Complaint Review: Hilton Downtown Miami

• Submitted: Tue, January 29, 2013
  • Updated: Tue, January 29, 2013

• Reported By: Thomas — Brooklyn New York United States of America
Hilton Downtown Miami
1601 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, Florida, 33132 Miami, Florida United States of America

Hilton Downtown Miami $1500 worth of personal belongings stolen from room Miami, Florida

I recently traveled to Miami Florida to run the ING Miami half marathon.  While there I stayed at the Hilton Downtown Miami due to the close proximity of the hotel to the race start.  During my stay there I had $1500 worth of stuff stolen from my room, including a laptop and portable gaming system.
The theft occurred sometime on Friday while I was out exploring the city however I did not become aware of my stolen property until Saturday morning.  When I became aware that my possesions were missing I headed straight down to the front desk to report the theft.
The head of security, while nice was of little help.  He called the police who gave me a case number but informed me they would not be investigating it, and then he told me he would be completing his own investigation that would take a least a week to complete, meaning it would not happen until well after I had traveled back to NY. [continued below]....
.....  (I have not heard back form him since, that was 4 days ago.)
I decided this was not satisfactory so I asked to see a manager.  The front desk refused to get me the manager claiming they had done everything they could for me.  I took to twitter and facebook and suddenly the tune of the staff changed.  Suddenly I was going to be allowed to see the manager but they would not allow me to meet her in the lobby.  They told me to go up to my room and wait for her there.
I felt like I was being held prisoner, we waited well over an hour in our room until the manager finally came.  When she did come she essentially accused me of lying, saying that there was no proof I ever even had the laptop in the room.  She often gave me a condescending smirk when I tried to explain to her what happened.  She offered no condolences, apologies, or means of compensation for my stolen goods.
I decided to call the corporate office to take it one step further.  After a long conversation with them they called the Hilton Miami Downtown Hotel and forced them to do something for me, however Hilton Miami Downtown felt comping me one night was a satisfactory settlement.  They even went as far as to say that I was "lucky," to get that much.  On top of that I was informed by corporate that there was nearly no way I was going to get the money for my stolen goods, because Hilton's insurance would not pay for this, and it was likely they would not even file an insurance claim.
I felt that this was unacceptable.  The security in this hotel was incredibly sub par.  There were no security cameras in the majority of the hotel, and I am quite convinced that the staff is able to shimmy the doors open without keycards.
Upon arriving home I decided to look up other reviews of the hotel only to find that there were at least 4 similar robberies within the last year.  This seems to be an endemic at this hotel.
Not only was I robbed at their hotel, but I was treated like a common criminal by the staff.  I was yelled at, and constantly asked to wait in my room like a prisoner so I would not cause a scene in the lobby.  The whole experience was disgraceful and I cannot believe anyone that works at that hotel says they work in the hospitality industry.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/29/2013 09:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hilton-Downtown-Miami/Miami-Florida-33132/Hilton-Downtown-Miami-1500-worth-of-personal-belongings-stolen-from-room-Miami-Florida-1005840. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hilton Downtown Miami