Complaint Review: Hhgregg - GE Extended Warranty Company

• Submitted: Tue, March 11, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, May 11, 2012

• Reported By:Cincinnati Ohio
Hhgregg - GE Extended Warranty Company
650 Kemper Common Circle Nationwide U.S.A.

Hhgregg And GE Extended Warranty Company Did not inform me of extended warranty limitations Cincinnati Cincinnati

*Consumer Suggestion: Promises, Promises

*Consumer Comment: I too have had similar problems with HHGregg

I purchased a Frigidare refrigerator on 1/05/2007 and purchased an extended warranty, that the sales person advised me to do. The store was hhgregg in the Cincinnati area.

I had no problems until the manufacturers warranty ended. I have no confidence that hhgregg would have helped even if it had been within the year. My reasons are that since contacting hhgregg consumer relations I have not been helped and everytime I called no one knew what my problem was. Each time I had to repeat my story over and over. Very frustrating.

My fridge tore up on 2/19/08. I called hhgregg customer service and they scheduled a service call with a company called A&E. All of my food in the freezer defrosted plus the ice maker and water were not working. On 2-21 the A&E co. came out. They said they had to order parts. In the mean time I have no working fridge.

They have as of today (3/11/08) still not fixed my fridge. They have been out here 5 times. They have ordered parts 3 times. While they wait for parts, I have no fridge. Then, when, parts get here, the A&E technician comes out, and puts on the new parts and still it doesn't work, so he says he has to order more parts. Each time the new parts are put on, he says, I think its ok now. As soon as he leaves, it stops working. My fridge freezes up and ruins food all over again.

The consumer relations did give me $100 to cover food, but they are only allowed to give it one time in the 5 years of coverage, so if I have a "lemon" which I feel I do, its too bad for me. They also gave me $100 to buy a small dorm type fridge which I have sitting in my kitchen until they get mine fixed.

The technician said today, that he is not allowed to say it is unrepairable, and he has to keep trying to fix it. I am not allowed to use another company either. But, I am angry that I can't have a new fridge instead, since it is almost a month and still the fridge isn't fixed.

The GE consumer relations person told me today (I didn't know this) that they will not replace my fridge unless the tech tells them that it is beyond repair. Which means that legally this guy could come out for 6 months and keep "trying" to fix it. I would be without a fridge for 6 months or longer.

I wish that my sales person from hhgregg would have told me what it really means to get an extended warranty. No replacement, even if it gets worked on for months and months. I asked the tech today why he couldn't just give up and report it now as unrepairable and he said, no, he couldn't. He has to keep trying.

I can't fully put into words my frustration that I am feeling and the helplessness that I feel. I have called so many phone numbers and repeated my problem so many times that I can't remember.

Still until today I was never told exactly what this extended warranty meant. In fact, yesterday, at the consumer relations, they said it has been near a month and I should get a new fridge, but then they changed their story and said no, I have a warranty, that does not include a replacement unless the tech says so.

It sounds like the problem is the service tech, but really, he said that GE won't replace my fridge, until he has tried and tried to repair it, no matter how long it takes. By the time he is finished, it will have all new parts and no doubt still won't work. The service tech said his hands are tied, and then when I talk to GE they said their hands are tied because I only have a "service warranty". I feel my sales rep at hhgregg should have "told" me what could happened if I get a "lemon"...Thank you..

Ren
Cincinnati, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/11/2008 08:55 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hhgregg-GE-Extended-Warranty-Company/nationwide/Hhgregg-And-GE-Extended-Warranty-Company-Did-not-inform-me-of-extended-warranty-limitation-317090. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hhgregg - GE Extended Warranty Company

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Promises, Promises

AUTHOR: IntheKnow - (USA)

GE has no legal liability after Year 1.    Your extended service contract YOU purchased terms and conditions would not be understood by anyone in the store including the Store Mgr.  Nothing related to service is spelled out anyhow.  There is not ONE service contract that guarantees timely or even "good" service.  You purchased +4 years from a commissioned sales person, for better or for worse.   Why do you think terms and conditions are written for lawyers only, the size of which requires a magnifying glass.  The 3rd party company who pay a fee to A&E is on the back of your contract.  They are responsible.   The ONLY way to get them to act in your favor is to exert outside pressure, from the BBB and your state's AG/Division of Consumer Affairs.  Give 'em a call or file an online claim.

Try this - find out what parts are taking so long to arrive, get the actual part numbers and Google them - you'll likely find quicker access to the parts.

As for both posters, peace of mind is only achieved by NEVER purchasing an extended warranty/service contract.  What is the first five years anyhow?  How about years 6,7,8,9 etc. when risk of failure is higher?

I too have had similar problems with HHGregg

AUTHOR: momfish - (United States of America)

I have had similar problems with HHGregg.  Know that the warranty is extremely limited - and when the sales person says that you will get a new product after 3 of the same repairs - he means only if the repairs are all done in the same calendar year.  I believe that this is false advertising - we just bought a stove and dishwasher with the extended warranties and my husband and I can both attest to the fact we were told that there would be a replacement if the same problem happens 3 times.  Nothing was said regarding the one year rule. You need a lawyer to purchase an appliance these days.  Sad, Sad, Sad.