Complaint Review: Helen Foundation

• Submitted: Thu, February 19, 2009
  • Updated: Wed, April 30, 2014

• Reported By:Tucson, Arizona
Helen Foundation
helenfoundation.com Phoenix, Arizona U.S.A.

Helen Foundation Took me for 4722.00 and said my insurance would pay it, but didn't give me the bills. Phoenix Arizona

*General Comment: Helen's Foundation Preys on the Sick!

*Consumer Comment: Helen Foundation Freeze Method?

*UPDATE Employee: Helen Foundation Has Helped Thousands

*Consumer Comment: Overpriced

*Consumer Comment: More info

*Consumer Comment: Helen Foundation has made my life liveable

I am really disapointed in my adventure into the world of crime and rip offs. I was home and I call a Dr..... they asked me if I heard of the Helen foundation. Well, that's how it started. They came to my home, signed me up. I only get to use one Dr. in Tucson. Dr. Petronella and he gave me steriods. I couldn't take them. And 4700.00 out of my pocket and I am in pain from the loss but mostly in pain from the Fibromyalgia they said they could help. 3 Dr.'s visits, money is gone and no one can help me. What kind of world do we live in.

Diana
Tucson,, Arizona

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/19/2009 01:10 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Helen-Foundation/Phoenix-Arizona/Helen-Foundation-Took-me-for-472200-and-said-my-insurance-would-pay-it-but-didnt-give-m-426113. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Helen Foundation

#1 General Comment

Helen's Foundation Preys on the Sick!

AUTHOR: DebbieG - (USA)

Last year, 2014, I went through your 3 week “Shower” phase and was sicker than a dog. I had to go to my GP to help pull out of the overdose of your prescription!  You claim to "reduce Chronic Pain for Arthritis, CFS, MS, RA, OA, Fibromyalgia, Back Pain, Neuropathy, Migraines and even Parkinson’s" by using Hydrocortisone (Cortisol) tablets.    You name the illness…you claim to “reduce it or eliminate it.”   If that doesn’t sound like a Predator Prey on Sick People I don’t know what does. I am still kicking myself in the @#$ for entering your program.

To let people know: You have to sign a contract up front BEFORE determining if you even qualified or are able to safely take the Hydro-cortisone!   You also have to send in a check for the full amount of $7495.  Even if you are “Medically Disqualified” from entering the program by a local doctor due to a condition you will only get back a small portion of the $7495 you paid to enroll in the program!   I thought you would have a Helens Foundation Pain Management Clinic nearby where I could learn more about pain management.  There isn't one!  Instead I was sent to a regular neighborhood GP doctor in a shady side of town who had many patients coming in and out of his office.  I walked in. He wrote a prescription.

There is NO “EDUCATION” TO PATIENTS in a classroom or a clinic.  Their “Patient Education Manuals” are just stapled papers and really don’t have any useful information.   All you care about are the daily diary numbers you have to record and phone/FAX/email in which is a pain in the @#$.   You do not care how you feel while you are taking the medication or how you are reacting to it.   All you do is forward the scores to Dr. Stenberg and he would put them in his graphing computer program which would generate color graphs like the graphs you played with in grammar school only this one costs you $995.   What is another kicker is that the food allergy testing you charged me $900 is from Spectrum labs which tests dogs, cats, horses for pet owners & vets.  I tried contacting someone there and no one would return my call.

In essence, IT WAS A VERY EXPENSIVE LESSON FOR ME to which the program cost me out of pocket $5545.00 out of $7495.00.   Dr. Stenberg is taking advantage of the temporary high from the steroid medication which eventually wears off several months later and that is how long his program is.

The Foundation rambles on about “improvements,” “1,938 patients and "two university studies” but it is a bunch of baloney.  As far as I see, there are 1,938 PATIENTS WHO HAVE BEEN TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF BY A PREDATOR PREYING ON SICK PEOPLE.  All the Foundation cares about is the money not your condition!   THERE IS NO MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!  I also understand that Dr. Michael Jon Kell MEDICAL LICENSE WAS REVOKED and that he was convicted in Georgia of one count of felony Conspiracy to Defraud the State, one count of  FELONY MEDICAID FRAUD,   one count of felony False Writings, and three counts of felony Tax Evasion.  Dr. Michael Jon Kell endorses Dr. Stenberg’s program on the Foundation’s website!   BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER!

There have been customer complaints and customer reviews listed on the BBB website which have been removed. I saw a complaint on the BBB from another person and it has been removed.  THIS IS JUST A BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY OFF PEOPLE WHO ARE SUFFERING FROM CHRONIC ILLNESSES AND IN A LOT OF PAIN!   I am sure there are a number of people who had similar issues with your Foundation but were too sick and disgusted to write a complaint.  I WAS SO SICKENED & DISGUSTED WITH MY EXPERIENCE OF THE HELENS FOUNDATION!   NO ONE IN THEIR OFFICE IS A REGISTERED NURSE OR A REAL DOCTOR WHO IS QUALIFIED TO TREAT PATIENTS!

Now about the A-rating by the BBB.  My BBB complaint was not "resolved." The BBB really does nothing in regards to a complaint. You send in a complaint. They forward the complaint to the company/doctor. You get a response back & the case is closed!  Nothing was "resolved."  I did get a response back from Dr. Stenberg via the BBB but it was useless rambling about medication dosing.  I lost a lot of money!  Of course that doesn't matter to you or the good "doctor."   Shame on you Dr. Stenberg and everyone else who is involved in this Foundation!   People:   THIS IS JUST A BUSINESS TO MAKE MONEY OFF PEOPLE WHO ARE SUFFERING FROM CHRONIC ILLNESSES AND IN A LOT OF PAIN!   It took a lot of energy and time to post my experiences in hope of warning others so they don't get taken advantage of as I was.

I also wrote a customer review on the BBB site for the Helens Foundation. It was posted. I saw it & read it. THAT BBB CUSTOMER REVIEW ON THE HELENS FOUNDATION HAS BEEN REMOVED!    In fact, there are no reviews listed. That seems rather odd for a business which has been around for many years. I just filed another review.  We will see how long that lasts!  Yet, I am reading all sorts of complaints on other sites. I know there was another BBB complaint listed on the BBB website before I filed my complaint. It may have been from a Parkinson's patient of Dr. Stenberg. It too has been REMOVED FROM THE BBB WEBSITE!  You even ripping off your own employees!  Wow. That is awful!

Helen Foundation Freeze Method?

AUTHOR: SwiftSCW - ()

We are experiencing the same FREEZE method. When we were paying their fees it was very easy to reach them and our calls were returned wtih no problem. Now that we are seeking a refund, no one is calling us. We are $6995.00 out of pocket. We have only had 2 proper treatments and a botched up 3rd treatment because the Doctor assigned to our case, quit. However, the main complaint my the patient (my husband) has is that the treatment has not been doing anything for him, and he felt unwell after, and do not seek to continue. The workers are fine to speak to but it is the system of callbacks and follow-ups that is the problem. All we want is a responsible representative to iron out this problem because we had to borrow money to come up with the amount we paid them. The payment was split into thirds. Two/thirds were borrowed from our credit cards, and the balance from the rest of our life savings.

Helen Foundation Has Helped Thousands

AUTHOR: Vice President Helen Foundation Cli - (United States of America)

Helen Foundation has successfully helped thousands of patients since 1992, providing a degree of symptom relief to the overwhelming majority that is often double and sometimes triple that of their previous treatments. We know of no other healthcare provider whose measured rate and degree of success as reported over a period of decades by thousands of patients suffering fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, non-specific arthritis and polymyalgia is as high as that of Helen Foundation.

We recently launched a comprehensive new website at http://www.helenfoundation.com which provides the healthcare consumer a wealth of information about our treatment program and protocols. While no provider can guarantee a favorable outcome, we are especially proud of our outcome record. The majority who turn to us for help do so after all else has failed and their lives and bodies have been ravaged for decades, and nonetheless the lives and physical comfort of the vast majority are safely and sustainably restored.

As to cost, the commenter is correct that the prescription component of our treatment program is negligible. What he overlooks is that our program is informed by a treatment database encompassing thousands of patients, provides for lab tests and physician visits, and DELIVERS THREE MONTHS worth of medical supervision, frequent one-on-one education sessions, and intensive nurse monitoring in the safe and effective use of the prescription. That's what our patients are paying for, and that's makes our program safe and SO EFFECTIVE in delivering symptom relief. Dramatic symptom relief is usually obtained in 3 weeks. After the three-month program, during which patients learn how to sustain their symptom relief, all that's usually required is an occasional physician visit and periodic renewal of a very low-cost prescription.

We welcome your inspection of the many facts to be found at http://www.helenfoundation.com.

Overpriced

AUTHOR: Bodnar - (United States of America)

The prednisone used by this company costs literaly pennies. Charging $6000 is ridiculous and a true rip-off. Plus, their only scientific study examined rheumatoid arthritis, not fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, or other conditions!

More info

AUTHOR: clysta - (USA)

No bills!  They told me that upfront.  They did tell me what Medicare would probably pay for, the food allergy test and the doctor visits.  I got the billing code for doctor visits from my own doctor.

Helen Foundation has made my life liveable

AUTHOR: clysta - (USA)

I have been using Hydrocortisone according to the directions from the Helen Foundation for almost a year and a half and I am delighted with the results.  I don't know who you talked to from the Foundation, but they made it clear to me that there was only one doctor in my area and after that I would have to drive to Mesa for answers to questions, a Doctor appt., and instructions on how to use the program.  The small dosage of hydrocortisone program has made my life much better.

The program is based on the use of "steroids" as you wrote.  If you cannot take steroids and that was something that you were not aware of before, it seems to me that you need a lawyer or file suit in small claims court.  I am surprised that the Foundation did not give you some sort of break in fees.  But maybe they did, because I had to pay $6,000 before billing Medicare.  And medicare does not pay for much, all of which was explained to me before I signed the contract.

I hope you can find some sort of treatment that works for you!