Complaint Review: Helium.com

• Submitted: Sat, May 24, 2008
  • Updated: Sat, May 24, 2008

• Reported By:Salem Oregon
Helium.com
300 Brickstone Square Andover, Massachusetts U.S.A.
  • Phone: 978-474-5074
  • Web:
  • Category: Internet

Helium.com Misrepresented themselves in order to profit from my work Andover Massachusetts

Helium.com is a "community" of writers overlorded by strict robber-barons. As each page is a pay-per -click page, everything that a writer posts earns income for Helium.com. The writers are paid in tiny amounts which may add up to a bit of money over time.

The problem I have is that when I wanted to sell my article to another publication, I found that in the "user agreement," I had given permission to Helium.com to, basically, own the copyright to my articles. I suspect that they may have changed the wording in that user agreement.

I have been banned from using the site, however my articles remain. I have not been paid for those articles, yet I can not sell them elsewhere as long as they are posted on the site.

I seriously wonder how legally binding a "user agreement" is in a court of law. I would think that when dealing with copyright law, an actual signed contract would be in order. That way a writer would know what they were getting themselves into.

In any case, I believe that the wording in the user agreement does change on occasion in order to suit the thieves at Helium.com. If Helium.com collects articles from tens of thousands of writers, then bans them from the site, they wouldn't have to pay the writers even the tiny stipends owed them and in that case they'r stealing a lot money.

Tami
Salem, Oregon

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/24/2008 09:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Heliumcom/Andover-Massachusetts-01810/Heliumcom-Misrepresented-themselves-in-order-to-profit-from-my-work-Andover-Massachusetts-334717. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Helium.com