I sent the email below to customer service dept. who sent it back as basicly 'undelivered, mailbox full':
I appreciate having options for broadband internet. Direcway has always acted professionally toward me in our past dealings.
However, I must register a complaint about your recent policy of dispatching an installer to reconnect a previously working system without due cause at the customer's expense. Furthermore, not informing a customer about his options at the time of disconnect has now left me bitter and frustrated. I feel I have been victimized for temporarily suspending service and I am now left holding worthless and expensive equipment.
Please let me explain. I was thrilled to get my service turned on in July 2002. I fulfilled my contract and because DSL was offered at half the cost, I suspended my service in Nov 2003. Now SBC, the provider, proved unable to make the system work due to distance limitations and the actual route of our line. We therefore reconnected to Direcway the next month. No problems.
We closed the account again on Feb 2005 because my wife and I were somewhat disappointed with our internet speed. We felt the performance vs. cost could not be justified. Later that year, we decided to try it again and learned that our 4000 system really had limitations, especially on Upload speeds. We cancelled our account around the last week of Dec 2005 with full intentions of reconnecting and upgrading when we could afford to buy the new, faster modem. (It seems the 6000 series were sold out and no options were in place for the new 7000 series.) When I terminated at that time, I let your representative know that we would reconnect when we thought we could afford the $199. for the new modem with faster service (at the time we really did not want to committee for 18 months) unless, of course, he could give us a deal on the modem. He did not. Oh well.
On March 22, 2006 I sought to restore service and upgrade (with a commitment) to the newer modem. After finally speaking with Giavanni @ Used Equipment Reconnect, I find out it will now cost me to have a technician check my equipment; equipment that was working fine (90 plus Signal Strength) a few months before! New policy as of Jan 2006. Now if I now had a problem with it then OK, but why pay to fix a working system! Would you want to. Also, a Rep now tells me I could have suspended my account and RENEWED the suspension after each 30 day period. This was never explained to me even though Cancellations knew that I planned to reconnect shortly.
I was previously told that an account would cancel after the 30 day period automatically. Now, I can't seem to get a new SAN# that I need for Customer Service to reconnect (as I have done so easily done in the past.) All this thanks to a NEW POLICY.
This is why I feel victimized and left with no hope of ever using this service again.
I feel sorry for other unsuspecting customers as they try to re-establish services.