Complaint Review: HHGregg

• Submitted: Wed, June 27, 2007
  • Updated: Sun, November 25, 2007

• Reported By:Powell Tennessee
HHGregg
6741 Clinton Highway Knoxville, Tennessee U.S.A.

HHGregg Ripoff Business Practices Russ Best local store manager says You deal with Toshiba Knoxville Tennessee

*Consumer Suggestion: why blame hh gregg?

*Author of original report: Response to anonymous "employee"

*Author of original report: HHGregg Russ Best 62HMX95 Toshiba Lamp

*Consumer Comment: If I Read This Right

I purchased a Toshiba 62HMX95 rear projection television from HHGregg last summer. The first one I got home had part of the screen missing. After returning it they gave me another. This one worked fine til February when the lamp blew. Toshiba replaced the lamp. In May the lamp blew again. At that point I started looking on the internet for lamp problems in these Toshiba units. Sure enough, there is page after page of them. I call Toshiba who tells me they knew of no problem, even though I tell them where to look. I speak to a manager of customer service. Still no luck. I go to HHGregg and explain the situation to floor manager Steve Miles. He tells me don't worry we will take care of this. They send out someone from Norman Electronics. Norman's says its working fine now, to which my reply was no, something is causing these lamps to fail too soon. He says there is nothing he can do. I go back to HHGregg. Spoke again to Steve Miles, one of their sales reps, and Russ Best. I had a few friends with me. The sales rep and Steve Miles both said they knew about Toshiba having this issue. They tell me that HHGregg has a vendor relations department and that they can work with Toshiba to let HHGregg return my problem television.

Monday I call HHGregg and ask for Russ Best. He says oh yeah, I remember you. He said I'll give you a call back shortly, let me see what I can do. He calls back a half an hour later and says "you have to deal with Toshiba".

I have documented everything. Including web sites that speak of many others with the same issue. This web site, and other web sites where customers voice their opinions on the quality of HHGregg's and Toshiba's customer service. See (((ROR redacted))) for all the information. I will never shop there again. I'll also do my best to inform my neigbors as well about my experience with HHGregg, and hope they make a better educated consumer decision prior to purchasing their next major appliance.

Joseph
Powell, Tennessee

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on HHGregg

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/27/2007 07:34 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HHGregg/Knoxville-Tennessee-37921/HHGregg-Ripoff-Business-Practices-Russ-Best-local-store-manager-says-You-deal-with-Toshiba-257138. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HHGregg

#1 Consumer Suggestion

why blame hh gregg?

AUTHOR: Bidniz - (U.S.A.)

why blame hh gregg? why not blame toshiba for making a s*&*& tv.

Response to anonymous "employee"

AUTHOR: Joseph - (U.S.A.)

Wow, as usual it seems, an ANONYMOUS HHGregg employee is here to back up his company. First, let me again say who I am. My name is Joe Doheny. I live in Powell TN.

I'll address what the anonymous employee had to say.

First point the responsibility of the vendor:

"It is about time that consumers started taking some responsibiity and quit blaming retail stores for imagined slights."

In all honesty, I was under the impression that HHGregg would stand behind the product they sell in my neighborhood. The management at the store, told me that they would stand behind the product they sell (while standing in front of a good number of Toshiba's they were still selling). I went into the store with a number of friends. Spoke to a number of people, up to and including Russ Best, who I believed to be the manager there. The salesman who as you so put it is "the most knowledgable salespeople in the industry and is trained on a regular basis" told me and two of my friends that he knew of Toshiba's problems with lamps for this particular series of televisions. Maybe, Mr. Anonymous company poster, you should have talked to one of your "most knowledgable salespeople in the industry" to find out if this is an "imagined slight" prior to making your post.

Second point "There is no better place to purchase TVs or Appliances.":

You have a biased opinion there Mr. Anonymous poster. I would think that checking the Better Business Bureau, would lead to a much less biased opinion. I challenge you, or anybody for that matter to explain why there is no better place than HHGregg to purchase TVs or Appliances, when the Better Business Bureau recommends NOT doing business with them. Then search the BBB for your competition "Best Buy". It really doesn't take a rocket scientist, or a "most knowledgable salesperson in the industry" to realize that one opinion is biased, and one is not.

Third point Validity of the problem with Toshiba lamps:

I do not doubt that there is a good percentage of folks with televisions which are getting the expected life of a lamp. However, might I suggest searching the web to see if there are others in the same camp. Try googling hmx95 lamp problem. I really can't agree with you in that you say that there "is no problem with any manufacturer". I guess its hard, again, to trust HHGregg, when Toshiba has admitted they have had problems with these televisions, and have extended lamp warranties for a good number of them which had been manufactured during a certain period of time. So again, my choice is to believe an anonymous hhgregg employee who won't list his name, job title and location of store he works at. Or believe Toshiba who posts information on their corporate web site which I'm pretty sure means they are standing behind what they are saying.

Fourth point "My point"

My television is connected to a small APC UPS. My television blew two lamps, in less than 4 months. These are $200 lamps. What do I want HHGregg to do for its customers? Stand up for their customers when the manufacturer will not stand behind its product. Use its buying power to make certain that their customer is not getting ripped off. Tell Toshiba they won't sell their product if they will not stand behind it, at least for that first year!

Fifth point "The Vendor Relations Department"

I'm glad you brought that one up. That was brought up in conversation in store, when it was me, a few of my friends, the "most knowledgable sales person in the industry", the floor manager, and the store manager Russ Best. Every one of them said to me, "Joe, don't worry, we have a vendor relations department that will take care of this." They then put something in the computer and told me they just put in some requisition to get the department involved. The store manager Russ Best, gave me his business card and said call me if there are any troubles. So I called Russ that following Monday. His response was, let me call them and find out where they are at. Half an hour later, I get a call from Russ Best who says "the vendor relations department said for YOU TO DEAL WITH TOSHIBA". I guess I'm curious as to if these folks who work in the "vendor relations department" are the "most knowledgable vendor relation personel" in the industry?

Sixth point "The Extended Warranty"

Could I suggest that you search this ripoffreport here for case #237276. I don't get it. In all honesty that rebuttal written by what is referred to as an "employee insider" has a little more credibility. He at least gives his first name and the town he is from. Yet look at how he responds to the belief that customer had that there is an unlimited bulp replacement policy. And pretty much contradicts everything you say about the warranty policy here.

In honesty, I would think that your company would gain some credibility if they were to hire someone who responds to places like this. Someone who is going to post their name, phone number, position, etc. Someone who is going to say "I am speaking for HHGregg". Yet what I've seen here is someone who speaks pretty anonymously, contradicting what the other hhgregg person wrote. As far as the training goes, I would honestly suggest adding some training on the subject "Business Ethics". And it would really be good to have it taught by someone who does not have any financial motivation to train folks to make a buck any way they can.

Joe
Powell TN

AUTHOR: Unicron - (U.S.A.)

First of all, the particulars of this incident shouldn't even matter. As the other person said, HHGregg, Best Buy, Circuit City, and the others do not make TVs. Our store sells the TVs. After the return period, it is not the store's responsibility to take care of Toshibas warranty issues. It doesn't matter if you spent 50$ or 5000$. Just because something was expensive doesn't mean a retail store is banking big bucks off of unwary consumers. Please complain to the people who really get the money if there is actually something worthy of complaint. It is about time that consumers started taking some responsibiity and quit blaming retail stores for imagined slights. HHGregg provides the most knowledgable sales people in the industry and trains them on regular business. We meet personally with manufacturer reps and buyers on a regular basis. There is no better place to purchase TVs or Appliances.

Toshiba knew of no lamp problem because there is no lamp problem with any manufacturer. Where do you think the handful of people with burnt out lamps go to complain? The internet. For every page you see complaining about some big lamp conspiracy, there are hundreds of satisfied Toshiba, Samsung, JVC, Sony, Mitsubishi... etc users out there enjoying 6,000 hours of life from their bulbs (myself included).

You have also failed to mention what, if any, surge protection or power conditioning equipment hooked up to the tv. This is the most common cause of any household lights premature death. In fact, it only takes one power outage to blow a new lamp. They have fans to cool the bulb for a reason. If there is a sudden power loss, you have a very hot light bulb in an enclosed space. No power loss in recent times? How about the 20-30 power surges a day in your house every time the furnace/air conditioner/fridge turns on?

In addition, the "bad service" you think you got is not because of the store. I believe the store immediately took care of your damaged TV, as they are expected to. Many months later when your bulb blew out, it looks like HHGregg assisted you further in getting a technician out to your home (even though it was not their obligation). So what exactly is your issue with HHGregg. I don't even see the complaint? I see that you are angry with Norman Electronics and Toshiba, but what did HHGregg do wrong? We do have a vendor relations department who tries to fight for the customer, even when they have no obligation to. If the manufacturer can't help, it is not a retail stores fault.

And finally, in regards to extended warranty- YES there are unlimited bulb replacements, it IS in writing, and we DO give out warranty pamphlets. In addition to that, it also covers surge protection, which no manufacturer does.

HHGregg Russ Best 62HMX95 Toshiba Lamp

AUTHOR: Joseph - (U.S.A.)

I'm responding to the comments from Corey in TX.

I bought the tv. I brought the television home, took it out of the box and it was broken, missing the top part of the screen. Yes, they did "allow" me to find a friend who had a truck to bring the television that I just purchased that was DOA back. Honestly, I never thought of that as a "nice" thing that they were doing for me. I expect it.

I brought a new one home, that worked for about 6 months before the lamp (which is supposed to last 6000 - 8000 hours, per Toshiba) blew out. TOSHIBA did replace the lamp. 3 months later the lamp blew AGAIN. I've had the tv about 9 months at that point in time. I then searched the internet for 62HMX95 and Lamp. I realize then, that I am not in the boat alone. Lots of others are having problems with $250 lamps blowing 2 to 3 months after installing them. There is a 1 year manufacturer warranty on the television. Toshiba will NOT acknowledge that they have a problem even though others are in the same boat. Toshiba has replaced the LAMPS, yet will not address whatever is causing these to blow so often.

The sales rep in the store told me and a few of my friends how they KNEW that Toshiba has produced televisions that are blowing lamps at a rate that is not near the expected life term. He told me this as he is standing in front of a good number of other Toshiba DLP television sets they have up for sale.

Who's problem is it to fix the television? Honestly it is Toshiba's. If a case gets brought to court then it would be Toshiba who we would fight. However, when I purchase a product from a store, I do expect them to stand behind the products they are selling. If the store KNOWS, which this salesman told me they do, that there are a high percentage of lemons being sold by them, then I expect the vendor to stand up to the manufacturer and tell them to fix the television or we don't sell your product anymore.

I believe, that a retailer should support their customers. I am not saying this is their job, I'm saying thats what I believe a good business would do. I was told in store that they could use their vendor relations department to get a RMA from Toshiba. I was told that in the store, then when I call back the manager Russ Best on Monday he tells me "You deal with Toshiba".

If the television does continue to give troubles like this I will take the appropriate action against Toshiba. But I'll also do everything I can to promote to the community that I live in that when you purchase an appliance from HHGregg you are "ON YOUR OWN" if it is a lemon.

I read an article from a previous poster on this site saying that she bought a tv from HHGregg. That the sales rep told her that the extended warranty she bought would cover unlimited amounts of bulbs. Someone who appeared to be from HHGregg posted saying something to the effect of why would we sell a warranty for $275 that would cover as many $250 lamps as are needed during the life of the warranty. He later tells her how the customer gets NO PRINTED TERMS of the warranty. He said they do not hand out warranty certificates anymore. So you drop the $275 on a warranty that gives you no assurance that your problem will be resolved under this warranty.

If HHGregg does not want to stand behind the product that they sell that is their decision. If someone purchasing a major appliance from their store and getting stuck with a lemon is none of their business, then so be it. Next time I would check the better business bureau prior to making a purchasing decision like this. If I would have done this prior to dealing with HHGregg, I would have never walked into their store. However, if this happened to a neighbor of mine, I would certainly be expecting them to tell me of their experience so as I do not make the same mistake.

If I Read This Right

AUTHOR: Cory - (U.S.A.)

You've had the TV for appox. one year. You had a problem with the TV when you got it home and they replaced it free of charge. Then about 6 or 7 months later you had another problem which they repair again free of charge. Then 3 months later, the lamp blows out again. They send someone out again. Now he says it works fine. I don't know and you don't say if they replaced a lamp again. Did the store have a 30 day return policy? Then after that did the MFG's 90 day or 1 year warranty kick into effect? You probably would have had the same problem if you had bought it a best buy or circut city.

The same holds true if you buy a vehicle from ford or gm. The dealer's not gonna give you your money back or a new vehicle if you have problems with their vehicle. As much as I hate to say it, they sell 'em not mfg 'em. It figures toshiba's disavowing any knowledge of the problem.