Complaint Review: Gregory Laka & Company

• Submitted: Sat, August 27, 2011
  • Updated: Fri, December 07, 2012

• Reported By: Stalked Engineer — Arlington Heights Illinois United States of America
Gregory Laka & Company
105 West Adams Street, Suite 1350, Chicago, IL Chicago, Illinois United States of America

Gregory Laka & Company Stalkers, not Recruiters Chicago, Illinois

*Consumer Comment: Different experience altogether over many, many years

Gregory Laka & Company are stalkers, not recruiters. They found my resume on monster on began leaving messages on my answering machine and sending me e-mails. In both they stated that a friend had referred me to them (a lie) and that they had a great position that would be perfect for me (another lie).

When I contacted them back the person I talked to barely understood what I do for a living (they seem to provide IT types, I am an embedded systems engineer) and did not have any specific positions in mind. A few days later they called back telling em they had an interview for a great opportunity. They told me that it matched my experience and my salary requirements, so I took the day off from work and went for the interview.

At the interview, I found out that they actual salary of the position was less than half of what GLC told me and that the position was for an IT tech, not an engineer. After this I stopped returning calls from GLC. Over the next two months they flooded my e-mail and answering machine with messages and would not leave me alone. I finally called them back to tell them to stop contacting me and they tried to pitch another worthless interview. When I told them I would not go the recruited began swearing at me and I hung up.

They continue to call and leave messages to this day. I have them blocked on my e-mail; I wish I could block their number on my phone.

Do not get involved with these people. They are not professionals.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/27/2011 02:30 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Gregory-Laka-Company/Chicago-Illinois-60603/Gregory-Laka-Company-Stalkers-not-Recruiters-Chicago-Illinois-769836. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Gregory Laka & Company

Different experience altogether over many, many years

AUTHOR: Data Center Boss - (United States of America)

Im an old school technology guy and Ive been in the business since the 1970s.  As such, Ive just about seen it all.  Ive worked with good folks and less than good folks. Ive worked for some good firms and some I just try to forget.  And Ive worked with tech vendors that run the gamut too.  The pendulum swings wide as they say and I think I have worked with about every firm out there in every vendor capacity.   As a manager in our data center, I know all too well you have to be careful who you work with and trust.

This firm is a good firm. Ive worked with them since the 1980's and they placed me in the job where I am at now. I've probably hired 6 people from them in the last 5 years and frankly, I like them and I trust them.

Not sure what kind of experience happened with this other guy but I cannot imagine why any firm would do that. Just doesnt make sense. Even if you are working with a rookie, there are other people always involved---Ive learned that over the years working with newbie recruiters myself.  Their boss or supervisor always ends up jumping in at some point.  But there is always that other person who is the account executive or whatever they call themselves that works with the company that is paying the headhunting firm.  That person is also involved if only a silent partner.  Sometimes Ive talked to them when working with a recruiter that was less experienced and I had questions they just couldnt answer well. Sometimes, being the coot I am, I just asked to talk to the Big Kahuna and so I know they are there. Always.  Newbie or not, the recruiter just cant do what they want.

Why I bring this up? Well even if a rookie was involved, I just dont see it happening that some recruiter sends someone out to a job that pays way less.  Even if the rookie tried it, the supervisor or Big Kahuna would catch it.  Theres no way theyd let that green bean get away with that.  And besides, what do you think the company would say if that happened?  I can tell you what.  So it makes me wonder, thats all.  I can see you being angry at something but come on, I could swallow some vinegar easier than that.

Let me help you out here.

If you work long enough in the technology business you learn a lot and a lot of your schooling comes from thinking you know a lot when you are young and having the school of hard knocks teach you a few things.  But the longer you live, especially in high tech, the more you learn, it is all about who you know----all about your network. And face it, since many jobs out there are only available via a recruiter, you have no choice. My firm has an exclusive arrangement with this firm and the only way to work here is through them, and our company is happy with them. I've no complaints either. They are effective and consistent. I like that they don't send me 20 resumes to fill the job. Maybe three or four. Tough

job maybe five or six. That is great to me. Let's me work on my job which is tough enough rather than hiring and all the hr stuff.  That I can do without.  Not my cup of tea. Never has been.

Find yourself out of work once or twice and you'll feel about recruiters like many feel about police officers---there is never one around when you really need one. Feel that pain and you'll change your mind real quick.

No longer a young buck, I've become much savvier and I have a large network of recruiting firms because as you get older, you are potentially less hirable. And you never know. In today's crazy world, one minute you or your firm is up, and the next moment, youre down.

Also, I've learned the hard way years ago, you cannot build a valuable network in a day, and so since it costs nothing to listen to what might be out there, it's worth listening when a recruiter calls. I even try to help them out by suggesting others if I am not a good fit. It might help someone else out, and frankly it gets me in good with that recruiter and firm in case I ever need them in a pinch. No harm in helping a little and listening too.

You get up into the six figure income area and jobs are scarcer. Family, mortgage, bills, you need to make sure that network is good in case you need it.

These guys? They are decent. Don't get hung up on them calling or leaving messages. That is what they do. And if they are persistent? So what! I'd certainly want that from them if I was out of work and they were fighting for me.

It is part of their business and industry and it goes with the territory. Anyway, that is my two cents and I think it is reasonable. Thanks to you other contributors for the laugh though. Me? I've been around.

There are bigger things in life to worry about and get worked up on and a bunch of phone calls or some emails are not one of them.

Want to worry? What about the day when no one does call your or email you? What about when no one wants to talk to you or has an interest in your or your skills?

Hasn't happened to you yet? It will. Sonny boy, it will. Trust me.

Then you'll wish your phone would ring.

That is something to truly worry about. Consider this a friendly tip from your uncle Phil.