Complaint Review: Guthy Renker - Proactiv Solutions

• Submitted: Tue, February 02, 2010
  • Updated: Sun, March 21, 2010

• Reported By: Amanda — New Hampshire United States of America
Guthy Renker - Proactiv Solutions

Guthy Renker - Proactiv Solutions Guthy-Renker, LLC Deceptive Billing Practices Internet

*Consumer Suggestion: Deceptive sales tactics

*Author of original report: BBB Link

I ordered Proactiv after seeing the commercial for "new & improved formula". It was advertised as $19.95, www.proactiv.com/order/select.php. The pages says $19.95 Order Now! A $72.00 value. And then it goes on to list the free bonuses you will get, refining mask, travel size green tea moisturizer dr secrets to lifetime of clear skin & activmemeber benefits.

I clicked on the order now and it states that it is $19.95 plus $5.99 for shipping. A total of $25.94 It also says next to the picture of what is now in your cart, Proactiv 3-Step System. "When you order today you'll also get a FREE refining mask and travel-size green tea moisturizer! After 30 days, you'll recieve a new 90-day supply of our 3-step system every 3 months at the guaranteed low price of just $19.95 per month plus $7.99 s&h per subsequesnt shipment you accept, which will conviently be billed to the credit card you provide today. Every Proactiv order comes with our 60-day money back guarantee (less s&h)"

Go back and reread that again, 90 day supply-guaranteed low price of $19.95 per 3 months. Got it? Good, now read what they wrote back to me after I questioned them..

Also, BEWARE! What you order & think you are paying is not true. I received my shipment and on the invoice it states that this is only 1 of 2 installments of $19.95.

I have questioned them on this and this was their response..
"The invoice included in your shipment will reflect the total cost of the order; however, the payments are split into two charges. The first installment includes the shipping & handling along with applicable taxes. The following installment is charges 28 days from the first installment & will include the remaining balance. Once you are enrolled in the Preferred Customer with ActivMemeber Benefits where you will recieve a 60 club kit every 2 months at $39.95"

So a 60 day must cost much more than the 90 supply that was advertised on their website. They also do not mention on the website or the emailed receipt about the 2nd installment. I find these to be very deceptive billing practices. I hope others that are finding themselves in the same situation to come forward and share your story.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/02/2010 07:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Guthy-Renker-Proactiv-Solutions/internet/Guthy-Renker-Proactiv-Solutions-Guthy-Renker-LLC-Deceptive-Billing-Practices-Internet-563746. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Guthy Renker - Proactiv Solutions

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Deceptive sales tactics

AUTHOR: ca2or - (United States of America)

Unfortunately, I endured the EXACT same thing that happened to you. They're a bunch of sheisters! In short, I ordered the Proactiv 3-Step System for $19.95 +SH, and by the second shipment, I was being billed $60 for the extra large size!

So, I went online to try and figure out my billing situation, it was completely useless (only "basic" information, like, address change forms, etc.) I submitted an email question, and have yet to hear a response (they said it would take 3 to 4 days to respond, it's been nearly 2 weeks.) So I called customer service and was told that when I signed up online, I missed the bit about receiving a 90-day supply right after my first order...!!! What?! Customer Service agent Dan said the information is there, to "protect the customer" he said. And then he went on to tell me that most people do the same thing, and that in fact he too had done it when he ordered online. I said, "so how does that help the customer then?" He didn't respond.

I cancelled my account right then and there. Customer service said they'd refund the $60 as soon as they received the goods (which he said usually takes 4-6 weeks. Again, what?!?) But, my guess is that they'll still bill me... Again... and again... I already see many angry calls to Proactiv in my future.

I should have known better. About 7 years ago, I had ordered Proactiv, used it for about a year, then cancelled. They proceeded to bill me for months after that. So, if you want to purchase Proactiv, I would only do so via telephone, never online, and get things extremely straight before hanging up. Know their products, and know what you want. You can even choose how often they ship it to you right then and there. Good luck!

BBB Link

AUTHOR: Sarasvati - (United States of America)

Here is their company profile on BBB