Complaint Review: Handyman Club Of America

• Submitted: Thu, November 06, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, November 06, 2008

• Reported By:Raymond, WA Washington
Handyman Club Of America
PO Box 3528 Minnetonka, Minnesota U.S.A.

Handyman Club Of America Continued payment demands for unsolicited Handyman Club Library book (1st of a series) that I returned months ago Minnetonka Minnesota

*Consumer Comment: THIS IS A POPULAR RIP-OFF SCAM! It often starts with a "Freebie" Offer

I accepted a two year paid membership in the club,declining an expensive 'Lifetime membership". The two year membership includes a monthy magazine on handyman tips and projects.

Soon after becoming a member, I was sent an unsolicited book, first in the series, of the Handyman Club Library. I sent it back, declining any further books in the library and paying for the postage myself, since I had opened the box and had not found the "return postage-paid shipping label". That was months ago!!

Since then, I continue to receive annoying demands for payment for the book and offers to "take advantage of this LAST CHANCE to participate in the Handyman Club Library".

I have called the phone number they list at the bottom of the form (1-800-243-7679), but all I get is an answering machine that does not allow me to talk to a live person and register my complaint.

They do have a Handyman Club of America site on the internet, but all you can do on it is sign up for membership, so again, there is no chance to contact anyone in that company.

From what I can see, there a quite a few complaints about the club from other people on the internet.

Marlene
Raymond, WA, Washington

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/06/2008 01:51 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Handyman-Club-Of-America/Minnetonka-Minnesota-55343-3528/Handyman-Club-Of-America-Continued-payment-demands-for-unsolicited-Handyman-Club-Library-b-388610. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Handyman Club Of America

THIS IS A POPULAR RIP-OFF SCAM! It often starts with a "Freebie" Offer

AUTHOR: Joe - (U.S.A.)

These scams usually start out with the FREE BOOK or something offered on a FREEBIE site which you never get but THE ADVERTISER manages to get your e-mail AND your home address which is why I use a PO Box instead of my actual physical address...

And instead of sending you the freebie as promised, they send you A BOOK that is NOWHERE near as much as you would pay for it in a regular book store and they are demanding payment!

IF you send it back, EVEN IF YOU SEND IT BACK WITH CERTIFIED MAIL, THEY WILL CONTINUE TO BILL YOU AND TRY TO SCREW UP YOUR CREDIT.

IF you don't send it back, THEY WILL CONTINUE TO BILL YOU AND TRY TO SCREW UP YOUR CREDIT.

Since I use cash for mostly everything I buy, I don't worry about it very much.

I also see that a lot of publishers are using it --especially the magazine,newspaper, newletter and book publishers...

AND IT USUALLY ALMOST ALWAYS STARTS WITH A FREEBIE OFFER.