Complaint Review: Handyman Club of America

• Submitted: Fri, October 02, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, October 02, 2009

• Reported By: Mark — Monument Colorado U.S.A.
Handyman Club of America
www.handymanclub.com Internet United States of America

Handyman Club of America - Extortion!!! Handyman Club of America - Extortion!!! Internet

*Author of original report: Addition of the letter

I received a letter 10-01-2009 from 'Handyman Club of America'. It says it is a Collections Referral Notice. I have no idea who these people are, have not inquired about them, I have no signed a contract with them, and I have not received any products from them. It says unless I pay the $24 2-year membership fee I will be sent to Collections. I really hope they do that, as they will then be sued.

This is a form of extortion to scare you into paying monies you otherwise do not owe. I have reported them to the Attorney General of Colorado, to the Consumer Protection Agency, also the Fraud Agency, and to a few local news stations. I have already heard back from the Consumer Protection Agency and they said it was indeed a scam and I needed to report them to the USPS as that is the method they used to mail me the scam/extortion. Which I did right away. Please note I was able to email the above agencies a copy of the letter except for the USPS. Please people take the 10-20 minutes and report them to your state agencies.

I then called 'Handyman Club of America' as I found there number online (please note no contact information in the letter is given). They claimed I inquired about them back in May of 2009. I told the guy that was not true, then he said "well maybe someone else did on your behalf" again I said nope not possible. But with more thought how could an inquiry without my consent or signature be used to place my name on Collections. Then he had the balls to try and sell me the 2-year membership which I said, No I do not want to join nor have I ever wanted to join. I did tell him I reported them to my Attorney Generals office for extortion and he said, sorry but we had an inquiry. That doe snot sound legal at all. So I can make an inquiry for some neighbor down the road and they will be sent off to Collections...yeah okay tell that to a Judge. He did claim he removed me completely from their system. I'm keeping the original mailing so that if the Attorney General needs it I will have it, and I am prepared to go through with this in full.

I wonder how many people get scared and just pay the $24 not to be reported to Collections (this is when extortion is being used), although even if they report you to a collection company, once you request proof and they can not provide it they would have to remove your name and fix any bad marks on your credit profile. I do understand how collections typically works having run a small family business. Pretty much the company signs stating they have the right to collect on the amount shown, and that they have proof that this debt is owed to them. But once the Collection agency sees that their is no proof they will drop it quick not to be sued. Which in reality would fall back onto the company as they fraudulently made a statement that it was a good debt. Well I do not think Handyman was going to go that far at all, I think this is a scare tactic they are trying to use, probably with success into scaring people into paying. When questioned there reason is, you made an inquiry or someone did.

I would like to note they claim this is the 6th notice, I have received junk in the past, all others just said, please join. So this was actually a first claiming to be a 'Collection Referral Notice'.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/02/2009 11:55 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Handyman-Club-of-America/internet/Handyman-Club-of-America-Extortion-Handyman-Club-of-America-Extortion-Internet-503249. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Handyman Club of America

Addition of the letter

AUTHOR: Mark - (USA)

I hope this lets me add my scan of the letter, would not upload earlier.