Complaint Review: HOTWIRE RENTAL CAR - HOTWIRE.com

• Submitted: Mon, June 27, 2005
  • Updated: Mon, June 27, 2005

• Reported By:Green Bay Wisconsin

I was looking for a rental car for my upcoming vacation in Florida - I checked the prices on Orbitz and saw a link on the top of the page saying FOR DEEP DISCOUNTS CHECK OUT HOTWIRE.

I clicked on the link and found myself at Hotwire - which is an Orbitz subsidiary. all of the information about where and when I wanted the car was already filled in to the form as I had just filled in at Orbitz.com. Orbitz had quoted a price around $350. Hotwire quoted $328 so I went with it.

But when I received my confirmation all of the information was right except the beginning date. It had been July 18th to the 29th- now it was July 19th to the 29th. I called Hotwires customer service number and they semed very friendly they explained that they could add the extra day - and when they did - the price jumped to $418!!

I said that it was ridiculous that I should have to pay $90 for an extra day. They said that in the five minutes I had called the rate had jumped - I asked for a refund and was told of course that they were doing me a big favor in helping me in any way and that this was a special one-time refund repurchase I could have or stick with my original deal.

Since my booking was with Avis (through Hotwire) I then visited the Avis website out of curiousity and found I could book the SAME car on the SAMe days DIRECTLY FROM AVIS FOR for $368!!!! ($299.40 + $69 for all taxes and fees).

DEEP DISCOUNTS???? What a RIP-OFF!!! You can do better on the web directly!!! I thought they had a guarantee of some sort that they offered the lowest price - of course they don't - but they do offer more restrictions than Avis would have.

NEVER DEAL WITH HOTWIRE. Look for a better deal paying retail on your own!!!

Green Bay, Wisconsin

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/27/2005 09:27 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HOTWIRE-RENTAL-CAR-HOTWIREcom/internet/HOTWIRE-RENTAL-CAR-HOTWIREcom-JACKED-CAR-RENTAL-PRICE-UP-NO-BARGAIN-AT-ALL-RIPOFF-In-147633. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HOTWIRE RENTAL CAR - HOTWIRE.com