Complaint Review: Green Dot Corporation

• Updated: Fri, February 21, 2014

• Reported By: Ssesma1 — olathe Kansas
Green Dot Corporation
internet, Select State/Province USA

Green Dot Corporation Walmart MoneyCard, GE CAPTIAL RETAIL BANK Account Block after tax refund deposited. internet nationwide

I purchased a Walmart MoneyCard a few months ago and had no issues with it until I decided to deposit my tax refund onto it. They don't tell you beforehand that they will put a block on your account due to an "unusual deposit" and won't even call to notify you of it.

I only found out my account was blocked when I tried to purchase something and my card was declined. Talk about embarrassing. So I phoned the customer service line that is printed on the back of the card and was told that I had to fax a copy of my ID AND my social in order for my money to be accessible to me the following day.

I'm confused here. When you buy this card, they verify your identity. Now I need to do it again? Okay, I do. My account was blocked on 2/12/14 and I faxed what they asked for on 2/13/14. On 2/14/14 my money was still unavailable to me.

I phoned the customer service line again and was put on hold for the first time by them, all of a sudden, and for 20 freaking minutes. The man who answered said I had to wait 3-5 business days for them to validate everything and my account to be restored. Wtf? I hang up and call again to speak with someone else. Again I'm on hold for 20 minutes. This woman tells me it'll take 2-3 business days and I should have my money by the 15th or 16th.... even though those were not business days. Oh ok.

I have googled many other stories of this happening and people waiting 10+ for their money. I haven't seen any where they come back to say they finally got their money. I am in desperate need of MY money... my cars transmission is just about done, I have a husband and a 3 year old and we need a new car... this is my money and they are holding it hostage... for how long? I have now emailed Green Dot and GE my complaints.. it is 2/18/14 and I still do not have my money. Am I going to get it??? When I do I am removing my money from this card and cancelling it... will withdrawing money cause another red flag and account block?? Stay far away from Walmart MoneyCards.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/18/2014 11:01 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Green-Dot-Corporation/internet-Select-StateProvince-internet/Green-Dot-Corporation-Walmart-MoneyCard-GE-CAPTIAL-RETAIL-BANK-Account-Block-after-tax-re-1124452. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Green Dot Corporation