Complaint Review: HigherOne

• Updated: Mon, April 08, 2013

• Reported By: katie — Florida
HigherOne

HigherOne BankOne bank fees, scam banks, overdrafts Internet

*Author of original report: All fees refunded after several complaints

This bank is used by colleges to distribute refund money from grants, loans, etc. This is your only choice other than a paper check. I now know my lesson and would rather wait for the mail.
I've had my account for over 3 years and rarely used it. I recently learned why I should never. In the past 3 months, I've managed to be charged a grand total of $266 in overdraft fees alone. ONE of these was completely valid as I had an automatic payment come out before I made a purchase. Definitely my mistake.

The others? Uncredited deposits, locked account, unable to even make deposits...you name it. I tried to transfer money INTO this account from another account I own. HigherOne even initiated it before I had to verify it (HigherOne said this was allowed). They accepted the payment and it showed in my balance...a few days later, it was taken out and said they could not verify the account it came from. I'd already spent some money. Guess what? Overdraft fees and a locked account. I asked what I needed to do to correct this and they asked for a lot of information from the sending bank. The sending bank had only received 2 of the 3 deposits from HigherOne to verify the account identity. I had to wait until I had an official statement to show them (an entire 3 weeks later) before they would unlock my account. In the mean time, I had automatic payments coming out without any way to actually deposit money BECAUSE MY ACCOUNT WAS LOCKED! The only responses I ever got from this company was that they needed information about my other account. Nothing more. They received the information, unlocked my account and washed their hands of my situation. I have yet to receive any refunds on these overdraft fees (6 actually deserved for a total of $228).

These people KNOW I'm a college student (why else would I have this card?) They can also see what little money I make and that I randomly receive small amounts of child support every few months. These people SERIOUSLY have no conscious in their business whatsoever. Since I am changing schools in the fall, I am hoping to close this account ASAP but not without fighting over these ridiculous fees.

Take a paper refund check from your school!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/03/2013 07:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/HigherOne/internet/HigherOne-BankOne-bank-fees-scam-banks-overdrafts-Internet-1040485. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on HigherOne

All fees refunded after several complaints

AUTHOR: katie - ()

About a week after posting this and to the BBB, I actually received all 7 fees returned to me. It took a lot of complaints and informing them I'd posted here and to BBB before they took me seriously. Now that I'm reimbursed, I will be closing my account with this ridiculous bank.