Complaint Review: HSBC/Tax

• Updated: Tue, February 14, 2012

• Reported By: MADJ — Bonners Ferry Idaho United States of America
HSBC/Tax
90 Christiana Road New Castlede, Delaware United States of America

HSBC/Tax Refused to acknowledge payment/ threatened to take everything I own New Castlede, Delaware

*UPDATE Employee: Very confusing

*Consumer Comment: There is something amiss

I went to H&R Block to file my taxes and they said that I qualified for a RAL loan, so being the only one employed in the home at the time, I went for it... My Bad! Somehow a couple of years earlier my husband had filed through H&R Block and they messed up his return and because of this the IRS took my entire return. H&R Block did not inform me that I would be penalized for this. When I received half of my return through the RAL loan, offered through HSBC, I immediately paid all the money to bills. With in twenty-four hours I was notified that I in fact didn't qualify for the RAL loan and that I would have to return all the money paid to me.

HSBC then called me to collect their money and I explained that until I get this straightened out with the IRS and H&R Block I would not be sending a payment to them. Once I was  done with my investigation as to what went wrong, H&R Block refused to give me back all my paperwork and when they finally did, they were destroyed in a "flood".My tax information for the previous four years were destroyed.

HSBC continued to contact me threatening that they would come to my home and take everything I owned, including my child's beds. REALLY??? I made them a $360.00 dollar payment over the phone and asked if they would be sending me acknowledgment of this payment. I was told yes and then three weeks later I was sent an invoice for another three hundred dollars more without any confirmation of receiving my payment. Not unless you include the added three hundred to my debt.

I then contacted them about this and they said it would all be taken care of, so I sent them a money order for another $300.00, again, my bad. After I made this payment, they refused to acknowledge that I had ever made any payments to them at all. In addition, my debt to them has grown to over twelve hundred dollars. Technically, I only should owe them three hundred and fifty-eight more dollars. I have had to pay almost eleven thousand dollars back to the IRS, for only a nine hundred dollar RAL loan.

Now they are out of business and I do not know who to contact to get them off my credit report.  I have been denied three times for a home loan to purchase my first home. Anyone out there have any suggestions on how to have them removed? HELP!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/12/2012 05:29 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HSBCTax/New-Castlede-Delaware-19720/HSBCTax-Refused-to-acknowledge-payment-threatened-to-take-everything-I-own-New-Castlede-838096. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HSBC/Tax

Very confusing

AUTHOR: Joseph - (U.S.A.)

Your comments are very confusing and just don't seemto make sense.

1.  HSBC Bank has not been the bank used by Block for the past 2 years.

2.  H&R Block does not offer RALs, and has not done so for the past 2 years.

3.  Taking your house and/or furnishing would involve civil proceedings.  You would have to be served.

4.  If you gave money to HSBC Bank as partial payment, your bank would have a record of the deduction form your account.  You could always go to them for proof of payment.

5.  If the IRS took money for non-payment of taxes, including your money, then you would have had to file a Married Filing Joint Return, which means both you and your husband would have had to sign the return.  One of you would have had to know that there was an outstanding debt, as the IRS does sned out numerous requests for payment.  It could have been anything from failure to file or non-payment of child support, student loans, or other such debt.

6.  If you suspected that there could be a problem with getting your refun d, you could always file an injured spouse request, which if approved would protect your portion of the refund.

7.  Your records were not destroyed in a flood, unless your home was also destroyed.  You should have received a copy of all forms and your return, which you are required to maintain for at least 3 years.  Block only maintains copies of the final completed forms.  They also have records maintained in their district offices, so that they could be retrieved if needed.

8.  Any money you owed the IRS would not be owed to Block.  If you fail to pay the IRS, they will charge you a penalty and interest, which contineus to accrue until paid.  If you received a loan form Block, then certainly interest would also accrue with them.

It sounds to me that your complaint could be over 2 years old, and not germane to today.  It also sounds to me that communication between you and your spouse might need to be improved.

There is something amiss

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

somehow a couple of years earlier my husband had filed through H&R Block and they messed up his return and because of this the IRS took my entire return. H&R Block did not inform me that I would be penalized for this
- First of all unless you were tied to your Husbands return a couple of years ago, or you are tied to it currently it shouldn't have effected you at all.  Second, any "penalties" come from the IRS and the IRS is very good about notifying you that you owe money..like an elephant the never forget.  So I can almost guarantee that your Husband knew about it, but even if he didn't then why would you expect H&R Block to notify you?

If H&R Block screwed up his taxes, they would generally be responsible for any penalties up to the point the error was discovered but your husband would still be responsible for any additional tax.

- How much?  The IRS does not get involved in RAL's, that is between you and the company providing the RAL.  The only time the IRS is going to get involved is if you underpaid your taxes and owe them the tax, penalties and interest.  So are you mixing the RAL with IRS issues?

- Both HSBC and H&R Block are very much in business.  So who exactly are you talking about?

It sounds like you may need a good tax attorney to sort though this for you.