Complaint Review: Higher One One Account

• Submitted: Wed, September 12, 2012
  • Updated: Fri, September 14, 2012

• Reported By: Smokey — Colorado Springs Colorado United States of America
Higher One One Account
105 Munson St New Haven, CT 06511 New Haven, Connecticut United States of America

*UPDATE Employee: Higher One is here to help

In May 2012 I decided to go back to school after 10 months of being unemployed. The financial aid is administered through Higher One via a debit card.

On June 26th, my home, my textbooks, the Higher One card, as well as almost everything I've ever owned was vaporized in the Waldo Canyon Fire (along with 346 other homes in my neighborhood).

I called the school to see if they could replace it and consider waiving the fee, given the circumstances. They told me (after a 25 minute hold) that because the card had been activated (never used, but activated) that they could not help me and that I would have to contact Higher One.

I contacted Higher One. Waited on hold for another 20 minutes for the girl to tell me that she didn't have the power to waive the fee but immediately offered a supervisor. I held for another 15 minutes for the supervisor, to tell me that she couldn't do it and that I would have to contact the school. [continued below]....

When I asked why the previous rep told me that a supervisor could make a decision she said "I don't know, she just doesn't know how it works I guess". Fed up, I told her to charge the fee to my account and send the replacement.

I think it's insanely unfair that we have to access our financial aid through these people and then to get this kind of run around?? It's not like I dropped it in a parking lot or left it in an airport or anything like that. I had 20 minutes to evacuate my home when the fire happened, and the last thing on my mind was my Higher One card. I hate these people and hate even more that I am stuck being a slave to them to get my education. Students beware!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/12/2012 02:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Higher-One-One-Account/New-Haven-Connecticut-06511/Higher-One-One-Account-PPCC-Higher-One-REPLACEMENT-CARD-FEES-FOR-VICTIMS-OF-FIRE-THAT-DEST-940225. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Higher One One Account

Higher One is here to help

AUTHOR: Aaron, Higher One - (USA)

Hello. My name is Aaron and I work with Higher One. First, let me convey mine and Higher One's condolences for the loss of your property, home and possessions. We hope that you and your loved ones are all safe and wish you and the community all the best in the wake of this tragedy.

We would like to refund you the replacement card fee and ask that you submit your feedback by using, "Connect with Casey." This can be found when logged into your account under the, "Customer Service" tab. Click, "Give Feedback" and fill out the information. As we're unable to identify you via this report, we ask that you also include a link to it in the, "Tell us what's on your mind" section.

Next, I wanted to tell you that receiving the money to the full service, FDIC Insured checking account connected to the MasterCard Debit Card you referenced is only one of the free ways to receive your refund. You also have the option to have your refund deposited into an existing bank account of your choice. You can learn how to do that from this Easy Help answer. It is 100% free, and can be done at any time, as many times as you would like.

We apologize for this service interaction and will use this example for future training purposes. For future reference, you can also contact Customer Care in these additional two ways:

1. Use EasyHelp's Ask a Question feature by clicking on any Easy Help logo when logged into your account. Simply fill out the information in the "Ask a Question" tab and someone will follow up with you through email.

2. Tweet us @AskHigherOne - we're available to assist you there Monday - Friday from 9a.m.-9p.m. ET.

We hope this helps!