• Report: #419143

• Submitted: Mon, February 02, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, March 06, 2009

• Reported By:Omaha Nebraska
HSBC Via ORCHARD BANK
orchardbank.com Salinas, California U.S.A.

HSBC Via ORCHARD BANK Sent reward check $5 for being a "valued customer". VERY fine print authorized shady companies access to card once check was cashed. Refused to close account. Salinas California

*Consumer Comment: I GET SIMILAR CHECKS FROM HSBC AND IT IS NOT IN FINE PRINT

*Consumer Comment: Blame them for you not reading?

*Consumer Comment: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS

I opened a credit card account with Orchard Bank (affiliated with HSBC) in Salinas, CA in June of 2008. A month or so ago, I received a small check stating I was being rewarded for being a "valued" customer. I recently found an unauthorized charge on my account. When I called THAT company, they put me on hold and never came back.

Before calling Orchard Bank, I typed them in on the internet and a "Ripoff Report" came up telling about being scammed the same way. Evidently in the fine print somewhere on the check attachment, it says that if you cash this check it authorizes any number of companies to charge you for their services. In my case it was protection insurance for household items. Considering I'm living with my parents right now, this is obviously something I don't need.

When I did call Orchard Bank they refused to back out the charge or close my account (leaving it open to more unauthorized charges). They actually told me that if I'd checked them out on the internet before I cashed the check I would have known not to do so. They are not only scamming their customers, but appear to be quite proud of it. It's a big joke to them.

STAY AWAY FROM HSBC AND ORCHARD BANK OF SALINAS CALIFORNIA!

Robin
Omaha, Nebraska

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/02/2009 12:49 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HSBC-Via-ORCHARD-BANK/Salinas-California-93912-0084/HSBC-Via-ORCHARD-BANK-Sent-reward-check-5-for-being-a-valued-customer-VERY-fine-print-419143. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HSBC Via ORCHARD BANK

I GET SIMILAR CHECKS FROM HSBC AND IT IS NOT IN FINE PRINT

AUTHOR: Laurie - (U.S.A.)

IT CLEARLY STATES IN LARGE EASY TO READ PRINT ON THE BACK

from the back of the check! (I just received another one in the mail)

"2% Money Back from Great Fun on your Credit Card Purchases. Cash the attached check to enroll in Great Fun with the 1st 30 days at no cost and enjoy the service benefit of 2% money back from Great Fun on your HSBC Platinum Credit card new purchases"

While there is some small fine print on the back of letter/check, the most important disclosures are in large easy to read HARD TO IGNORE print.

The one I just received is going into the shredder.

Blame them for you not reading?

AUTHOR: Indybrent - (U.S.A.)

I've gotten these many times. For one, it says "a service referred to you by Orchard Bank" Two, it clearly states that a monthly fee will be billed if you cash the check because you're enrolling in X service. In fact, it says it right under where you endorse the check.

Reading really comes in handy sometimes.