Complaint Review: Grupo Mayan, Great Vacation Club, Grand Mayan, Mayan Palace

• Submitted: Thu, July 16, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, July 17, 2009

• Reported By:Scottsdale Arizona
Grupo Mayan, Great Vacation Club, Grand Mayan, Mayan Palace
Av. Paseo De Las Moras S/n, Fracc. Náutico Turístico Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico Mexico
  • Phone: 011-52984-206-4066
  • Web:
  • Category: Resorts

Grupo Mayan, Great Vacation Club, Grand Mayan, Mayan Palace Time Share Scam Cancun Benito Jurez

*General Comment: Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam

*Consumer Suggestion: Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam

*Author of original report: resolved

*Author of original report: update

After getting off the plane in Cancun Mexico, I was greeted by a "travel advisor" who acted helpful in providing information about travel in Cancun, the hotels, and things to do. Quickly moved into a timeshare style presentation where I was told that if my wife and I listened to a 45 minute presentation, we would be first fed breakfast, our travel to the hotel would be reimbursed and they'd pay for an excursion of our choice.

Breakfast was good, then they went into the full timeshare spiel. They first tried to sell us 4 units for two weeks with the idea that we'd rent back two of them and it would pay for part of the investment. $150,000. Too much. Then they provided several other options ranging down to about $35,000. All were totally out of our financial reach.

After 2 hours and several final "no!"s, the last person told us that he could sell us a straight 15 week over 10 year package for $17,000. Still too much. He then said that he'd subtract the value of our current time share $15,000 and not even have us sign it over as they consider them worthless trinkets anyway. Now he was down to about $2,000. He discounted that another 20% and was down to $1599. That seemed like a good deal for something he was originally asking $17,000.

It seemed too good to be true and it was. It was an outright lie and a complete scam.

It was supposed to be for 15 weeks where we could select any size unit at the mayan palace resorts (they shows us 6 lovely resort layout clay models) -- no confusion what he was selling -- and all we had to do was pay for maintenance fees, typically about $450/unit/week.

The $450/unit/week was the second part of the scam. When we signed the contracts, we were told at least a dozen times that the $450 in the contract referred to our payment of the maintenance fee. In reality, they sold us a membership in a wholesale vacation club (HSI) where we had the "right" to buy 15 weeks at $450 each. Later investigation revealed that such a $450 week was nothing like the mayan palace. It would be the equivalent of a $70/night motel.

When I returned to the hotel room, I started to get suspicious.
I left several messages on the salesperson's ("Carlos") cellphone. My wife is bilingual, she recognized his outgoing message and his voice so we know we had the right number. Calls were never returned. Send an email to the email they provided me. It was never returned.
I contacted the credit card company to report fraud and to see about getting my money back. They told me that I had an absolute right to revoke a timeshare agreement if I did so within ten days.

Upon returning to the states, I tried again to contact them. HSI said they couldn't cancel the contract, that only the Mayan Group could. They gave me a mexican number which I called. I reached the Mayan Group and they told me that only Carlos could help me and of course he wasn't there. When I asked for somebody else to assist, they hung up on me!

Adamf663
Scottsdale, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/16/2009 05:37 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Grupo-Mayan-Great-Vacation-Club-Grand-Mayan-Mayan-Palace/Nuevo-Vallarta-Mexico/Grupo-Mayan-Great-Vacation-Club-Grand-Mayan-Mayan-Palace-Time-Share-Scam-Cancun-Benito-470544. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Grupo Mayan, Great Vacation Club, Grand Mayan, Mayan Palace

#1 General Comment

Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam

AUTHOR: ThomasR - ()

Unfortunately you got hooked into a timeshare presentation; Mayan Palace is known for particularly hard sell tactics. ALL the transfer companies, car rental companies, etc. are OUTSIDE the airport. The people between Customs and the doors to the outside are almost all timeshare reps (couple of kids trying to make a few bucks hauling luggage for folks also). If you go back to the Riviera Maya do not stop or talk to any of these people until you get outside. If you feel you must be polite just say No gracias and keep walking with your eyes down or straight ahead. Most of them wear these really official looking uniforms and will tell you all sorts of lies, like how you have to show them your transfer papers, etc. Just ignore them and keep going. You should read this article from Mexican Timeshare Solutions on how most of the scams are being committed: Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam

AUTHOR: IsabellaP - (United States of America)

Mayan Palace sales tactics are hardcore and they will tell you anything you want to hear to get you into the contract and keep you in contract with them. It is too common for the sales representative to offer you an upgrade if you already own a timeshare with them. Most of the  Mayan Palace Timeshare Scams being committed by the Sales representative is that they dont let their buyers know they have a 5 days cooling period if they wish to cancel; instead, they repeatedly tell they buyers once the contract is being sign there is no cancellation period.

resolved

AUTHOR: Adamf663 - (U.S.A.)

They saw a report I filed on complaints.com and a representative of theirs worked to resolve my complaint. The money that was taken from me has been returned.

update

AUTHOR: Adamf663 - (U.S.A.)

Ooops; the presentation was supposed to be 90 minutes not 45.
It ran over but I didn't mind as the kept us entertained with the tour of the resort and talk about cancun.