foam

• Reported By: Svetik25 — Reno Nevada United States of America
Harold
n/a Nationwide United States of America

Harold Sweepstake, Ladie's watch, magazines, card company n/a, Nationwide

I got a call from an UNAVAILABLE number, the gentleman introduced himself as Harold and told me that I was nominated by my credit card company to win $5000 in 2011 Sweepstake. He asked me what card company I use and I told him that I have a Visa. I was told that just for participating I receive a complimentary watch with a real diamond as well as Cosmo, Elle, and Oxygen Magazines. I could not understand what else he was saying due to having English as a second language. He asked me my age and occupation. It seemed harmless at first. Before our conversation ended he said that I will get a follow-up call soon and to put in a good word fro him, because he's new.

In a minute after I hung up, another guy calls (nu,ber is Unavailable) and he asks me how Harold did. I said he did fine. He repeated all the information again (watch and magazines) but this time I was asked whether I had a middle initial or anything like that on my card and expiration date. I told him that, because I figured that they can't do anything without knowing my card number. I didn't have to wait long till he asked me what my card number was and that it startedwith a 4, DUH! I told him that i will not give him this information and he became very rude. He asked me whether I had any money on my card and whether I was broke!!!! I told him I was a student, so he said that they would put me on a student plan which is the same. I said that I don't want to pay for anything, so I just want to cancel whatever he was trying to charge me money for (it was complimentary so why do I have to pay for anything???) He said that they need to get a payment from me, otherwise their company would be broke. I said that I don't want anything and to cancel whatever all this bs was. He said that I alreay agreed and they charged me $40 or so on my card. I said that how can they charge me if they don't even know my card number to which he responded that they are just verifying the information, they already have it... Yeah, right!

I told him that even if it was the case I should be able to cancel whatever it was and that i don't know what kind of service they are running. I hung up, i should've figured earlier that it was a scam. The strange thing is they knew my current address, so I though it might have been for real (I also entered certain sweepstakes before the wedding) because they talked about bridal magazines as well.

Beware of this scam!

This is the first time I've been in this situation.... Next time I'll be smarter and will hang up right away!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/14/2011 10:28 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Harold/nationwide/Harold-Sweepstake-Ladies-watch-magazines-card-company-na-Nationwide-752864. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Harold