Complaint Review: HSBC

• Submitted: Mon, February 16, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, February 20, 2009

• Reported By:new york New York
HSBC
hsbccreditcard.com New York, New York U.S.A.
  • Phone:
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

HSBC, HSBC Credit Card, HSBC Bank HSBC Closed Account in Good Standing Without Notice New York New York

*Consumer Comment: Same thing happened to me

*Consumer Comment: Here's why.

As an HSBC Credit Account holder, I received notice my card was cancelled due to inactivity. No notice was given or warning which would have prompted myself and hundreds of others to use the card. When I called to get an explanation, I was challenged by the rep. She wouldn't answer my questions and wouldn't listen to my concerns. I asked how long the 'inactivity' period was (which should be a standard term within the corporation) and not only could she not tell me the answer, but with an attitude replied with trivial and challenging questions and a condescending tone. I asked where I could find the information (as in a pamphlet/card holder agreement) and she kept saying "well you have to read the letter you got." That was not the question or concern.

She was clearly having a bad day; however, it is NEVER okay to challenge customers and answer their questions with an answer not relevant to the question. I kept clearly restating my question, then she told me it wasn't my information to have since my account was closed. This is the public information on a publicly traded company, that any and all consumers, current and prospective, have the right to read before deciding to do business with. I calmly stated, surely you must have some information for the hundreds of people like me calling upset about this. I am sure many people are calling upset and all we want is an explanation in the form of a corporate policy. Rudely she replied with a giggle, "Actually, most people [calling] are quite happy about this and are relieved..." Any intelligent educated person can say a few things: 1) this comment was intended to be snide, 2) customers are NOT calling to say 'thank you', 3) people are not happy.

The rep should have had a better attitude, should be able to educate me on the policy, and should be able to tell me what pamphlet (of the many I have through the years) I can reflect to for the info on the rights HSBC has (including that of closing my account).

HSBC is struggling as a financial institution and is hurting.

Closing inactive accounts is ignorant in this financial time. As customers are hurting financially, they rely on credit in turn giving companies like HSBC business/interest. People will NEVER use HSBC again after this experience. This could have been alleviated with a note or email with: due to inactivity, we will be closing your account in 30 days. In its place, customers get account has been closed. What happened to ethics, better business practices, retention & customer service?

Consumer
new york, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/16/2009 09:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HSBC/New-York-New-York/HSBC-HSBC-Credit-Card-HSBC-Bank-HSBC-Closed-Account-in-Good-Standing-Without-Notice-New-424603. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HSBC

Same thing happened to me

AUTHOR: Sindy - (U.S.A.)

Thank you for your report. Exact same thing happened to me. HSBC is probably looking to make more $ off me than I am willing to give so they closed my account even though I've always been in good standing.

I hope they are reading this and realize that they're best customers (who pay on time) will never, ever do business with them again.

I am spreading the word to EVERYBODY and every website I can possibly be on to ask people to never do business with HSBC ever again. It shows a lack of business ethics. Why would I even want to do business of any kind with HSBC when they show such low regard for their customers?

I have letters from HSBC regarding this matter that I will keep forever so I can use it as proof of what they did to me in case they decide to deny it. You should keep your paperwork too. I hope some lawyer files a class action suit and shut down their business. HSBC has no class!

AUTHOR: Nikki - (U.S.A.)

As you stated in your report, "No notice was given or warning which would have prompted myself and hundreds of others to use the card." That is why they cancelled your card without warning. Since the credit card companies are in dire straits, could you imagine what would happen if you and hundreds of others would have used the card within the same few months? They don't have the money to pay for all those charges at once. That is their biggest fear and a reason why they have closed accounts with zero or low balances.