Complaint Review: HTC Corporation

• Reported By: T-Bell — Fort Lauderdale Florida United States of America
HTC Corporation
4000 Greenbriar, Ste. 200 Stafford, Texas United States of America

HTC Corporation Bait and Switch Stafford, Texas

*Consumer Comment: I Feel Your Pain . . .

On Thursday, November 4th I sent my HTC Touch HD smartphone to HTC customer service for refurbishment.  My phone worked fine, I just wanted some cosmetic repairs done regarding the case and the touch screen.  When I spoke with HTC over the phone, they indicated the repairs as requested should cost no more than $113.00.  I promptly mailed them my phone.

Today, November 11th, I received an e-mail from HTC indicated my phone would cost $546 to repair.  I called customer service and asked them how could this be, all I requested was a replacement of the phone housing.  The customer service representative proceeded to tell me there was a bunch of other parts that needed to be replaced as well.  I advised her that the phone was working fine, all I wanted to do was cosmetic refurbishment.  I told her I did not want to do the other suggested repairs, just the cosmetic refurbishment.  She advised that if I didn't do all the recommended repairs, they wouldn't do anything to my phone.  I was also advised that there would be a $28 triage fee regardless of my decision.

This is outrageous!  How can they try to force repairs on me that I didn't request, don't need and then tell me they will charge me if I don't do anything.  This is classic bait and switch.  If this is their policy, they should disclose it initially.  I was aware of the $28 triage fee, but was not informed of the "all or nothing" repair policy.  My phone works fine, why won't they just do what I asked them to do?

In addition, the individual I spoke with at first thought this was a mistake as the issue they identified for my phone was identical to the next phone in cue for repairs.  So they have 2 phones with the exact same diagnosis and exact same repair needs that just so happen to be #1 and #2 in cue.  Hard to believe!  This makes me wonder if they are doing this to other consumers as well.  I went ahead and paid the $28 as that was the only way they would send me my phone back.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/11/2010 10:14 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HTC-Corporation/Stafford-Texas-77477/HTC-Corporation-Bait-and-Switch-Stafford-Texas-660802. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HTC Corporation

I Feel Your Pain . . .

AUTHOR: Fed Up - (USA)

I feel your pain. I just got off the phone and I now have an uneasy feeling in what is about to happen. The HTC rep told me that it is now a $39 Triage fee that I will be charged. I am guessing HTC is having problems with their phones and they are going to try and take total advantage of me and they will not honor their 1 year warranty. My complaint is that my sons speaker on his phone cuts out and is muffled. The phones USB port has major issues too, like it won't connect to his computer to do file transfers. This phone also has known USB problems that have been verified by other people blogs and the two HTC reps that I have talked to. Like I said, after the HTC rep told me that no matter what, I will be charged a $39 triage fee. I got sick to my stomach just thinking how they can take total advantage of me. The phone is only 8 months old and in excellent shape and has been very well taken care of and has always been inside an Otterbox safety case. I bet they will try and milk me for lots of money. I will be sure to post here what they plan on doing to fix the phone. If they do try and take advantage of me I will be sure to write their corporate department and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau. I will push for a class action lawsuit against them if they do try and take advantage of me. Wish me luck!