Complaint Review: Hearst Corporation

• Updated: Mon, January 02, 2012

• Reported By: Mom — Wilmington North Carolina United States of America
Hearst Corporation
Post Office Box 6093 Harlan, Iowa United States of America

Hearst Corporation Popular Mechanics Scary Hearst salesman called my very young son on phone, harrassed him as I listened.I taught son to say "no"repeatedly to salesman. I got on phone & said NO. Hearst claims he subscribed. Threaten us Harlan, Iowa

*UPDATE Employee: Hearst Does Not Solicit

Children Beware of Hearst Corporation. Bullying phone saleman for Hearst is trying to ruin my 12 year old son's credit for $9.97! Last year, my 12 year old son received a phone call from a bullying man trying to get him to subscribe to Popular Mechanics.As I listened to my son struggling on the phone, I put the conversation on speaker phone. I told this man that my son was underage and that he did not want thismagazine. This man continued to bully my son and attempt to get him to say he wanted it. I told my son to tell him, "no." My son repeatedly told him, "no, thanks." I also told the man, "no." Soon thereafter, webegan to receive bills for $9.97 for this magazine. I sent a letter immediately to the man's name who was shown as the manager. Since then, the letters have become more threatening. I am shocked at Hearst Magazines and their tactics.

These bills have no phone number, no fax number, and are not professionally written. Here is a sample of the language: "Subscription Suspended for Non Payment", that's what our records reflect. Take a moment now to settle your obligation with us and we will promptly reinstate your subscription. G.L. Valk, Credit and Collections Manager"

Note: the comma in the sentence is written AFTER the quote mark. You would think a magazine could at least use proper grammar and punctuation in their threatening letters. Hearst also claimed in earlier letters that my son had agreed to automatic renewals that could not be cancelled. What? I was sitting right there at the phone when their salesman initiallycalled. We do not want this magazine, much less to have it reinstated.

What a ripoff.... trying to bully and ruin a little kid's credit. It would be difficult for me to believe had I not been there myself. Mom.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/21/2010 09:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hearst-Corporation/Harlan-Iowa-51593/Hearst-Corporation-Popular-Mechanics-Scary-Hearst-salesman-called-my-very-young-son-on-pho-674183. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hearst Corporation

Hearst Does Not Solicit

AUTHOR: CindyJoy - (United States of America)

Hearst Publishing does not make any outbound phone calls to subscribers, let alone random people. The corporation simply does not have the means or desire to make sales via phone calls. Be advised, scam artists may be out there and Hearst actively seeks out these companies and has them cease what they are doing. Therefore, if you are receiving phone calls it is simply a third-party or agency that is trying to sell a magazine that Hearst publishes. This may reflect badly on Hearst and the corporation does, like I mentioned, address these agencies that solicit people, but Hearst is in no way responsible and should not be blamed for any phone calls received as the company does not make outbound calls to subscribers.