Complaint Review: Greentree Finance AKA Conseco

• Submitted: Tue, September 23, 2003
  • Updated: Mon, October 13, 2003

• Reported By:Calumet City Illinois
Greentree Finance AKA Conseco
7360 S. Kyrene Road Tempe, Arizona U.S.A.

Greentree Finance AKA Conseco Horrible accounting rip-off rude Tempe Arizona

*Consumer Comment: It's not Greentree, It's Conseco they filed Bankruptcy

*Consumer Comment: "late fees in the hundreds of dollars"

I am also glad to have found this website since I started to feel like I was the only one out there who had been taken advantage of by Greentree/Conseco. They stepped in at a time when I needed debt consolidation but the price has been higher than anything else I've had to pay, starting with an interest rate that's ridiculous!

Now in trying to refinance, I have tried repeatedly to get my payoff rate and they refuse to give it to me. Also, for each month that I have to pay a late fee, it is ALWAYS applied to the principal and I continue to get notices for late fees in the hundreds of dollars. I have called, written but one rep was belligerent enough to tell me "until I can pay on time, they really weren't interested in hearing what I had to say". I would try to get my payoff rate and the woman just kept asking "when do you intend to make another payment" over and over again until I finally slammed the phone down.

I hate this company but cannot seem to get away from them. Someone mentioned a backdoor through a broker - how does that work. I don't want to file bankruptcy to get away from them but I feel like I want to scream.

Wynona
Calumet City, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/23/2003 02:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Greentree-Finance-AKA-Conseco/Tempe-Arizona-85283/Greentree-Finance-AKA-Conseco-Horrible-accounting-rip-off-rude-Tempe-Arizona-67429. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Greentree Finance AKA Conseco

AUTHOR: WP - (U.S.A.)

I wrote this report and as I mentioned, on the times that I am late, the customer service has not credited it correctly. Yes, the general amount goes down but it does not/has not caught up. I have even tried putting seperate checks inside seperate envelopes and mailing them together with a written letter that says "apply to late charge only". The reason the charges got so high is because I have been with them for 6-7 years and they have neglected to to balance the two out. While you may think it works to my advantage, these amounts that are not credited correctly appear as delinquent charges on my credit report. Also, when I called about my payoff amount, my account was NOT past due and I told her the payment would be in on the scheduled pay date but got the same answer - thank you very much. I would appreciate if you add a rebuttal, that you reply with knowledgeable answers and not your opinions. You have no idea what I "deserved" when I applied for this loan, do you?

It's not Greentree, It's Conseco they filed Bankruptcy

AUTHOR: T. - (U.S.A.)

I started my loan with GreenTree Finance Corp..Then Conseco Finace Corp. did a hostile take over of GreenTree, that's when the trouble started. Conseco had their our money spread all over the place. ie. a Winston Cup Nascar car, and many other places they should not have invested in. Conseco has since filed Bankruptcy. Now Greentree Lending Service has stepped back in and retaken control. I have never had hundres of dollars in late fees only one time and that was with Conseco not GreeTree. If you are always late with your payment or are month's behind, that's what's going to happen until your account is brought up to date. My starting rate with GreenTree was low and still is that's the only thing Conseco couldn't goof up. I'm glad to see GreenTree Lending Service back, I don't have to worry about what Conseco may pull next anymore.

After reading the "rip off report" - I noticed a few things.

1. Conseco/Greentree is considered a secondary or sub-prime lender. If you have a high rate, you probably deserved it at the time.

2. Considering you mention the accrual of "hundreds" of dollars in late fees, that probably means your are still continuosly late, which would also effect your ability to refinance.

3. If the money is put towards payments and principal instead of towards late fees, that would be to your advantage. If you put it towards late fees every month and your were still late the next month, it defeats the purpose. If the extra money is put towards the principal and payemnts due, it would eventually catch the account up so it isn't always late.

4. If the representative kept asking, "when do you intend to make another payment" over and over again as you said, were you past due again? And, did you answer the question?