recommendations

• Updated: Tue, June 15, 2010

• Reported By: Bryan — Frederick Maryland USA
HMS Homesure Services
Fort Lauderdale, Florida United States of America

HMS Homesure Services, Inc. Refuses to do the necessary work on the air conditioning -- even at the hottest part of the summer! Fort Lauderdale Florida

*Consumer Comment: Another victim of Homesure

Last Friday evening, my air conditioner failed.  First thing Saturday morning, I called HMS to place a claim.  They told me that someone would be calling me later that day to make an appointment to check the unit.

Late that afternoon, no one had called yet, so I called HMS back again, and was given a different company.  When that company did not call me back either, I called HMS yet again and was told they would cover whatever company I would select.

I found a local contractor who agreed to come out first thing Sunday morning.  While he was a little late, he quickly diagnosed the problem as a burned-out fan motor.  He called HMS, as requested, to report the problem and request permission to do the work.

Here begins the procrastination of HMS.  They said they would have to wait until business hours (M-F) to approve the claim -- even though the temperature on Sunday was forecast to reach 98 degrees in high humidity.

I called them each day, not getting anywhere.  On Wednesday, I was told that my contractor was approved to do the work, but that he would have to use HMS's part, and they would need 24-48 hours to locate the part.  Of course, the claims department is sleeping in air conditioned houses and has no real motivation to get the work done.

I called back today (Friday) since it has now been over 48 hours without any return call.  I asked to speak with a supervisor, waited on hold for about 15 minutes, and was finally hung up on by Cindy of HMS.  (I was not rude in any way, just persistent.)

I called back again (after waiting futilely for a return call) and was allowed to speak to the claims department.  The man there (Jason, I think) is the least kind person I spoke with in this whole experience so far.  He did say that HMS would agree to pay me for the contractor's labor plus the cost they (HMS) had for the part.  When I asked how much money that would be, I was told that only the parts department would have that information.

I asked to speak to someone in the parts department.  He told me that this department does not speak with customers!  I was incredulous at this reply.  Perhaps even more frustrating, though, was his promise (I made him promise) to call me back after he spoke with the parts department to get the cost of the fan motor.  Of course, that was three hours ago, and I have yet to hear from anyone at HMS.

This has actually been a pattern.  In spite of repeated promises, they have NEVER called me.  They have hung up on me, but not returned a call -- even when they have the word (four different times!)

From my admittedly limited perspective, I believe this company is nothing but a sham.  Their goal appears to make me wait so long that I give up and pay for the work myself.  They also appear to want to make the process as painful as possible to accomplish that goal.  I would recommend that you stay away from this company.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/14/2009 02:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HMS-Homesure-Services/Fort-Lauderdale-Florida-33355/HMS-Homesure-Services-Inc-Refuses-to-do-the-necessary-work-on-the-air-conditioning-e-480033. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HMS Homesure Services

Another victim of Homesure

AUTHOR: Antonio - (United States of America)

I too have been jerked around by this company.  Signed on over a year ago and this year my air conditioner stopped working.  It has been a month now and in that time this company has not contacted me once and each time I called them they have my issue in a different step of the process.  They are a disgrace and I will be cancelling the policy as soon as I my air conditioner is replaced (if I survive the 95 degree heat!).

If you're considering a policy with this company save yourself the money and extreme frustration.  I do wish there was a way to get them out of business.