Complaint Review: Hccua

• Updated: Thu, January 08, 2009

• Reported By:West Palm Beach Florida
Hccua
hccua.org Internet U.S.A.

Hccua failure to pay medical claims -- don't use if you get sick! Internet

I have been a member of HCCUA for one year now (joined 1-08). I understood about the one year waiting period for pre-existing conditions. However, I had a heart attack in Sept 08 while on vacation in Canada. I then developed renal failure as a result of the pulmonary edema. I was hospitalized in Vancouver for one month. HCCUA would not cover any of the charges as I was not in the state of Florida.

When I returned home I had to follow up with a cardiologist and nephrologist this fall and have renal ultrasound and echo cardiograms. HCCUA has refused to pay these claims stating that heart and kidney problems are not covered! What nonsense. Nothing about this is pre-existing. I became ill without any warning and in fact coded twice and was on a respirator for several days.

I have been paying premiums one year for absolutely nothing. The only thing they paid for was one office visit to my primary care and a routine mammogram. I have had to pay all year for visits to the endocrineologist, opthamologist, psychiatrist along with all other lab and x-rays. This is because of my pre-existing conditions.

They only cover generic drugs. I am on insulin and need to pay full price for the drug as there is no "generic" for insulin. Also, there is no coverage for diabetic testing supplies, such as test strips for daily blood glucose monitoring-- $100 for 100 strips! Now, I must take Plavix, for which there is no generic equivalent. It is over $120 for a one month supply.

They just don't pay if you are sick. They just pay for "well care". I am on disability and not yet eligible for Medicare. I just can't afford this lousy plan much longer. Don't get it if you might get sick -- they won't pay.

Debra
West Palm Beach, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/08/2009 07:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hccua/internet/Hccua-failure-to-pay-medical-claims-dont-use-if-you-get-sick-Internet-409851. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hccua