Complaint Review: Hertz Rental - Palm Beach

• Updated: Fri, February 10, 2012

• Reported By: John — chester New Jersey United States of America
Hertz Rental - Palm Beach

Hertz Rental - Palm Beach If it is left behind, they own it, Internet

*Consumer Comment: Not getting the ripoff.

*Consumer Comment: Exactly:

In mid january, I rented a car from hertz at Palm Beach International airport.  When I returned my car, and boarded my plane, I realized that I had left my coat in the back seat.  I tried to call them a couple of time immediately.  Each time i explained that I had left my coat in the car, they switch me to a voice mailbox.  I left two messages. Over the next week, I was unsuccessful in talking with an actual person.  Each time I called, they always switched me to a voice mailbox.

After two weeks, and several messages, I finally called AAA (who I made the rental through) and complained to them.  I also left a e-mail on their Hertz's corporate website. Today, 2/10/2012, someone finally called me back.  This is after 1 month since leaving my original message.  Surprise, surprise, they did not find my coat.  This coat was a leather A2 flight jacket given to me by my flight instructor on the day of my first solo and had a lot of meaning to me.

Well, the person on the phone came up with a c**k and bull story about how their office is under construction.  This is the reason they did not call me back.  It became obvious that she could care less of my situation and had made up this lame excuse.  At no point did they even offer to compensate.  The message was clear.  I have to ask... What does construction have to do with answering voicemail???  Their phone obviously works. I also have to ask..  Don't they clean out their returned cars prior to renting them again?  I know that they say that they are not responsible for items left behind, but does that policy excuse a lack of even the least bit of effort on their part to return lost items??

I know that if they had answered the phone, or provided someone to provide a limited amount of service, when I first called them, getting my coat back would not have been a problem. From a money standpoint, the coat was not worth much.  It is a shame that they will lose thousands of dollars worth of my business all over a lack of basic service.  My advise is this.. Do not rent from Hertz.  If you do rent from Hertz, take extra care to not leave anything behind.  You will never see it again.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/10/2012 10:31 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hertz-Rental-Palm-Beach/internet/Hertz-Rental-Palm-Beach-If-it-is-left-behind-they-own-it-Internet-837093. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hertz Rental - Palm Beach

Not getting the ripoff.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

"   At no point did they even offer to compensate.   "

I don't understand why you would expect them to compensate you.

"   I know that they say that they are not responsible for items left behind,"

There you go.   That's your answer as to why they wouldn't offer to compensate you.

" but does that policy excuse a lack of even the least bit of effort on their part to return lost items?? "

Yes.   What part of "not repsonsible for items left behind" are you not understanding?   At what point do you take responsibility for losing your jacket.     Hertz disclaims responsibility because they have no idea who took your jacket.  They don't even know if you left a jacket behind.  They do not want to get involved every time someone claims they left valuable items in a car.   Can you blame them?

I think you'll find that all of the major rental car companies have similar policies and they stick to those policies just like Hertz does (for the same reasons).    If you're going to boycott every company that enforces this policy, you're going to have to start taking taxis and busses soon.

Exactly:

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

" If you do rent from Hertz, take extra care to not leave anything behind.  You will never see it again. "

That's the exact definition of "We are not responsible for items left behind in the vehicle"

You knew that they had that policy when you rented it. Yet you are mad because they didnt find your coat? It wasnt their responsibility to even look for your coat.