Carpet And Tile

• Phone: 352-867-9995
  • Web:
  • Category:

Great Lakes Carpet And Tile Sold defective carpet Ocala, Florida

*Author of original report: In response to question

*General Comment: To Disappointed, A question About Smartstrand

*Author of original report: Update from Disappointed

*UPDATE Employee: carpet claim

We purchased carpet for our home ($6200.00) and have recently noticed one area of the carpet in one room is completely coming out, the backing is coming up through the carpet and is fraying. The defect is in an area (almost a straight line but not quite) from one end of the room to the other. The area is on the end of a roll. Great Lakes Carpet and Tile sent someone out (their Installation Manager) who inspected the carpet and agreed that something was not right. He wanted to know my brand of vacuum cleaner. It is a Dyson. The Dyson did not do this. I don't vacuum just one room of the house in one area with the Dyson. He then said "We will send an independent inspector to look at the carpet. But remember, he is like God and what he says will go". Excuse me?? Who is he and why does he determine whether or not Great Lakes has to stand by their motto "Service is not just a word, but a way of life"? I haven't seen this man who will decide whether or not my carpet should be replaced. As far as I am concerned, the customer service at Great Lakes Carpet and Tile is pretty much non-existent. So, I have spent $6200.00 in a store that uses customer service in their motto but won't honor it when they sell defective carpet. The carpet is Mohawk Smart Strand. BEWARE. Don't give your hard earned money to a company that won't back what they sell.  If this "God of carpet" determines my carpet will not be replaced, I will go all the way to the top of Mohawk, stand outside their store with a picket sign and write a letter to the Editor of the local paper until I feel satisfied.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2010 02:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Great-Lakes-Carpet-And-Tile/Ocala-Florida-34474/Great-Lakes-Carpet-And-Tile-Sold-defective-carpet-Ocala-Florida-570878. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Great Lakes Carpet And Tile

In response to question

AUTHOR: Disappointed - (United States of America)

In response to your question regarding "wearing" of carpet:  I have to say it looks brand new and wears well.  You can tell in a couple of high traffic areas (ie: entrance to rooms from hardwood onto carpet) it has worn a little more than other areas but for the most part, it looks great!

#2 General Comment

To Disappointed, A question About Smartstrand

AUTHOR: imlobosmommy - (United States of America)

This is really not a rebuttal, but a question.

To: "Disappointed".  Now that it has been a couple of years, how has the carpeting worn?  I am supposed to get their cheapest Smartstrand installed Tuesday and would like to know if it has worn well.

I don't want to have to replace it 2-3 years.

Thank-you

Update from Disappointed

AUTHOR: Disappointed - (United States of America)

I received a phone call today from the Installation Manager at Great Lakes Carpet and Tile asking me to update my report posted earlier. I am more than happy to do so since the "independent inspector" came to the conclusion my carpet needed to be replaced and it was successfully replaced by Great Lakes Carpet and Tile. The new carpet looks great. However, he was wrong in his rebuttal when he states someone was coming out to my home the day I posted the complaint. I posted the complaint in a fair amount of time after the installation manager came to my home and before the independent inspector showed up. There was one missed appointment during this time and the re-scheduling was done by the inspector at his request, not mine.

I only posted the complaint after hearing from another person of their difficulties having Great Lakes stand by their product and promise of excellent customer service. In my situation, the carpet was inspected and repaired. I also want to mention that after I wrote the complaint, I contacted Mohawk directly and they were very helpful once they were given all of the facts.

The Installation Manager did a great job in scheduling the installation of the new carpet. I only wish there had been no need to worry about the carpet being replaced to begin with. He stated today that he knew upon inspection the carpet was defective. My fears could have been alleviated if he had just told me his opinion at the time instead of telling me that another person not employed by Great Lakes would have the final word. The company you choose to do business with and pay a substantial amount of money to should be able to make the decision regarding customer satisfaction.

I am pleased that it was decided the defective carpet could be replaced. It was replaced successfully and I am relieved that I did not have to fight for the end result.

carpet claim

AUTHOR: al moody - (United States of America)

i recieved a call from customer with a complaint that her carpet was pulling apart.i made an appointment with customer at her convenience. at this appointment i found that carpet tufts were coming out easily. i explained to her that there was a process that we had to go through to get a claim on her carpet through mohawk industries. i turned the claim over to our claims manager for further action. (when you have an inspection done an independent inspector, who is a neautral agent, not for us or mohawk.)at this time i explained to her that this process could take up to 2 weeks.the inspector called her and made an appointment with her at her convenience to come to her house and check carpet. the day that she was scheduled to have her inspection was the same day she sent in this ripoff report.as i expected the inspector ruled in her favor. the replacement carpet was then ordered and i called her to schedule her install. she set a date and we showed up and did our job. i called her back after job was completed and got her answer machine and l explained that i wanted to inspect job and make sure she was happy. 2 days later she left a voice mail on my office phone stating she was very happy and she did not need me to come over.i do apoligize for anything i might have said or did wrong. i am a firm believer that word of mouth is the best advertisement there is.