Complaint Review: HSBC Retail Services

• Submitted: Tue, February 09, 2010
  • Updated: Tue, February 09, 2010

• Reported By: shorty — Turners Falls Massachusetts Virgin Islands (US)
HSBC Retail Services
P.O.Box 17298 Baltimore, Maryland United States of America
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category:

HSBC Retail Services Best Buy Experts in bilking customers with "promotional" charges Baltimore, Maryland

*Consumer Comment: Always read the terms

I purchased a Sony TV from Best Buy Store using Best Buy Credit Card for $1950.00 plus tax in 2007.. I faithfully sent HSBC Retail Svcs. $50.00 every month - they only asked for $16.00 but I wanted to get this paid for. After sending in my January 2010 payment of $50.00 my balance was $1561.43 - their interest rate is an astounding 29.24%. Four days ago I received a new bill from them showing a balance of $3930.83. The bill states that $2408.00 was added as "deferred finance charges". I refute this bill as I know all I owe is $1561.43 - the finance charges are more than the TV cost....I cut up my Best Buy Credit Card 14 months ago...I have purchased nothing from them - only that one TV. This is totally criminal..I am 78 y.o., on a fixed income, have been totally honest all my life...worked all my life starting when I was 8 y.o. with a paper route....wound up doing computer work. I called on the phone about this and was given people in India, China, etc., who could not understand or explain anything. These people are criminals...I need a lawyer....

Never do business with these creatures...they will rob you blind.

Is there some legal recourse that will assist me?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/09/2010 01:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HSBC-Retail-Services/Baltimore-Maryland-21297-1298/HSBC-Retail-Services-Best-Buy-Experts-in-bilking-customers-with-promotional-charges-Bal-566863. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HSBC Retail Services

Always read the terms

AUTHOR: habanerosi - (USA)

It sounds as if you didn't fully read the terms of your agreement which, by the sounds of it, had a deferred interest component.  If you don't pay off the loan within the specified period, you are responsible for the interest deferred during the promotional period.

Buyer beware.