Complaint Review: Heartland America

711 North Creek Rapid City, South Dakota United States of America
  • Phone: 888-212-0506
  • Web:
  • Category: Liars

Heartland America Illegally put me into their buyer's club without my knowledge and charged me for two years! Rapid City, South Dakota

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Heartland Buyer's Club

*Author of original report: Hearland Mail-Order

*Consumer Comment: Really Ken

*Consumer Comment: Ken

*Consumer Comment: That makes over 3 dozen companies this happily retired person...

*Author of original report: Reply

*Consumer Comment: Usually the way these "offers" work, is they offer you...

I purchased a Magnavox DVD/VHS recorder from Heartland America two years ago using my debit card. Today (March 11, 2012) I found out that I have been in their buyer's club for two years and have been charged $40 per year without my authorization for a total of $80! In calling their toll-free phone number 888-212-0506 to discontinue this nonsense I was greeted by a person named "Michael" who sat at the phone humming and giggling as if he knew exactly where the conversation was going. With every word I said he seemed to be smirking at me and having a grand-old time with his annoying singing and humming. I told him that I never joined any "club" and he told me that he had a tape of my voice accepting the offer. This is impossible since I ordered the item via mail. I threatened him with a lawsuit, then he hung up on me. In calling the number back six times, all six different people hung up on me! I had no choice but to contact the BBB and my attorney to investigate this matter. I had this same problem with the Carol Wright catalog a year earlier. As a result, I never intend to buy anything from a catalog ever again! This is quite sad considering that I myself run a mail-order catalog business, but I don't rip anyone off. Unfortunately companies like Heartland and Carol Wright give us honest merchants a bad name!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/11/2012 11:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Heartland-America/Rapid-City-South-Dakota-57703/Heartland-America-Illegally-put-me-into-their-buyers-club-without-my-knowledge-and-charg-852328. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Heartland America

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Heartland Buyer's Club

AUTHOR: DawnMichelle - (United States of America)

This is Dawn Slater from Heartland America Customer Service. Please accept our apologies, as you have the same name as one of our members and apparently our data has been inadvertently transposed.  We will be sending you a full refund of $80 to cover your inconvenience in this matter. Also note that Michael has been terminated for his arrogance and for lying to our customers. There is no way to get an audio recording from an order form.

In addition, we are interested in purchasing some of your DVD products for sale in our catalog. Please contact Ron Geisman of our purchasing department at 888-212-0506 to initiate a purchase order.

Once again, please accept our deepest apologies.

Sincerely,

Dawn M. Slater

Hearland Mail-Order

AUTHOR: Squafdonoboles - (USA)

If you read my post correctly, you will see that the transaction was done via mail-order. There are NO terms and conditions listed on Heartland's order forms.

Really Ken

AUTHOR: The Outlaw Josey Wales - (United States of America)

Really Ken, really

Ken

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

You work THERE TOO? Where do you find the time?

That makes over 3 dozen companies this happily retired person...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

has been accused of working for. You don't have to work for a company to know how these offers typically dupe the weak minded. On Ripoff Report, it's standard practice to accuse the Rebuttal posters of working for or getting paid by the company they're currently bitching about.

It shows a bit of ignorance on the original posters part. I'll be back later, my checks from Heartland America and Carol Wright should be here as payment for this.

Thanks for allowing me to supplement my income at your expense.

AUTHOR: Squafdonoboles - (USA)

Sounds like you work for Heartland.

Usually the way these "offers" work, is they offer you...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

a discount on your order or free or discounted shipping if you agree to try their offer.

"With every word I said he seemed to be smirking at me and having a grand-old time with his annoying singing and humming."
Exaggerate much, or did you use Skype with video to call them?
You likely have opted into the deals by not fully reading the terms.

As you note, you'll be more careful in the future.