Complaint Review: Hertz

• Updated: Mon, February 18, 2013

• Reported By: Chris W — Ireland
Hertz
JFK Airport Jamaica, New York United States of America

Hertz Whatever happened to initialing additional services and waivers? Jamaica, New York

BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL WHEN RENTING HERE

I booked a car for a week through my airline and prepaid when I paid for the flight. As requested, I produced my license and credit card, signed on an electronic pad and got my small folder with receipt inside. They directed me to my car and all was fine until I returned the vehicle. There was an additional $200 of charges attributable to a class upgrade and a pre-purchased tank of gas.

I questioned the charges at the counter with the girl who had originally served me and she agreed to reverse both the upgrade charge and pre-purchased tank of gas. But when she went to her manager to get authorization he refused saying if I signed the agreement then I was liable for these services.

In the past, Hertz required initials next to additional services and waivers. Now, they only require one signature on an electronic pad for whatever terms and conditions have been "discussed" at the counter prior to commencing the rental. As my experience demonstrates, this system is prone to error when fatigued travelers meet enthusiastic up-selling staff.

Their defense that I should have known what I was agreeing to when I signed the electronic pad completely ignores the fact that I had ordered and paid for the services I wanted with my initial booking. Absent additional contractual documentation, any reasonable person would have assumed they were signing for the original agreement.

I complained in writing and they refused to refund the charges and sent me a new receipt that had my signature inserted in the "contract" that I had agreed to. Obviously the "contract" was nowhere near the electronic pad I signed and this was the first time I saw what I had "agreed" to.

I'm satisfied that this is not the action of one bad employee but a Hertz policy to gain profit by misleading customers.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/18/2013 08:24 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hertz/Jamaica-New-York-11430/Hertz-Whatever-happened-to-initialing-additional-services-and-waivers-Jamaica-New-York-1016093. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hertz