Complaint Review: Hertz

• Updated: Wed, October 01, 2003

• Reported By:Fresno California
Gatwick Airport Gatwick, London United Kingdom

Hertz Rent A Car Hubcaps: a creative and lucrative ripoff Gatwick London

I rented a car from Hertz at the Gatwick airport in London, England. The car was part of a prepaid package booked through the American Airlines Vacations website.
When I returned the car two days later, the agent informed me that three of the hubcaps were broken, and that I would be charged an extra 101.58 Pounds (about $180) to my Citibank Visa card. She asked me to fill an accident report.

I walked back to the car, and discovered that there was no problem with the hubcaps. On the report I wrote that no damage was noted, and that there was no accident.
Another customer who overheard my argument with the agent told me that several month earlier she returned a car at the same location, and fell victim to the same scam; she was also told that three hubcaps were broken, and her credit card was charged for the non existing damage.

When I returned to the US I disputed the charge with Citibank, and submitted a copy of the report to them. Citibank informed me that they investigated the charge, and decided not to refund my money.

Fresno, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/01/2003 08:27 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hertz/Gatwick-London/Hertz-Rent-A-Car-Hubcaps-a-creative-and-lucrative-ripoff-Gatwick-London-68044. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hertz