Complaint Review: HBSC - Orchard Bank

• Submitted: Wed, July 25, 2007
  • Updated: Sat, July 28, 2007

• Reported By:Bantam Connecticut
HBSC - Orchard Bank
PO Box 80004 Salinas, California U.S.A.

HBSC - Orchard Bank HBSC did not close my account 2/07 as requested and racked up bill due to annual fee originating 4/11/07 ripoff Salinas California

*Consumer Suggestion: BBB Vs Orchard Bank AKA as HSBC

As a customer for over 3 years with HBSC/Orchard Bank I was a bit dismayed at what has transpired. HBSC was the only credit card I carried out of 5 which had an annual fee and a high apr so I made the decision to close my account in February 2007.

At that time, I called the customer service number and asked to have my account closed - I was told I was all set and that was that. unfortunately I received a May statement from HBSC stating an annual fee had been charged in the amount of $59.00. I called HBSC and was told they had no record of my request to close the account in February and they would credit my account the $59 fee and close the account.

I received a June statement saying I still owed the annual fee plus additional late fees and interest. I called again and was told, they were terribly sorry, the account would be closed and all fees and charges credited. I was also told to expect a letter to confirm the closure.

In July, I received yet another statement from HBSC, this time, the amount was up $156.63. I called again and was told there was no record of my previous conversations, the account was still open and I would need to pay $60.00 to have the matter settled. The customer service rep. said she could credit me the additional fees but not the annual fee. I had to pay $60.00 for an annual fee on an account I do not even own a card for.

The Rep. also told me that although she could credit the charges - aside from the annual fee - I could write a letter to try to get a refund of the annual fee after I paid it.

But, she did not think I would get my refund.
At least as of a phone call to check in today, my account is finally recorded as closed! what a ripoff!

Michelle
Bantam, Connecticut

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/25/2007 01:08 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HBSC-Orchard-Bank/Salinas-California-93912/HBSC-Orchard-Bank-HBSC-did-not-close-my-account-207-as-requested-and-racked-up-bill-due-263119. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HBSC - Orchard Bank

#1 Consumer Suggestion

BBB Vs Orchard Bank AKA as HSBC

AUTHOR: Zelda - (U.S.A.)

I had them pull the exact same thing, except I never activated the card. I was told the same lies you were, and hit the ceiling when I got a bill with a late fee a month later. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and amazingly, I got a letter from Orchard confirming my closed account and a phone call from HSBC. I still would never carry a orchard bank card and will likely close my other account HSCB