I wired a payment of $2500 to Herby Willems, the owner of van de Duca Vallei in Munnekeburen, Netherlands, under the guise that I would be getting a first pick male German Shepherd puppy around the first or second week in January 2013. I was eventually told 8 out of 11 puppies in the litter had died and only three females remained. On January 7, 2013 I told Herby that I wanted my money returned to me in full, yet were now in the middle of April and the money is nowhere to be seen.
Rewind back to the beginning:
The $500 deposit required to reserve a puppy was sent in on November 12, 2012; Herby confirmed its arrival on November 15, 2012. Around mid-December, I was told video would be made to document the puppies' drives, but video was never sent.
(These are not all of the Facebook messages/emails that were exchanged; Im just attaching the important ones.)
On December 27, 2012:
"Sacha (last name removed)
Herby, when do you need the money paid in full by? It's getting close to the puppies being 8 weeks old, right? I was just wondering because I hadn't heard anything back on the video.
HI , pups are in holland to get chipped as Im still breeding on my dutch registration , so they will have dutch pedigrees, the kennelclub is closed till first week of january , so they will probably be chipped in the first week of january and be ready to go after that, so you can send the rest of the money now if you want
also I need your full name and adress, telephone number and email , and airport of destination to make arrangements for shipping, maybe better to send all that info to my email adress (email removed)"
On December 29, 2012:
Sacha (last name removed) <(email removed)>
We're going to send the rest of the money in on the 31st of December, as the bank transfer service will not be open until then. Here is the information...
(Contact Information Removed)
herman willems <(email removed)>
OK for shipping I also need an adress, the airline will contact you or your father for OK, without this info and your OK they will not ship
have a happy and great newyear
The rest of the money ($2000) was sent to Herby on December 31, 2012, and it would've taken 2-7 business days to arrive.
On January 7, 2013:
[1/7/2013 1:03:16 PM] duca vallei: I have some really bad news, we had a bad virus in holland and 8 from 11 pups died, the last one last saterday, there are only 3 females alive now
[1/7/2013 1:05:09 PM] duca vallei: we dont know what caused it yet, we gave one dead pup for autopsy, we will hear within two weeks
I believe as soon as he received the money in full, he decided to break down and tell me the news. I feel I should have been informed that the puppies were sick and dying BEFORE I sent in the $2000. However on the 29th, when the last puppy died, he acted as if all was fine. (As shown in the above emails)
He offered to send me a puppy out of the ones remaining, or a pup from another breeder who would be similar in temperament; I appreciated the offer, but had to decline. I wanted a male out of that specific litter, nothing else.
On January 28, 2013:
certainly I understand and will pay you the total amount back, and I really appreciate your patience,unfortunately we lost a lot of money around this litter, that limits me in my possabilitys at this moment, this week I will receive money and send it to you, Herby
I never received the money, though. His excuse (when I eventually asked where the money was and why it hadnt been sent)? The bank information was incorrect, and the money had been returned to him. Throughout January, February and March, I sent all the bank information hed asked for. My dad contacted Herby through email on Monday (April 8, 2013) to give him the rest of the bank information that he needed. Herby said he would send it right away. It's been nearly a week (In one of Herby's emails to me he stated that it usually takes "48 hours" for the money to arrive), and I still haven't seen a dime of it.
This man is nothing more than a thief and a crook. It has been three and a half MONTHS since Ive asked for my money to be returnedand nothing. Ive given him several warnings stating that I would post about this situation online if the money had not been sent back to me, giving him adequate time to do so. (Its been 2.5 months since the first warning was sent.) I feel Ive been extremely patient with him, and even if I do not get my money back, I still want to make others aware of what this breeder is capable of. I did everything "right" when doing my homework looking for a so-called reputable breeder overseas. Yet, I still got taken advantage of. Don't let it happen to you.