Complaint Review: H&S Jewelers - Valencia Jewelers

• Submitted: Tue, April 14, 2009
  • Updated: Sat, November 19, 2011

• Reported By:Baxter Minnesota
H&S Jewelers - Valencia Jewelers
22 Main Street St Thomas, Virgin Islands (U.S.)
  • Phone: 340-774-2230
  • Web:
  • Category: Jewelers

H&S Jewelers - Valencia Jewelers BEWARE! THESE GUYS RUN A HUGE SCAM ALL OVER THE ISLAND! THEY LIE AND CHEAT St Thomas - US Virgin Islands

*Consumer Comment: They are nice....

*General Comment: MY EXPERIENCE AT BELLA JEWELERS

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Clarifying Ownership

*Consumer Comment: Now another new name

*Author of original report: *UPDATE ..

On 3/10/2009, we purchased a 2.15 ct diamond and a blue diamond ring from H&S Jewelers (Venicia Jewelers) in St. Thomas for $8800. We were told that the loose diamond was graded as:
Color: G-H
Clarity: SI- SI
Appraised value: $15,000

We were also told by their owner Sunny that they stand by the quality of everything that they sell. He also said that we had 30 days to return the items and that we should have someone in the United States look at them to ensure their quality. We were also told don't worry, we are considered part of the United States and there won't be any issues, if you decide to send anything back. Upon returning to the United States, we had some other professionals inspect the diamond and were told that we had not received a diamond of that the quality that they claimed it was.

We made several attempts to notify the store with no success. My fianc and I also sent them an email with our concerns. We never heard back from them. I also continued to try to reach them by phone. It was at this time that we decided to take it upon ourselves to have the diamond professionally appraised, with the intention of sending the items back via certified, insured mail. On 3/20/09, several attempts were made again to speak with someone at the store. Again, we were unsuccessful. On 3/20/2009, we also took the diamond to a GLA approved appraiser and paid to have the diamond officially appraised. The appraisal showed:
Color: I
Clarity: Low I
Replacement value: $8,275

Again, multiple attempts were made to reach the store. Finally, we were able to someone named Sunny. After I explained everything that occurred, he informed me to send everything back.

A day later, I sent the diamond and ring back to H&S Jewelers, via registered mail and requested a return receipt.

Unfortunately, the ring was returned to us, as H&S Jewelers refused the package when they received it.

These guys run a huge scam. They have people all over the island (Americans) that tell you stories and make small talk to get you in to their stores.

Robert
Baxter, Minnesota

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/14/2009 04:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HS-Jewelers-Valencia-Jewelers/St-Thomas-00802/HS-Jewelers-Valencia-Jewelers-BEWARE-THESE-GUYS-RUN-A-HUGE-SCAM-ALL-OVER-THE-ISLAND-443550. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on H&S Jewelers - Valencia Jewelers

They are nice....

AUTHOR: FG Johnson - (United States of America)

Until there is a problem. Then they become the nastiest people on earth.

We bought a $12,500 ring from them that they claimed to be an SI1 I. Upon appraisal at home it turned out to be I2 K. with a retail value of no more than $6000. They said our appraiser was lying. We had the stone removed and sent to GIA. It came back as Fracture Filled for clarity and L for color, worth even less. This stone is pure junk, mostly glass filler. My jeweler said he wouldn't buy it for $500.

After several calls, Sunny finally cursed at my wife and hung up on her. He will not speak to us and just told us that if we were unhappy to get a lawyer but he would not speak to us again.

My wife is heartbroken and we are out a lot of money. We will pursue this farther with the credit card processor and, if needed, a lawyer.

I want my money back and I want to see them closed forever.

They are outright thieves.

#2 General Comment

MY EXPERIENCE AT BELLA JEWELERS

AUTHOR: charles buffet - (United States of America)

MY WIFE AND I TRAVEL TO ST THOMAS ON OUR HONEYMOON ON 4/10/11.,,DURING OUR STAY THERE WE DECIDED TO HEAD DOWNTOWN MAIN STREET AND DO A LITTLE SHOPPING..,WE RAN INTO BELLA JEWELERS AND MY WIFE DECIDED SHE WOULD LIKE TO DO A LITTLE WINDOW SHOPPING.,,AFTER A FEW MINUTES OF BROWSING SHE FOUND A RING IN WHICH SHE FELL IN LOVE WITH.,,THE PRICE OF THE RING WAS A LITTLE MORE THAN WE WANTED TO SPEND.,,LONG STORY SHORT THE SALES PERSON(CAROLINA) DID EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO GET THE RING AT OUR PRICE RANGE.,,AND SHE DID.,CAROLINA GOT THE RING DOWN TO OUR PRICE RANGE AND WE BOUGTH IT.,,AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR OF FRIENDLY BARGANING.,,HAHAHA..,WE WILL DEFINATELY COME BACK AND SHOP WITH HER AGAIN.,THE SERVICE WAS EXELLENT.,,I WAS IN SHOCK WHEN I READ THE RIP OFF REPORT THAT WAS THERE ABOUT BELLA JEWELERS SINCE WE HAD SUCH A WONDERFULL EXPERIENCE.,,I WILL RECOMEND BELLA JEWELERS TO ALL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY.,,I SAY GIVE THEM A CHANCE AND YOU BE THE JUDGE,,AND IF YOU ARE READING THIS CAROLINA.,MY WIFE AND I WILL BE SEENING YOU SOON ON OUR NEXT TRIP.,,GOOD LUCK

MR AND MRS BUFFET

LITHONIA,GA

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Clarifying Ownership

AUTHOR: JEWELER - (Virgin Islands (US))

Hello I would like to have the information you have giving clarify to you and everyone . Bella Jewelers is a corporation in the VI and has  no such affiliation with any other jewelery business in St. Thomas specially not H&S Jewelers . I am asking you to please have this comment removed from this site because you are slandering our business name . We Thank You in advance .

Now another new name

AUTHOR: william - (United States of America)

H & S Jewelers has changed it's name (again)to Bella Jewelers. They closed the store at the end of main street and are now only on Radaats Gade.

Name changes are a way to close a credit card processing account that has problems (chargebacks etc) and get a "fresh" start.

This is the same Sunny that has been ripping off people for years.

We were lucky...we bought a ring for my wife. On our way out, we overheard him say to his employee "taking money from Jews is almost as good as killing them"

We went back in and tried to cancel the purchase. Sunny became very aggressive, almost violent. We left the ring on his counter and stepped outside and called the credit card company and explained the situation. They called him and asked where the ring was. He said right on my counter, but it belongs to us and he refused to refund. The credit card cancelled the purchase right there. He then followed us down the street threatening us. We hopped in a taxi and went back to the ship.

These guys are very bad news. Stay away. They ruined our enjoyment of our trip, but thank G*d we didn't get taken like so many others

*UPDATE ..

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

They are also known as Venicia Jewelers, not Valencia