Complaint Review: Harris Chiropractor

• Reported By: Heather — Tulsa Oklahoma United States of America
Harris Chiropractor
521 W. Main St. Jenks, Oklahoma United States of America

Harris Chiropractor Unaware of excessive charges Jenks, Oklahoma

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Standard Arguments.....

My daughter & I were patients of Harris Chiropractor. I did not receive a bill from them until I already had 3 visits and my daughter had already had 5 visits. My co-pay was $50 every time which I paid after each visit. I was billed for extra manipulation charges and $20 for every 10 minutes of electrical stimulation after the back manipulations. Since we already had 8 visits between the two of us the bill was $160 alone in electrical stimulation charges. I really feel these charges were unfair. We were told that we had to have 2 visits per week for each of us for the therapy to work. I think that they just wanted us to rack up charges before we realized what was going on. Honestly, per my insurance company which is Blue Cross Blue Shield, Harris knew by my 2nd visit that the electrical stimulation wasn't being covered. I should have been given the option of continuing with the 10 minutes of electrical stimulation or not based on the fact that it would be an out of pocket cost. When I called Harris to discuss these charges, Hillary made me feel that my insurance company was just being cheap.

The Chiropractor I see now can tell me within the time of my visit whether or not my insurance company will cover the treatment and I am given the option to continue if its going to be an out of pocket charge. Harris told me they were too busy to take the time to call insurance companies for preapproval and that it's really my job to do that. How could I call for preapproval? I don't know the codes for their billing? This place is a SCAM! I refuse to pay for their bogus charges.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/28/2011 04:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Harris-Chiropractor/Jenks-Oklahoma-74037/Harris-Chiropractor-Unaware-of-excessive-charges-Jenks-Oklahoma-802529. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Harris Chiropractor

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Standard Arguments.....

AUTHOR: Harris - (United States of America)

I would like to begin with a bit of clarification.  There are 2 physicians in this clinic.  These patients in question were patients of Dr. Carla Hoelting Harris, not the primary physician of this clinic.  That having been said, any treating physician under any discipline will have a standard of care.  Dr. Carla Hoelting Harris would have prescribed a course of treatment that she deemed most beneficial for Amber and Heather.  If they had any questions or concerns, perhaps it would have more prudent, and certainly more productive to seek answers from the treating physician rather than venting on a website.

Further, the staff in the clinic is always more than willing to answer any questions the patients may have, and would never respond with a response that any insurance policy is cheap.  We do feel it is usual and customary for patients to bother understanding their own insurance policy.  After all, its their policy...one would assume they knew what they paid for, that they understood the policy that they selected.

These patients have an outstanding balance and have had for months.  They had not met their deductible, and therefore all charges were their liability to pay.  All charges were usual and customary.  The charges and services performed fell well within usual and customary standards.

Perhaps there should be a website for Healthcare Providers to review all the names of patients that have failed to pay bills they have accumulated in various offices.  Over the 28 years this office has been seeing patients several clients have came into this clinic looking for care and compassion and have left feeling better and healthier only to refuse to pay the bill.  Heather and Amber are not unique, they are just the latest patients who have come up with an unoriginal excuse to walk away from their responsibility. Services in this office were provided in good faith.  It is clear that Heather and Amber do not conduct business in that same good faith.  Some of the statements alleged by Heather and Amber are innacurate to the point of liable.

Beware the next physician who takes these clients on, I wonder how many bills they have racked up and walked away from......