• Report: #319573

• Submitted: Thu, March 20, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, March 20, 2008

• Reported By:Nope Illinois
Harlem Furniture
2471 S Randall Rd Algonquin,, Illinois U.S.A.

Harlem Furniture - Fraud Indicate I don't want credit insurance on application, but they signed me up anyway Algonquin, Illinois

I bought furniture from Harlem furniture in late January, 2008. I decided to finance the furniture, and the salesperson indicated that credit insurance was "totally free." I verbally declined to sign up for the insurance.

A couple of minutes later, a second salesperson approached offering the insurance. I again declined verbally. He left, and the first salesperson returned. I was given a credit application to fill out.

In the center of the application was information about credit insurance. I checked the box indicating that I did not want insurance. I placed my initials next to the box.

About a month later, I received a letter thanking me for choosing American Bankers Life Assurance Company for my insurance needs. I immediately called Harlem Furniture to ask them what happened. They said I must have been mistaken, and that they're sure I checked the box indicating that I did want insurance. I explained to them that I'm sure I didn't, and I'm also sure I said "no" to two different salespeople. I asked them to fax me a copy of my credit application. Shockingly, they couldn't find it.

I then called American Bankers Life to cancel the insurance. After I was placed on hold for approximately thirty minutes, I asked if they could fax me a copy of my credit application. They said Harlem never sends them the credit applications, only the customers' personal/billing information.

Anyway, American Bankers Life said they'd send a form for me to fill out so that I could cancel the insurance.

I have yet to receive a form.

There are other similar complaints on rip-off-report. Any lawyers looking for a class-action fraud lawsuit? I'd be happy to take part in the litigation.

Nope, Illinois

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/20/2008 06:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Harlem-Furniture/Algonquin-Illinois-60102/Harlem-Furniture-Fraud-Indicate-I-dont-want-credit-insurance-on-application-but-they-s-319573. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Harlem Furniture