Complaint Review: HR Block

• Reported By: gman — Yigo Hawaii
HR Block
310 W RT 8STE 108 Barrigada, Select State/Province Guam

HR Block Charges to NOT file Taxes Barrigada Guam

My work status changed since I was prior active duty military and transferred over to the reserves this year and I also live in Guam so when I went to file my federal taxes I was having some issues. I decided to call HR Block to see if they could help and they said they could and would help me get my full refund so I decided to go in.

Once there, and under the impression that I was going to receive assistance with both my federal and state tax returns, I was told that I need to sign the paperwork before we begin and that my charges would be around $280. I did not know there were cheaper places here and figured if they could help me with both of my returns it would be worth it. Well it wasnt.

After we started I found out that we were only doing the state refund and that I could not file both state and federal here. (I believe this is actually true but I did not know this at the time and I was not told any of this on the phone or before we started or I would not have gone there.) At this point, even if I walked out I was told I would be billed a minimum of $75, and I certainly did not want to pay them $75 for nothing. So after everything was done I was told to wait for a call and then I could come in and pick up the finalized papers and file them at the DMV.

Yes. They told me that I had to go wait in line and file them myself! So what did I pay them $280 for? I gave them all the answers and they just typed it into their computer. I have done this on my own for the past few years but I didnt understand the unusual tax situation being in Guam (a US Territory, not a State).

They couldnt even explain the tax laws very well. I knew many of the laws better than they did, although not enough of them unfortunately or I would not have ended up in this situation.

So in the end I paid them $280 to type on a computer. I am well aware that I will likely never get any of this money back and the only way to do so would be to file a small claims report, which I could still lose and then I would have the added cost, time, and hassle of going to court.

My only hope now is that others will see this report and steer clear of HR Block. Maybe one day I will get to drive by their office and see that they have closed their doors for good. That would put a smile on my face.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/15/2014 12:26 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HR-Block/Barrigada-Select-StateProvince/HR-Block-Charges-to-NOT-file-Taxes-Barrigada-Guam-1138904. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HR Block