Complaint Review: Heritage Auction

• Submitted: Tue, October 05, 2010
  • Updated: Thu, May 08, 2014

• Reported By: gordonanalytic — chelmsford Massachusetts United States of America
Heritage Auction
3500 maple street dallas, Texas United States of America

Heritage Auction Beware of this company dallas, Texas

*General Comment: Heritage Auctions

*Consumer Suggestion: The Real "Ripoff"

*Consumer Comment: Heritage Is the Best!

*UPDATE Employee: Heritage Auctions rebuttal

*UPDATE Employee: Heritage Auctions rebuttal

In late March, 2010 I purchased on ebay a 1953 NY Yankess team signed baseball. The seller had a note from Mike Gutierrez, an employee at Heritage. Mike used to be an authenticator at PSA. In the note, Mike said that the Mantle signature was good, he placed a dollar value on the ball, and he said that he would be willing to sell the ball. The first week of April I mailed the ball to Heritage to have them sell it in an auction. Six months later Chris Ivy at Heritage said that he sent the ball out to PSA and they could not verify the Mantle signature. I sent him a copy of Mike's note.

Chris said that Mike is not an authenticator and that as a courtesy he gave an opinion. I explained to Chris that Mike is an employee and that Heritage should be liable for his bad advice. Chris said that if I escalated the matter then he would not do business with me. I spoke to Steve Ivy one of the owners of the company. Steve said that he would reduce the seller's fee on the consigned items as long as I did not bad mouth his company. I told him that my interest was simply to point out that one of his employees made a mistake and that his company should be held liable. Steve then reneged on his committment to reduce the seller's fee.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/05/2010 07:34 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Heritage-Auction/dallas-Texas-/Heritage-Auction-Beware-of-this-company-dallas-Texas-647928. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Heritage Auction

#1 General Comment

Heritage Auctions

AUTHOR: Tom41 - ()

I used Heritage Auctions to help me dispose of a large comic book inheritance.  Everyone I dealt with at Heritage, from the officers of the company to the clerks, were at helpful as possible.  They did everything they could to make me a happy customer.  This collection was quite large and took over 18 months to fully dispose of.  I was entirely satisfied the entire time.  They explained very clearly that they had strong opinions of the value of my collection but could not guarantee a rating.  Some ratings were slightly higher and some were slightly lower.  If the complainant wanted a guarantee he should have paid for a certificate of authenticity, not just a salespersons opinion.  The buyer bought it with an opinion at what I am sure was the price for a collectible with an opinion, not the price he would have paid if he got a cetrificate of authenticity.  I would gladly use Heritage again and have recommended them to friends.

#2 Consumer Suggestion

The Real "Ripoff"

AUTHOR: realclient - (United States of America)

The only "ripoff" is being perpetrated by this thug customer who is enraged that he could not extort money from a legitimate, honorable, hardworking company. Yes, in my experience Heritage's executives are sometimes arrogant and pompous, but so are all other corporate executives. That does not make them felonious or even unethical. I am officially jumping on the bandwagon with those who defend what America is truly about: An honest, successful, rags-to-riches company! The five unique complaints about Heritage that were posted on this website were written by nearly-illiterate, leftwing, bottom-of-the-socioeconomic-ladder crybabies who seem to think that Heritage is in business to royally cater to their every uninformed whim, fallacy, and misconception. I do not believe that a gargantuan auction firm like Heritage would risk damaging their stellar reputation just to cheat these small-time losers out of their virtually worthless junk. I suspect that what is really going on is that five obsessed wackos who have failed miserably at life (versus the satisfied 700,000-plus Heritage customers) did not get their backsides kissed during their minuscule transactions with Heritage, so they are unfairly trashing this outstanding company just to fuel the emotional void created by their failed extortion schemes. Several wealthy friends and I are longtime customers of Heritage, yet have never experienced any difficulties. Nobody with an IQ above 70 would take seriously the obviously suspect charges made against Heritage, a firm with an unblemished reputation amongst both heavy hitters and small spenders alike.

Heritage Is the Best!

AUTHOR: ClaudePierre - (United States of America)

My name is Claude Pierre (this website will not permit me to use my full name.) I have transacted untold millions of dollars in business with Heritage Auction Galleries, both buying and selling, since the 1980's. I have usually dealt through agents; Heritage barely even knows who I am! A quick check reveals that I have personally placed over $4 million in bids with Heritage since 2009, but my actual bids through representatives are well into nine figures. Neither I nor my agents have ever been cheated nor misled by Heritage. Ditto for several collector and dealer friends whom I know quite well. Why would Heritage defraud or deceive you, knowing that it would tarnish their fabulous reputation? That is, if your complaint is even genuine and you are not lying, possibly because you are a shill for an unscrupulous competitor. Heritage has sold several billion dollars worth of collectibles at auction, so it is extremely difficult to believe that they would defraud anyone, especially for such a paltry sum. I shall continue to spend untold millions with Heritage and ignore unproven, libelous, axe-to-grind allegations. Actions (my actual transactions with Heritage) scream louder than words from someone whom I do not even know and whose complaint sounds like a completely fabricated fairy tale. It is interesting to note that, without exception, the three Heritage bashers who have posted on this website have substandard syntax, morphology, and semantics (not to mention class), suggesting that they are not particularly well educated nor sophisticated. Perhaps they are confusing their lack of sophistication with actual wrongdoing by Heritage.

Heritage Auctions rebuttal

AUTHOR: Heritage Sports Collectibles - (United States of America)

Heritage Auction Galleries is an auction house, not an autograph authentication service.  We employ the expertise of both PSA/DNA and James Spence to examine and provide letters of authenticity for every autograph we sell.  Heritage provides free opinions on hundreds of items a week, and this person sought our advice on a lot he was interested in purchasing rather than seeking the opinion of professional autograph authenticators, presumably because the latter would cost money.  And part of the justification behind the high costs of professional autograph authentication is liability insurance in case of errors.  This client believes that Heritage should be financially responsible for the many thousands of opinions Heritage provides annually despite receiving no compensation for the service.  Clearly this is not reasonable.

His threats of a criminal plot were outlined in an email and have been forward to the proper authorities, which have accepted the case and are following up on the matter.  Unable to extort cash from Heritage for an apparent mistake in a service for which he paid nothing, he continues to wage an Internet smear campaign, of which this is yet another example.

Heritage Auctions rebuttal

AUTHOR: Heritage Sports Collectibles - (United States of America)

This person flooded Heritage with over one hundred emails, dozens of telephone calls, and informed the Chairman of Heritage that he intended to start false bidder accounts to place winning bids in our auctions and then not pay, and to hire hackers to crash our system, all over approximately a $600 or $700 loss.  He continues to wage an Internet smear campaign, of which this is yet another example.  Unable to extort cash from Heritage for an apparent mistake in a service for which he paid nothing, he has carried out his threats.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC