Complaint Review: Harmony The Clown And Pals

• Submitted: Mon, October 18, 2004
  • Updated: Sun, November 20, 2011

• Reported By:Houston Texas
Harmony The Clown And Pals
11834 Dula, Houston, Texas 77065 Nationwide U.S.A.

Harmony The Clown And Pals rip-off! Notorious for canceling parties. Dishonest. Houston Texas

*General Comment: Good Thoughts/Prayers for Abby

*Consumer Comment: Very Satisfied Client of Harmony

*Consumer Comment: A++++ Birthday Party for my Kids!

*General Comment: We Love Harmony and Abby

*Consumer Comment: Customer Service Issue, perhaps. Rip-off, no.

*Consumer Comment: Agent response

*UPDATE Employee: Consider the Source

*Consumer Suggestion: Good God People Get a Grip

*Consumer Comment: Attended the party that Harmony the Clown attended!

*Author of original report: I am the Individual that originally booked Harmony

*Consumer Comment: She is funny, great with children

*Consumer Comment: daughter of child

*Consumer Comment: Just like anything else, extenuating circumstances happen and things do not go as planned

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: False Accusations

Harmony the Clown was scheduled to perfom at my granddaughters party on Oct. 16th. I called and confirmed on Friday, and she said she would be there. On Saturday, her son calls me at 11:00 to tell me that she has the flu. First of all, why couldn't he call earlier so I could try and get a replacement, and second of all, its not flu season.

As I call around to try and find another clown, I learn that she is notorious for this. She has canceled on several people and most contractors will not contract her out anymore, or if she does show, she has also been known not to bring her monkey. I luckily found Sugar Plum to come out and she was excellent.

Beverly
Houston, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/18/2004 11:56 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Harmony-The-Clown-And-Pals/nationwide/Harmony-The-Clown-And-Pals-rip-off-Notorious-for-canceling-parties-Dishonest-Houston-Te-113456. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Harmony The Clown And Pals

#1 General Comment

Good Thoughts/Prayers for Abby

AUTHOR: leigh - ()

i am the owner of an agency that has briefly met abby and harmony in the past. A few hours ago a mother in dayton tx. called us and told us that when she called harmony to confirm her daughter's party with abby, harmony told her that abby was ill to the point of being "lifeless". This day dec 7th is the busiest day of the year being the 2nd weekend of december and this mother called 15 companies to get her daughter a clown - we were able to cover the job.

Abby is adorable and when we do hear these regular reports of her illness it makes me worry about her - my good thoughts go out to abby for her full recovery and improved health

Very Satisfied Client of Harmony

AUTHOR: Mary. - (United States of America)

I would like to say that the problem noted under this website against Harmony the Clown is just too bad. It seems like an unfortunate case for the people having a party. However, people do get sick , even clowns and to file such a nasty report can truly hurt an honest person's reputation. I do not think that Harmony would purposely want to miss a childs party or want to upset a family.

Let me start off by saying that I searched high and low for a clown at the last minute. Everyone was booked out, including Harmony. I had pretty much lost hope in finding one, so I ended up booking a pony instead.

A couple of days before the party Harmony contacted me and informed me of a cancellation.She offered her slot to me. I was absolutely thrilled to have a clown along with a monkey come to my carnival themed party. I was mostly impressed that Harmony remembered to contact me and offer her time to fit our slot. Not just that, but she was very understanding of the circumstances I was under and really worked with me.

She arrived at our party on time, absolutely professional. Abby was just darling. My daughter, sons, guests and adults loved her show. She remembered all the kids names and was so patient with the crowd. She really made our party memorable. She made sure that whoever wanted a picture got one. There was not one child who felt left out nor adult for that matter. She really helped me to create a memorable event for my family, that itself is priceless!

My experience with her was FABULOUS. It is a risk anyone takes with ANY entertainer that they may get sick. We all get sick once in a while. I hope that the incident above does not refrain anyone from hiring such a professional, friendly and wonderful clown. We will use her again in the future and I hope you all will give her a call and have her at your party too. I was thankful and happy to have her at our party. Thanks Harmony!

Mary

A++++ Birthday Party for my Kids!

AUTHOR: Courtney - (U.S.A.)

I can't say enough good things about Harmony the Clown and Abby the Monkey. Harmony is easy to get in touch with and returns calls/emails quickly. Harmony and Abby arrived right on time to the party. Everyone was so EXCITED! We had party for my 4 & 2 Year old sons. We had approx 20 kids there. Harmony and Abby were so patient with the kiddos! Even the Adults were having a great time! I'm not sure who enjoyed the party more the adults or kids. Everyone got a picture with Abby and Harmony, then there was a cute magic show, and we sang a song that was hilarious and everyone enjoyed! Harmony included the kids in the magic show and song. Abby the monkey was very sweet to everyone and even the 2 year old kids warmed up to her very quickly. The whole thing was so fun and the adults were very impressed!

I would highly recommend Harmony and Abby for your party needs! I'm not quite sure how I'm going to be able to top this party next year!

#4 General Comment

We Love Harmony and Abby

AUTHOR: Nikki D - (United States of America)

WE LOVED HARMONY AND ABBY GRACE!!!! Harmony just did an event for my company that had over 300 people come thru our outdoor event and out of all the vendors we had Harmony and Abby were the most talked about. The kids LOVED the Abby Grace, especially my daughter. I was the event host and I would not only book Harmony again, but I would refer her. In fact, she was referred to me by another one of our pediatricians. Harmony, despite the fact that she was out of state on vacation, took the time to call me back and book the event. She is very sweet and most of all extremely concerned about Abby and her guest.

WE LOVE ABBY!!!!!

Thanks Harmony..........Your friend Nikki/Trinity

Customer Service Issue, perhaps. Rip-off, no.

AUTHOR: Michael - (U.S.A.)

As a fulltime entertainer myself who has known Harmony for many many years, I must say that I understand both sides of this scenario. There have been times when I have had to cancel shows due to illness or other emergency. When this happens (rarely, but it does), I immediately try to find a suitable replacement and do whatever it takes to salvage the day for the client. As for illness suddenly coming on, I was feeling fine last night at 7pm and came down with a 102 degree fever by 9pm. After taking medication and proper fluids, the fever had broken by 4am. Don't say that it can't happen, because it can, and not just to entertainers. I've done parties for kids when I wasn't feeling all that well too. I have no way of knowing who said what in this situation on the phone, as I wasn't there, nor were any of the agents who have posted, but I do know that the upkeep on monkeys is outrageous (figure $10,000 or more each simply for the purchase of them, not counting costly vet bills, special dietary foods, etc.) and I can assure you that Harmony does not make a habit of missing much-needed shows, especially in this cash-tight economy. She has a good reputation with her agents, many of which use her several times a week.

So the real issues are:

1. The performer came down sick at the last minute. It happens. Especially in Houston, home of the worst air in the country, aka Allergy Central. I can't even begin to count the times that customers have had to cancel or postpone parties where I was scheduled to perform due to a family member of theirs getting ill. Do I blacklist them on the internet? No. I'm typically glad that they took the time to call me so I didn't waste gas driving out there.

2. The performer did try to offer a suitable replacement. If you order pepperoni on your pizza at Pizza Hut and they run out of it and offer to make a substitution, do you report them as rip-off artists? No. If you don't like what's offered, take your business elsewhere. This is America, you have that right.

3. The entertainment industry is the most competitive in the world, bar none. The economy is tight, the market is tough, and there are many unscrupulous agents and performers out there who will take your money in advance, never show up, and then ignore your calls altogether. These are the same kind of sleezeballs who won't hesitate to lie about another entertainer to get your business (and NO, I'm not referring to any agents that have posted here on this site regarding this).

I've known Harmony for many many years and have always known her to be honest and willing to go the extra mile. Anyone can be late or have a crisis come up due to traffic, illness, accident, etc. I personally know of 2 parties that Harmony had to miss due to illness where she went out to the families homes the following day and let the kids play with Abby the Monkey for an hour for FREE because she felt badly and loves what she does.

In closing, the only "dishonesty" that's been shown here is that the original complainant hid by signing someone else's name.

Agent response

AUTHOR: Ric - (U.S.A.)

Don't know about this particular party. But, would like to say that Harmony the clown has successfully provided quality, professional, on time performances for my company in the past. She has never left me or my clients down.

Consider the Source

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

I have been an associate (not an employee) of Harmony's for six years, as Santa Claus.
The "clown agent" who was quoted as referring to Harmony as "notorious" is, in fact, a competitor. This "agent" has solicited me to accept Santa gigs, and I have told them that I will only book through Harmony. That should evidence the degree of confidence and respect that I have for Harmony.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Good God People Get a Grip

AUTHOR: John - (U.S.A.)

You mean to tell me that none of you have never got suddenly sick and stayed home from work. This clown oviously tried to make it and even tried to send a replacement.

What would your complaint be if she showed up anyway and all your kids got sick? I would thank her for caring enough about other people to not being around when sick. Unfortunately, she coulkdn't know weeks ahead of time when she was going to be ill.

How were you ripped off? Go vent on the right place about something like this.

Attended the party that Harmony the Clown attended!

AUTHOR: Brooke - (U.S.A.)

I drove all the way from Austin with my two year old daughter to attend the party. My daughter was so excited before the party because I had told her that a clown was going to be there and she had a pet monkey. When we got there and a clown was where she was wandering where the monkey was. Don't get me wrong SugarPlum was very entertaining but I know that my daughter was upset cause she did not get to see a monkey. I thought it was very unprofessional of Harmony to confirm a appointment and then cancel at the last minute.

I am the Individual that originally booked Harmony

AUTHOR: Beverly - (U.S.A.)

This is Beverly, I am the individual that called and booked Harmony back in August of this year to perform at my granddaughters 3rd birthday.

Back in March, 2004 I went to a birthday party where Harmony was performing and I was so impressed with her and her calmness and ability to work with children. After I saw her I knew that I wanted Harmony to perform at my granddaughter's birthday party. This was an event that I had looked forward to for months and one that I was constantly telling my daughter about and reminding my granddaughter that Harmony and Abey would be at her birthday party. My granddaughter would always ask me is that the clown that painted the butterfly and flower on my arm and I would say yes.

My feeling is one of heartbreak more then anything. I spoke to Harmony on Friday, October 15 and she sounded fine to me I did not detect any congestion or cough that one might expect if someone was coming down with the flu. I was totally surprised and dismayed when I heard from her son on Saturday just 3 hours before the party that Harmony had the flu and would have to cancel her appearance at the birthday party. My question is didn't she feel ill when I spoke to her on Friday? If not on Friday didn't she feel ill Saturday morning early when she awoke and couldn't her son have called me earlier then 11:00 am? My daughter and I had special invitations printed up for this party and they read:

Come clown around with Makenzie on her 3rd birthday

Special guest Harmony the Clown and her monkey Abey, etc, etc.

I guess my heartbreak is for my granddaughter and for the 10 other children that where expecting to see Harmony and did not and for those children who had see Harmony perform before at their birthday party and where excited to be seeing her again.

Harmony is very good at what she does I saw first hand at how good she performs to the children and to adults I am just extremely disappointed that she did not perform at my granddaughters party.

I would really like for all of this rebuttal to stop please. Let us just go back to living our lives in peace.

Thank you.

She is funny, great with children

AUTHOR: Elizabeth - (U.S.A.)

I have know Harmony for eight years. She has delighted children at Willowbrook Mall many, many times thorughout the years...she is delightful. If she thinks she may be late, she tells you in advance prior to booking.

She is funny, great with children, often stays longer than required and is a wonderful person! We love her and appreciate all the great work she has done for us at Willowbrook Mall.

daughter of child

AUTHOR: Jessica - (U.S.A.)

I am the mother of the child whose party Harmony the Clown was suppose to entertain at. I wrote the previous report. I put my mothers name on it, because she was the one who booked the clown and I wanted Harmony to know which party we were talking about. I was with my mother when Harmony's son called and cancled.

My mother was never once rude! My mother asked if it would be possible for us to get a replacement and we were told that we might be able to get someone out there to do a face painting and we told him that we would see if we could find another clown, and if not, then we would call him back. It wasn't until we called a "clown agent" that we were told that she is "notorious" for this. She told us that she would not even book her anymore because she does cancel quite a bit and suggested that we report her. There were two other people with us when all of this was going on. They heard it too.

AUTHOR: Jessica - (U.S.A.)

I have known Harmony since she began this business.

Just like anything else, extenuating circumstances happen and things do not go as planned. In these situations, Harmony has made sure to offer an alternate solution. In this particular scenario, the customer was given the oppurtunity to have Harmony's son and another clown come out and do face painting and animal balloons.

Harmony is sometimes late to different functions, when this happens she is sure to stay later to make up for lost time. The woman who submitted this seems only to have spoken to one of Harmony's competitors. Does it seem odd that her competitor would say that this happens all of the time? I think not. Harmony has worked very hard for the past 12 years. She is not only good at what she does, she absolutely loves her work.

#14 REBUTTAL Owner of company

False Accusations

AUTHOR: Harmony - (U.S.A.)

My name is Harmony, I am the owner/operator of my own business. The situation that has been reported is truly half of the story. The truth is I was sick with the flu and was not able to go to this job or any other job for that matter. I would not subject the children or my Monkey Abby to the flu and believe when working with children its the only right thing to do under the circumstances. My son Joshua was booked with jobs in the morning but was willing to do his best to cover the party in my place. He called the customer and tried to explain the situation and also offered options for her as to not leave her without entertainment. What was offered to her was a clown and balloon artist for her party at the same time and date she previously had scheduled. She refused this replacement and was quite rude to us over the phone. We did everything we could to try to make her happy but to no avail. We have been in this business for 12 years now in the Houston area, We have attended over 4000 events, and a significant portion of our business is from repeat customers or referrals. At this point we have contacted our lawyer and plan on getting this situation resolved through civil court. She failed to mention our resolutions and most of her statement is hearsay. Naturally when you are good at what you do others in your industry might feel threatened and make false statements about you, which is seemingly the case here.

Harmony the Clown