Complaint Review: HighBeam Research

• Updated: Mon, April 01, 2013

• Reported By: Judith — Denver Colorado
HighBeam Research

HighBeam Research Definitely a ripoff Internet

I went to their website to do some research, knowing that I would have to cancel within a certain period of time or be charged for a whole year's membership. I did the research, then immediately canceled the account, which is what I normally do with these kinds of "free" trials.

Lo and behold, the charge had been made on March 19, 2013, and it showed up on my account on April 1, 2013. Good thing I was checking for other charges that day or I might have missed it.

I called the 800 number listed on the charge (800-860-9227) and got Customer Care. I asked them to reverse the charge, saying that I had never heard of them and did not make the charge. She asked for the last 6 digits of the credit card number used and I gave it to her. She looked it up, explained what the company does, and asked if that sounded familiar. I replied that it did not sound familiar. Of course, that was a couple of weeks ago, so I didn't remember.

I told her to take the charge off my account right away and that I would take it up with my bank and with the Attorney General of my state (Colorado). She said she couldn't do that, but that she would send me an email making sure there were no more charges. I told her that wasn't good enough, I wanted it removed. The call was dropped, so I decided to look on my computer for clues to what had happened.

I looked at my browser history for 3/19/13 and found all the entries from the trial subscription through the cancelation. I took a screen shot of the trail and printed it out. I then called my bank who said I should fill out a dispute report. I began to do that when I got an email from HighBeam Research saying:

This e-mail confirms that HighBeam Research refunded $199.95 to your [credit card] ending in ******]. Please allow up to five business days for this to appear on your bank statement.

If you have any questions, please contact Customer Service at help@highbeam.com, or call us at 1-800-860-9227. We're here to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I'll give it a few days and if they don't actually refund my money I will not only file a dispute complaint with my bank, but I will also call the local police and contact the Attorney General of my state.

Don't let these people, or any like them, hold you hostage!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/01/2013 09:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HighBeam-Research/internet/HighBeam-Research-Definitely-a-ripoff-Internet-1039674. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HighBeam Research