Complaint Review: Half.com

• Reported By: doublek1229 — Connecticut United States of America
Half.com
San Jose, California United States of America

Half.com Fraud, Rude Customer Service, Scam San Jose, California

*Author of original report: After great hassle

To begin, I have been a member of EBay for over 4 years and have 100's of positive feedback.  I decided to try half.com, a website owned by EBay to sell a school textbook.

I purchased the textbook for $250, and figured I would list it at $125 and give someone a great deal.  Well the book sold almost instantly, and as always I shipped it the same day along with delivery confirmation.

Half.Com gives you a fixed shipping price... which for this textbook they gave me $3.07.  By the time I paid for the padded mailer, media mail, and delivery confirmation I had spent $8.67.  (One ethical problem I have is, I noticed that half.com charges the buyer $4 for shipping and handling... then takes 93 cents off the top as profit.)

But the real problem came when USPS "lost" the textbook in the mail.  I e-mailed half.com and said they need to make this right.  They gave me $3.07 for shipping... and expect me to pay for the insurance as well?  That would have cost me about $12 in all to ship.  So now they are telling me I have to refund the buyer's money 100% and I am out of the book.

I said that is crazy and they either need to charge the buyer for insurance or give a fair amount of shipping money.  They sent me back the rudest e-mail basically telling me tough crap if I don't like it don't use them.  I responded and haven't heard back in a week.

Meanwhile I feel terrible for the buyer... and the post office told me to hold out "hope" that my book is found and delivered before I refund the money.

Half.com is extremely rude and unprofessional.  They make billions a year and nickle and time every user.  Especially someone who has been as loyal as I have.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/14/2011 06:17 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Halfcom/San-Jose-California-/Halfcom-Fraud-Rude-Customer-Service-Scam-San-Jose-California-695140. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Half.com

After great hassle

AUTHOR: - ()

I finally e-mailed Home Depot's headquarters expressing my dismay.  Shortly after I was contacted by the manager of my local store stating they would take the blower back in exchange for store credit (which is all I wanted anyways).  They were very nice about it when I went there, despite previous employees telling me I can not bring it back.

Ryobi on the other hand, stay away from at all costs.  Horrible.