Complaint Review: Green Wheels Van Lines

• Updated: Tue, February 05, 2013

• Reported By: disgruntled — Wilmington Delaware United States of America
Green Wheels Van Lines
1710 Olive St Capitol Heights, Maryland United States of America

Green Wheels Van Lines Green Wheels Moving Completely Misrepresented Services Capitol Heights, Maryland

Initially, the service was wonderful.  John called me within the hour of filling out the online reservation and inventory forms.  Once I scheduled, I unexpectedly was unable to move on the date requested, and John was able to accommodate my rescheduled move with no additional charges.

On the actual move day, I received a verification call at 7am for an 8am appointment, but my appointment was not until 2pm as I could not get the move-in keys until 12 noon and they had no earlier times available.  The dispatcher seemed to think it was my mistake and called his supervisor to verify.  When he called me back, he asked if I could at least be ready by 10am which would accommodate the key situation.  I agreed, but within the hour, I received another call stating that he was in fact mistaken, that my original appointment was in fact for 2pm and that they would arrive then.

At 2:45pm, the truck had still not arrived and I called the dispatcher I spoke with previously.  He said that they were close and they did not arrive until 3:15pm.  I was moving from Columbia, MD to Wilmington, DE and now doubted that I would even be able to make the drive in time to pick up the keys before 5pm which was when the leasing office closed.  I had to leave the movers in my apartment unattended and speed to Delaware to try and make it in time.  Needless to say, I didn't make it and felt it was their late arrival that instigated the entire situation. (*Side Note* I worked until 9pm the previous day in MD and couldn't not make it to DE to pick up the keys before the day of the move.)

At 5:30pm, I called the dispatcher again and explained the issue.  I was prepared to have them unload the truck at my new location and sleep outside with my things all night.  Fortunately, he stated that the movers had not even completed packing the truck and that they would keep my items overnight and arrive by noon the next day when I would have the keys.  He never once stated that any additional charges may be applied.

When the movers arrived the next day, they took nearly 4 hours to unload a one bedroom apartment.  When they finally finished, they gave me an invoice that was for more than double the amount originally estimated.  I was given an estimate for $575 and was given an invoice for about $1250.  When I inquired as to why I was being charged more, they charged me for the overnight storage, additional packing they "had" to do when I was forced to leave them unattended (and really, do you need a large wardrobe box complete with a heavy metal hanging rack when you could have thrown the clothes into a regular box?!), and for the extensive loading and unloading time...none of which was any of my fault.  Honestly, I've been moving at least once a year since I was 14 and it has never been that complicated or time-consuming for me.

After going back and forth with both the movers and the dispatcher, they reluctantly agreed to only charge me $900 that day, and I had to sign a receipt saying I would pay the balance in 2 weeks.

It was not my fault that they showed up with 2 people and took 4 hours to load and unload a 1 bedroom apartment.  It was a complete rip-off to even bother filling out an inventory form in order to receive an accurate estimate when the final price was more than double the estimate.  It was also not my fault that they arrived late and made me miss the leasing office to receive my new keys.  I honestly could have given the original $500 to my friends and had it done so much more efficiently.  I expected professional service from an professional company.  Instead, they were completely disorganized, unprofessional and misrepresented their services.

I would recommend hiring a company that has serviced someone you know.  Otherwise, it would be easier and cheaper, believe it or not, to do it yourself.  On the positive side, nothing was broken or missing/stolen.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/05/2013 11:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Green-Wheels-Van-Lines/Capitol-Heights-Maryland-20743/Green-Wheels-Van-Lines-Green-Wheels-Moving-Completely-Misrepresented-Services-Capitol-Heig-1009200. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Green Wheels Van Lines