Complaint Review: Greg Lane Automotive

• Updated: Fri, July 02, 2010

• Reported By: Wilson — Tampa Florida United States of America
Greg Lane Automotive
2415 E Sligh Ave Tampa, Florida United States of America

Greg Lane Automotive Did not honor their parts/repair warantee and charged me for services not rendered. Tampa, Florida

*Consumer Comment: Excellent Service.

*Consumer Comment: If they make good...

*Consumer Comment: Positive Greg Lane Automotive Experience

*Consumer Comment: Yeah they may be trying to rip you here..

On 6/09/2010 I took my car to Greg Lane Automotive located at 2415 E Sligh Avenue, Tampa, FL 33610 regarding a service engine soon light that was appearing on my dashboard. A diagnostic was done that day which consisted of plugging in a scanner to read the codes. After this, I arranged to bring my car back for the repairs. Upon looking at the diagnostic receipt, I noticed that there was an additional charge of $6.77 which was added as a hazardous materials fee. This did not seem appropriate given the fact that no hazardous materials were handled during my diagnostic. This is my first area of complaint.

On 06/17/2010, I brought my car back to Greg Lane Automotive around 8:30am to have the repairs done that were previously determined during the diagnostic. Upon dropping off my car, I requested that my parts be given to me and that only the agreed upon repairs be done. Later that day, around 4:15pm, I received a call from Cheryl, the office associate, stating that my car was ready for pick up and she gave me the balance. At that time, I indicated to her that the balance did not seem correct. However, I would discuss this with her when I arrived.

Upon arriving Cheryl notified me of the balance once again and also indicated that there was some oil found on my spark plugs which meant that my valve cover gaskets were starting to fail. I said ok and immediately redirected the conversation to discuss the discrepancy in my balance. I went on to explain to her that it was my understanding that since I paid for a diagnostic and subsequently had the repairs done at the shop, the diagnostic fee would be deducted from my total. At this time she indicated that this was not correct and they always charge a separate diagnostic fee. I told her that I had never been charged this previously. She then pulled up my repair history and after determining that I had never been charged a diagnostic fee in the past, she went on to say that the diagnostic fee is not reflecting on my previous invoices because it was embedded in other costs.

I continued to question her regarding this, as hiding fees/costs seems fraudulent within itself and if there was never a separate line item for a diagnostic fee then how could they justify charging me this fee now. She then left out the office and returned with Greg, the owner. Greg asked me what the problem was. I proceeded to explain the issue to him and I was abruptly cut off by him stating why am I questioning his integrity, I didnt question his integrity when I received the estimate for my repairs.  At this point, I explained to him that the repairs were not the issue. I went on to explain that I am questioning the separate diagnostic fee that I was charged previously. Greg proceeded by telling me his experience, educational background and equipment costs.  I explained to him that was irrelevant and at this point, I just wanted reasonable justification as to why I was being charged a separate diagnostic fee since I had never been charged this before.

Greg became very defensive and said that he would deduct the diagnostic fee of $68. Although I was charged $81.47; I did not further argue this issue with Greg and agreed to pay my balance minus the $68. Greg then proceeded to tell me that they would not be servicing my car any longer and to not come back.

The following day on 06/18/2010 at approximately 8:30am, I contacted Greg Lane Automotive and inquired about the valve cover gaskets. Cheryl answered the phone and I asked her to confirm this needed repair. She indicated that she would call back. At approximately 10:30am, I called back after locating my receipts and indicated to Cheryl that my valve cover gaskets were replaced by them on 10/19/2009 and how do they plan to resolve this. Once again, she indicated that she would call back. I never received any communication from Greg Lane Automotive indicating how they plan to satisfy the warranted parts.  This is my second area of complaint.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/24/2010 04:18 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Greg-Lane-Automotive/Tampa-Florida-33610/Greg-Lane-Automotive-Did-not-honor-their-partsrepair-warantee-and-charged-me-for-service-617239. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Greg Lane Automotive

Excellent Service.

AUTHOR: Jenifer - (United States of America)

I've been a client for approximately 6 years. With 4 cars in my home, at one point or  another, they all have been serviced by Greg Lane Automotive. In the past month, both of my daughters cars broke down. They were extremely helpful to find the needed parts at a very reasonable price. The Mazda needed a new transmission, he kept the car until he could find one, and he did the job for at least $800 less than the quotes I got from 2 different Mazda dealers. The office personnel and mechanics have always been extremely helpful and courteous. They always contact me by phone to inform me what needs to be done and the cost, before the job is done. The only time they did not call me until it was fixed, was because they did not charge me for it. Greg Lane, the owner called me personally (today), to let me know that the car was ready, and the problem was the spark plugs (I'm not very knowledgeable with cars,so hope to get names right), and that those should have been replaced last week when the car was in for repairs. I thank Greg Lane automotive for their good service and honesty. I will recommend them to anyone in the Tampa area.

If they make good...

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

..on the valve cover gasket oil leak that THEY diagnosed, and the customer discovered they replaced the gasket a few months ago, they are ethical.

But it seems suspect to me, like they were not aware they replaced it not too long ago and were looking to "upsell" to rip the customer off. I could be wrong, but Greg Lane has every opportunity to respond.

Positive Greg Lane Automotive Experience

AUTHOR: Robert Olympia,WA. - (United States of America)

I cannot address this consumers experience, only my own. I own an older Ford motorhome with which I had a severe mechanical problem. No Ford dealer would work on it because of its age. One dealer did tell me that the most experienced and knowledgeable individual in the State of Florida that could diagnose and fix the unit was Greg Lane, a man with decades of experience on Ford products.  Not only did Mr. Lane fix the problem, he maintains it and my other car, a classic Buick Riviera to this day. As with many accomplished individuals in any field, Mr. Lane and his able assistant Sharyl, are hard driving no nonsense business people. I trust them completely. I value their professionalism and would recommend them to anyone. If you want fast and cheap car repairs, don't call them. If you want thorough professional auto repair, go see them. Tell 'em Bob sent you.

Yeah they may be trying to rip you here..

AUTHOR: Ronny g - (USA)

The hazardous materials fee is pretty standard and everyone pays the same. It it easier to just divide this cost among all customers then itemize every ounce of spray cleaners and solvents and disposing of old oil and grease etc. Sometimes for something as simple as a code scan they will not charge this, or waive it if you complain, but this gets worse.

80 bucks to plug in a scanner is robbery unless they did any further diagnostics afters the codes were read. But if this shop now charges for this well then they do, the customers will decide if they want to pay that much.

As far as them telling you the valve cover gaskets are bad, and you realize they replaced the gaskets a few months ago..something fishy. Either they did a crappy job, or there is nothing abnormal with the gaskets and a little bolt tightening and engine cleaner can fix. My father had the stunt pulled on him as well.

I think at this point just look for a better mechanic and be done with this one, who doesn't want you as a customer anyhow because you try to question his tactics.