Complaint Review: Greenbrier International Inc - Dollar Tree

Greenbrier International Inc - Dollar Tree
500 Volvo Parkway Chesapeake, Virginia United States of America

Greenbrier International Inc -Dollar Tree Religious Insult Chesapeake, Virginia

*General Comment: Om

*Consumer Comment: know what we stand for!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Paisley Complaint

*Consumer Comment: Where can I get several pair...I want to wear them to a Buddhist temple?

*Consumer Comment: Really???

*General Comment: Get Over It.

*Consumer Comment: Idiot.

*Consumer Suggestion: Ha

*Consumer Comment: Voice is right on the money about the Buddhist thing

*Consumer Comment: Hmmm

*Consumer Comment: Ummm...

I went to a Dollar Tree the other day and found heel insoles there packaged by Greenbrier Intl Inc that had a pattern of the popular Om (?) symbol on it. It is very insulting for anyone from the Hindu and/or Buddhist religion to let alone wear, even see this symbol on anything to do with feet.

I feel this has insulted my feelings and I am sure I can say this on behalf of most Hindus. Om is a sign of God for us and I do not approve of it under my feet. Its a huge disrespect.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/01/2012 08:15 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Greenbrier-International-Inc-Dollar-Tree/Chesapeake-Virginia-23320/Greenbrier-International-Inc-Dollar-Tree-Religious-Insult-Chesapeake-Virginia-862147. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Greenbrier International Inc - Dollar Tree

#1 General Comment

Om

AUTHOR: Hambone - ()

Damn people!  Get a life!  Can't you see the HUGE effect this has on our quality of life?  NOT!!!

know what we stand for!

AUTHOR: bravo27 - ()

i dont agree with a word you say , but i will fight to the death for your right to say it! people have lost respect for eachother calling someone an idiot because they are calling a company out is wrong. if they were offened by it and felt ripped off they have every right to be heard and they deserve an explanation as to why this was done and if no offence was intended then the company should just come out and say that. if the invidual bought the item they should at least send him a new pair without the symbols that offended them. they clearly wanted the product and cant use it because its offensive so give them an option to get a pair they can use for a dollar as well since thats the price of the product in question.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Paisley Complaint

AUTHOR: MG9947 - ()

I have to say this because, it's important so listen up. Dollar Tree does not use signs/symbols they know to be offensive. "Paisley" as it's called in the United States is a unique design that's used on Pocketbooks and Clothing among other items including blankets. It's considered beautiful and often reminds people of Peacock feathers. The fact that you would come on here, file a ripoff report and cause a stir towards Dollar Tree, says a lot about your character. Do you really think that the design is a way for America to attack your country? Do you not have anything better to do with your time? Now, you know that Dollar Tree sells it, you can avoid shopping there.

Where can I get several pair...I want to wear them to a Buddhist temple?

AUTHOR: Ken - ()

In my personal belief system, stop signs are a religious symbol and they should all be treated with awe and reverence, but people ignore them all the time.  What can be done about that?

We're a pretty strange populace when we look for anything we can to b**** about.  Get over yourself and grow up.

Organized religion is a MAJOR source of trouble in the world.  Each one believes they are the ONLY true bunch of zealots and fight constantly.  Even the muslims can't stand each others sect and kill each other daily.

Since you know who packaged them, send them some hate mail demonstrating your intolerance.

Really???

AUTHOR: Stacey - ()

When did paisley become offensive???? Grow up and get over it.  You bought them and that was your choice.

#6 General Comment

Get Over It.

AUTHOR: CMW - ()

How can you claim religious offense on a product as such? I mean, the average consumer doesn't know what the symbol is, and probably doesn't care. I know I personally don't know all the symbols to all the religious sects in this world. If you were offended, you should have just left without purchasing anything. To me the symbol looks like some sort of paisley print. I feel they're far more important things to get upset over, and a print is not one of them. Oh yeah, I'm Catholic and protestant religions use the Virgin Mary in their nativity displays. I think I shoulld get upset and file a complaint against every protestant religion that uses the Virgin Mary. It's offensive to leave her outdoors in the elements. Shessh, grow up and get over it.

Idiot.

AUTHOR: Erika - ()

Yeahhhh....grow up and get a life. Who cares? Did you actually buy the product JUST to complain about it on here??? LOL! You just supported the company that made these by doing so, if that is the case.

What a joke of a "rip-off" report!

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Ha

AUTHOR: SaraFirefly - (United States of America)

A) They were a dollar.

B) If it is SO terribly important to you, then why did you not check the packaging before buying them?

C) Grow up.

Voice is right on the money about the Buddhist thing

AUTHOR: Steve - (USA)

While there are many symbols in Buddhism, they are not revered in and of themselves; they simply point to truths, as if they were, well, symbols.  They generally treat the symbols with respect, as it symbolizes their respect for the referent. But they* would not have a problem with wearing these insoles, since it is obvious it is just being used as a design. Buddhists rock.

On a related note, I was cooling my heels in India for a few months a while back, and there was a company (forget the name; Tata? Tansa?) that had a Hindu symbol as its logo, which was a swastika. It was actually in the opposite direction I guess, but I can't tell the difference. Really freaked me out seeing it on their trucks all the time.

*Disclaimer - there are a bazillion types of Buddhism, so some of them might get offended at the insoles. Screw 'em.

Hmmm

AUTHOR: voiceofreason - (United States of America)

And many Non Hindus find the Hindu caste system to be abominable. If I were from a lower caste I'd make a point of wearing these things.

And I'll bet Lord Buddha would roll his eyes at such symbol sensitivity. I don't get from his teachings that he wanted followers to fixate on such distractions.

By the way, for a believer such as yourself of a religion that I'm sure has many varied symbols, where do you draw the limit as to what corporations around the rest of the world can use for embellishing products that might be in contact with disagreeable body parts?

Are they never to use cows, elephants (ie Ganesh), the 2 finger peace sign etc?

Did you make a good faith effort to educate Greenbrier before posting here? Do you really think their designers and vendors know what all your religion's symbols mean?

Did you just complain to some lowly cashier as though that would be adequate for notifying the company itself?

Ummm...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Om is a sign of God for us and I do not approve of it under my feet.
- Then don't buy them.