Complaint Review: High Street Tattoo

• Submitted: Wed, July 29, 2009
  • Updated: Mon, October 22, 2012

• Reported By:Columbus Ohio
High Street Tattoo
872 N. High Street Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.

High Street Tattoo, Tattoo Shops Columbus Ohio

*UPDATE Employee: Response and Resolution

This past winter I decided to get my first tattoo. I was so excited. I spent months drawing the perfect picture/design that I wanted. I searched around the columbus area and decided to go with High Street Tattoo. I looked at the different profiles and met with a tattoo artist named Pierre. Upon my first meeting everything went really well. He said the picture was do-able and that it would cost $500 for the entire piece. He also told me he does not go back on his quote.

I set up an appointment for one week later. My appointment was for 1:30 pm. When I arrived to High Street Tattoo it was about 15 minutes before Pierre came out. He told me he was just finishing up his lunch so he had me sign toe waiver form while he finished. Around 2 o'clock Pierre took me to his room and showed me the picture he had re-drawn.

The picture looked nothing like my original. Pierre changed the picture but he was sighing about it the whole time. After I felt that the picture was to my liking he started working on my back. During the process of tattooing me he asked me how money I brought. I told him "$500". He said "Oh so you want to go ahead and get the whole thing done today?". And I said "If I can last that long."

After he had started tattooing me Pierre informed me that the cost would be $150 per hour. This was not what he originally told me. My instincts told me to get out of there that something wasn't right. He even seemed frustrated when I asked for water and to use the restroom. Finally after he had been working on me for awhile I decided I needed to go.

I told Pierre I was not feeling well and that I would like to schedule another appointment to finish later. He was very insistant that I should stay and let him finish and that it was in my best interest. I told him I would really prefer to stop where we were. Finally he relented and I went to the front desk.

The worker at the front desk asked me if Pierre gave me a price, and I said no. The desk worker went back to Pierre's room to see how much it would be and came back to tell me $500!!! It was only 2:15 pm. Pierre had barely worked on me more than 2 hours and he was trying to charge me the price of the entire piece. I told the guy, "Pierre said it would be $150 per hour and it's only a quarter after 2 right now".

The guy went back to Pierre's room again and I could here them in the background joking around saying things like, "Oh, no, it's free!" and being very sarcastic. Finally the desk worker came back and told me Pierre wanted to see me. I went back to Pierres room and he immediately started into me saying "I charge you from the time of your appointment" and I said "that's fine but you didnt see me until 2 oclock and it's barely past 4". He said to me "What do you think it should be? huh? you think it should be free?" I said "No, but I don't think I should be charged for you eating your lunch." He says to me "Thats bullshit, I had like 2 bites, you know what you pay me how much you think you should pay me, whatever".

I decided I was not going to stand here while this guy is yelling at me. I went out front, I told the guy at the desk "Here, here's $300. I wont be coming back here anymore and I certainly hope my debit card does not get charged." I then left and when I got to my car I cancelled my debit card that they had on file fearing they would charge me again.

My tattoo was only half complete and it didn't even look like the picture I drew. I was so upset. I have now had one laser tattoo removal appointment which cost me $350 and I will have to have several more. Do NOT go to High Street Tattoo and definitely do NOT go to Pierre. RIP OFF.

Disappointed
Columbus, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/29/2009 11:50 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/High-Street-Tattoo/Columbus-Ohio-43215/High-Street-Tattoo-Tattoo-Shops-Columbus-Ohio-474804. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on High Street Tattoo

Response and Resolution

AUTHOR: Joshua HST Manager - (United States of America)

My name is Joshua,  I am the manager of High Street Tattoo, and first and foremost I would like to send my apologies to the individual who posted this report.  We pride ourselves here at HST as being the most friendly, professional, and welcoming environment tattoo shop in Columbus.  I understand that this issue occurred several years back, however, all of us here at HST take comments and concerns such as this very seriously.  I will begin by letting you know that Pierre no longer works here.  He was let go very shortly after being hired here for reasons like the experience you described.

I can personally guarantee you that the rude and sarcastic manner in which he handled your entire process WILL NOT be what you experience when coming into our shop.  We have been awarded " #1 Tattoo Parlor " in 614 Magazine ( Local Columbus Paper ), and are consistently receiving good reviews online ( Yelp, Yahoo Local, Etc. ).  I encourage you to stop by HST again, and replace your bad experience with one of friendly and professional qualities.  All of our artist's are internationally awarded and published and would be more than happy to provide you with a great experience, as well as a unique, custom tattoo that you will enjoy for years to come.

Thanks,