• Report: #1020741

• Submitted: Tue, February 26, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, February 26, 2013

• Reported By: LLW — Austin Texas United States of America
Highbeam, Inc
c/o Cengage Learning, 1 North State Street Chicago, Illinois United States of America

Highbeam, Inc Offered a 7 day FREE trial but mandated that I post a credit card as part of the 'registration'. If I cancled within the 7 days I would not be charged, if I forgot I would not be notified Chicago, Illinois

This is a bait and switch set up. Highbeam obviously employs a business strategy hoping that the 'clients' will forget that they have signed up to a FREE trial. Then they are free to charge the account just as long as the client remains unaware that the charges are being made. AND YET, when I cancelled my subscription Highbeam was all too eager to get me to sign up AGAIN. They have time enough for that, but not time enough to notify me of charges to my account. Every online business that I have worked with will send a notice indicating that they are charging my account. That Highbeam refuses to do this indicates a duplicity and fraudulence BUILT into their business practices.

They charged me for a service I did not want and I did not look for a charge because I never expected to see one and thus did not correct a mistake. That they continue to refuse to take ownership for what is clearly a predatory practice is unsurprising. It is obvious that Highbeam sees those who are unfortunate enough to take the bait of a FREE trial as little more than prey.

I never once used their service in the two years they were charging my account. They knew what they were doing by not notifying me that they were charging my account. Instead of a gun, they used the internet to steal from me and they hoped that I would be ignorant about the theft for just as long as possible. That is not fair, nor is it right. If they continue to conduct business this way they need to stipulate it upfront on the website not buried in their terms and conditions, that the 'client' will be charged for a service they don't want and will not be notified of the charge for as long as possible.

I do not accept their response because they do not acknowledge the mendacity of their bait and switch promotion.

If they can notify me when I have discontinued their service, then they have the capability of notifying me the FIRST time they charge my account. They are responsible for their actions and charging a client who does not want their service is wrong. I signed up for a Free trial because that was the only avenue they offered to allow me access to an article. I would have canceled that moment but they won't let you cancel right after you have signed up. You have to wait. That in itself bespeaks mendacity.

They do not include a notification of subscription because they are counting on busy people forgetting that they signed up. They acknowledge this practice in their terms and conditions. It was my misfortune to ever become involved with a company like this.

Do not fall for the 7 day Free trial, it is bait to get you to sign up for a research service you do not want. And they will charge you without letting you know that you are being charged. Highbeam took $800 from me and I never realized that they were charging my account. That is how they make their money. To them you are just another sucker.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/26/2013 07:21 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Highbeam-Inc/Chicago-Illinois-60602/Highbeam-Inc-Offered-a-7-day-FREE-trial-but-mandated-that-I-post-a-credit-card-as-part-o-1020741. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Highbeam, Inc