Complaint Review: Hhgregg

• Submitted: Wed, June 23, 2004
  • Updated: Thu, July 07, 2011

• Reported By:Fayetteville Georgia
Hhgregg
395 Pavillion Parkway Fayetteville, Georgia U.S.A.

Hhgregg high pressure sales tactics! Rip-off! Fayetteville Georgia

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I used to work for them

*UPDATE Employee: Thanks for the understanding

*Author of original report: Response

*UPDATE Employee: Clarification. and sympathy. Being an HHgregg employee, I can see where most of your frustration lies.

*UPDATE Employee: A little insight

*Consumer Suggestion: take them for once

*Author of original report: You've only furthered my first impression of this business.

*Consumer Comment: Is this the Typical HHGregg Response ?

*UPDATE Employee: HAHAHAHA...have a nice life, enjoy the mintek for now, hope it the screen fades out and the laser lens fails just like 800 did last year.

On June 6, 2004 I went to hhgregg to purchase a portable DVD player for my son's birthday. The unit we picked was on sale. The salesperson approached and we asked for the unit. He left to look for it and returned about 10 minutes later stating that he was not allowed to get it untill we rang it up. I gave him my credit to do just that. At this time he suggested that we also purchase an additional battery and extended warranty. I declined both.

He rings up the purchase but for the full price, not the sale price. I question this and he leaves again to check on the price as it's loaded in the system. He returns about 8-10 minutes and tells me to just sign the slaes slip as is so he can get a unit, he'll fix it after we leave. Again he pushes the extended warranty. Again, I refuse both.

He goes to find someone that can adjust the sales slip. Returns in about 5 minutes saying that someone would be out shortly. Then asks me why I don't want an extended warranty. I shoudn't to explain but I do as he tries to push it anyway. I feel like I'm at a used car lot.

Finally someone appears that can fix the sales slip. She needs my card to do so. Couldn't have happened if I had already left. The salesperson gets us a unit. And makes another push at the warranty. *sigh*

Well over 45 minutes to make a simple purchase and I'm wondering if the problem wasn't really related more to a new salesperson than anything so I go to the hhgregg website to relate my shopping experience. They have a place to do that. However, you're limited to 1,000 characters. I finally cut and trimmed but, still got the jest of what happened in the box and sent it to them. The site says that they will respond but it's been almost 3 weeks and they haven't.

Just be aware if you choose to shop there it may be a used car lot type of experience. Also, make sure you get the sale price and don't just sign a charge slip to get your merchandise.

Randy
Fayetteville, Georgia

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/23/2004 01:05 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hhgregg/Fayetteville-Georgia-30214/Hhgregg-high-pressure-sales-tactics-Rip-off-Fayetteville-Georgia-96109. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hhgregg

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I used to work for them

AUTHOR: ScottF - (United States of America)

I used to work for hhgregg, and while we DID work for commission, I really hated having to use their high-pressure tactics, made me feel uncomfortable...

Thanks for the understanding

AUTHOR: Jason - (U.S.A.)

Thanks, Randy for listening and understanding. We are all told not to try and shove ESP's down a person's throat. I usually ask twice and at that point it's apparent you don't want it, just keep in mind it is my job not only to offer it but to explain it as well (it only takes me about 30 seconds to explain anyway). As far as the over pricing you're right, it shouldn't have taken 45 minutes to do. Technically if you paid with something other than cash a sale rep can fix that but a lot of them don't because they want to rush off and sell something else (for most it kind of a personal high they get from it) but this again is not the way things are taught at HHGregg. I hope that the next time you are in the market for an appliance or electronic product you give us another try. I promise we will do our best to make you happy. Thanks again.

Response

AUTHOR: Randy - (U.S.A.)

First I want to thank Ty and Mike for professional responses. I still haven't returned to an H.H. Gregg store, but at least I finally see someone there who cares.

Now I'd like to point out a couple of things. Both of you guys went straight to the ESP part of the experience. Please feel free to offer it to me. But don't try to shove it down my throat.

You both missed the part of how the salesperson tried to charge me full price on a sales item and the difficulty of trying to get that corrected. Because of this it took me over 45 minutes to make a simple purchase. To me this was an even bigger problem than the ESP thing.

Thanks !

AUTHOR: Mike - (U.S.A.)

However, the reason we offer the "Extended Service Plan" (ESP) and at least give you the opportunity twice is just to institute the importance of it.

I will be honest with you, I offer the ESP to every product that HHgregg and my self sells to every customer. I do not want to impose that the product it self is a bad product or a 'lemon', but things do happen. That ESP covers those incidentals.

As for the commission part of it.. Hey, we've all got to make a buck somehow, right?

Our policy on the '110% Price guarantee' is that on any item in our store if you find it in a competitors flyer, bring that flyer in. Not only will we meet that price, but we will beat it by 10%. Additionally, on advertised items, if we advertise an item, and we do not have it in stock, we will move you up to the next better model for the price of the advertised item.

Simply put, please be sure to understand that not only do I represent the company, I back it 110%. The products, service and quality that we and the company provide at HHgregg is a standard that no one else follows in.

Sincerely,
Mike Martin
Huntsville, AL
(256) 759-2838
michael.martin@mchsi.com

PS., feel free to contact me if you have any addition complains, comments or suggestions regarding any of our services. Thank You.

A little insight

AUTHOR: TyJason - (U.S.A.)

As I can see there has been a lot of bad blood shed on this subject. To Randy, I'd like to give you a little insight on our "extended warranty". It's not a warranty, it's a maintance agreement. We give you in writing what all we promise to take care of on your product should anything go wrong. Keep in mind that these products are made by humans and humans make mistakes.

We offer these agreements so that in the event something happens like what happened to you we can take care of the product so you are happy, that's all we want are happy customers. Just to let you know, when you do pay for that agreement, we don't get one dime of that, that money is put in a seperate bank account with your name on it so when you do come in to get service on your product we pull from that to pay for the parts and repairs.

We don't get a dime of it unless there is any money left in the account after the 3-5 years is up and on aveage that's about 2% of what you paid, in your case it would have been about 50 cents out of $25. I'm sorry that this happened to you but out intent is not to tick you off. As for Mark, he's in Ohio not Georgia so he wasn't the guy that waited on you. Hopefully you can forgive us of this one incident and give us another try. Thanks for you time.

#6 Consumer Suggestion

take them for once

AUTHOR: Dan - (U.S.A.)

I found hhgregg to have a flaw in there way of trying to stay competitive. This may help you out in the future. I purchased a tv from them last christmas and they tried to sell me a waranty also (more than once)and i refused. I told the sales man that i found the same tv at a different store for 60 dollars cheaper and there policy is to match the price.....he did not even ask me to prove it. sold me the tv for that price and i left laughing all the way home. if you have the chance and can manage going back in without vomiting give it a try...oh yeah and mark aka employee of the year ha ha i think your the one that waited on me.

You've only furthered my first impression of this business.

AUTHOR: Randy - (U.S.A.)

I'll pay the price advertised. Don't try to overcharge me when I try to make a purchase to inflate your commission ! I'm sure HHGregg is happy to have people like you working for them ! You've only furthered my first impression of this business.

Is this the Typical HHGregg Response ?

AUTHOR: Randy - (U.S.A.)

And we just heard from HHGregg's employee of the year !!!! I rest my case !!!

AUTHOR: Mark - (U.S.A.)

nice story, sorry those portable dvd players especially the minteks, which is probably the one you bought because its cheap usually break after a year and the battery loses the charge after a year, good thing your manufacturer covers the unit for 1 year parts and 90 days labor, oh wait they consider a battery going dead 'normal wear and tear' that sucks.

maybe thats why he thought the warranty was a good idea and another battery, oh ye he prob made about $5 on that total sale, prob another $2 with the warranty, i know he prob really wanted the extra $2, since we are on commision and like to put food on the table and pay are bills we will sell everything we can to u cheap haggle-daggle customers, you are the type of customer who probably wants free healthcare but also wants cheaper taxes, or the person who says.

'i dont have to pay the price on the tag, i like to take money out of your pocket' have a nice life, enjoy the mintek for now, hope it the screen fades out and the laser lens fails just like 800 did last year.