Complaint Review: Grupo Mayan

• Submitted: Sun, November 23, 2008
  • Updated: Wed, December 10, 2008

• Reported By:Louisville Kentucky
Grupo Mayan
Insurgentes Sur 800, Piso 11; Colonia Del Valle C.P. 03100 Mexico, D.F., Other Mexico
  • Phone: 800-292-9446
  • Web:
  • Category: Resorts

Grupo Mayan, Mayan Palace, Grand Mayan Fradulent "Don't Cancel" Agreement Playa Del Carmen Quintana Roo Mexico

*Consumer Comment: Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam

*Consumer Suggestion: Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam

*Consumer Comment: I am in the exact same position!

*Author of original report: Successful resolution

Within the five day period I went to Member Services to cancel my contract.

The representative offered me an alternative to cancelling. This involved reverting my weeks to the company for $1,000 per week for an extended period. He initialed the agreement and said I would receive a document confirming the agreement before I left for home the next morning.

He said he was offering this because Wyndham Resorts, with which Grupo Mayan has an alliance, needed more units available than Grupo Mayan was currently able to provide.

I have never received that document. Nor have I been able to connect with Member Services or the representative who did give me his cell phone number. I have tried several times a day for the past week (since I arrived back home) to connect with both Member Services and the representative's cell phone.

I have now written the Member Services Dept., the representative who made the agreement, the Grupo Mayan company Contact Center (which is listed to handle cancellations), the American Resort Developers Association (Ethics Administrator), and the Wyndham company (which has an "alliance" with Grupo Mayan). I will write the Mexican consulate in Washington, D.C., and the U.S. consulate in Mexico City!

I used my memberships in the Mayan Palace and the Grand Mayan to upgrade to the new Bliss units, and then decided to cancel the upgrade. I am determined to have my upgrade contract canceled and my Mayan Palace and Grand Mayan memberships restored.

In reading the Ripoff Reports, I discovered the Prefeco contact. I will pursue this as well.

Any ideas??

Sarah
Louisville, Kentucky

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/23/2008 06:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Grupo-Mayan/Mexico-DF-Other-03100/Grupo-Mayan-Mayan-Palace-Grand-Mayan-Fradulent-Dont-Cancel-Agreement-Playa-Del-Carmen-394261. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Grupo Mayan

Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam

AUTHOR: SBrittany - ()

My husband and I went to Acapulco for our honey moon in May 2008 and got scam into buying a timeshare at the Mayan Palace for $10,400. Its was a big mistake. We went for a free tour and end up attending a 3 hours sale presentation. They use a lots of sale tactics to trick you into thinking that everything sounds so good. They told us that if we don't use the 2 weeks that we have, we can rent it out for $1000 each and within 5 years we will get our money back. They said its was a good investment for the long term, the value of the timeshare will go up. All are lies. Timeshare are not like real estate, they will not go up. They didn't even tell us about the cancellation policy. I recently did research online and found out that there were many people in the same situation like us. They are all been scam by the mexico timeshares. I hereby encourage that everybody stay away from Acapulco, but if you do go, stay away from the Mayan Palace Timeshare. If anybody offer you a free tour, do not take it. There are consequences behind it.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam

AUTHOR: VC32 - ()

Mayan Palace sales tactics are hardcore and they will tell you anything you want to hear to get you into the contract and keep you in contract with them. It is too common for the sales representative to offer you an upgrade if you already own a timeshare with them. I recommend you to read this article from mexican timeshare solutions about the mayan palace timeshare scams and how to get out of them:

AUTHOR: Dillydally - (U.S.A.)

Hi Sarah, I am in the almost exact same position that you were, if you could share any information so that I may be able to resolve this, such as a person to contact etc... I would be so grateful. As of yet I have not be able to connect with anyone that is able to assist me.

Successful resolution

AUTHOR: Sarah - (U.S.A.)

I am pleased to report I have had a successful resolution to my dispute -to the satisfaction of both parties!