Complaint Review: Hobbytron.com

• Submitted: Wed, December 20, 2006
  • Updated: Tue, January 09, 2007

• Reported By:Steelville Missouri
Hobbytron.com
1053 South 1675 West Orem, Utah U.S.A.

Hobbytron.com substituted ordered item with a cheaper clearence item and called it a FEEE UPGRADE. Ripoff Orem Utah

*Consumer Comment: My sympathies for you and your grandson

*Author of original report: The Nightmare continues

I have been trying repeatedly to resolve this issue with Hobbytron and have yet to reach anyone or receive a response to my telephone calls or e-mails. Based upon the number of busy signals I have received, the number of messages I have left with different departments and the e-mails I have sent with no response, I would have to say that I am not the only dissatisfied customer.

I have tried unsucessfully to resolve this issue without having to involve my credit card company in a dispute over charges and without having to take any further course of action. I refuse to be overcharged for this or any other item. I have done a lot of shopping on-line and have never had a problem like this. All I am seeking is a $10.00 credit to which I am entitled.

On November 25, 2006, I placed an online order for item AA-69731 Airbus Cessna. On Nov. 28 I received an e-mail stating the item was on backorder and due to be shipped within 5 to 10 business days and that I would be notified if there were any further delays. On December 10, I received an e-mail from Fed-Ex stating that my order had shipped.

On December 14, I received item XT-8102 RC J3 Cub. The packing slips proudly notes that this is a FREE UPGRADE due to an extended delay. That would be acceptable if it were not for the fact that item XT-8102 RC J3 Cub is not an upgrade, but a clearance item listing for $39.97 while the AA-69731 Airbus Cessna lists for $49.00 which my credit card was billed (along with shipping) as soon as the order was received. I deliberately ordered the higher priced item with the hope that it would hold up a little better, so that my grandson could enjoy the product a little longer.

I have placed numerous calls to their 800 number and have not reached a human voice. I have left at least six voice messages so far with no response. (*All mailboxes are now full.) I have sent e-mails, USPS letters, researched the name and e-mail of the executive officer, called their regular phone number (not toll-free)and had absolutely no repsonse from them.

I have several issues with the way this was handled:

(1) I was not notified that the item was unavailable.
(2) The item I ordered was substituted with a lower priced item.
(3) I feel Hobbytron was being quite deceptive in stating that this was an upgrade.
(4) I was not given the option of cancelling the order.
(5) I have been billed for the higher priced item and to date; no credit has been issued for the dollar difference.
(6) I have been unable to reach their customer service department, the accounting department or the credit department via telephone or e-mail, despite my persistence.

Susan
Steelville, Missouri

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/20/2006 11:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Hobbytroncom/Orem-Utah-84058/Hobbytroncom-substituted-ordered-item-with-a-cheaper-clearence-item-and-called-it-a-FEEE-226459. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Hobbytron.com

My sympathies for you and your grandson

AUTHOR: Patrick - (U.S.A.)

Susan,

As an avid RC modeling enthusiast, it really pains me to see these kinds of things going on with these bargain basement "toy" stores. Basically, they are just outlets for cheap junk from China (not that everything from China is junk, some companies actually have very good products).

Although I've never had any dealings with Hobbytron (and never would based on the stuff they sell), I would like to offer at least some recommendations if your grandson truly has an interest in radio controlled planes.

Some of the best stuff on the market today for kids his age are made by a company called Air Hogs. You can find their planes in most of the Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, etc locations. One of the best to start with is the Aero Ace. Price runs $30-$40 depending on where you get it, it's a very easy to fly and durable plane, and is tons of fun (my 5-year old daughter just LOVES hers).

There are also several online RC forums, such as RCGroups, WattFlyer and RCUniverse (just add the w's before the name and dot com after). The folks on those boards are always eager to help new pilots. You might also find some information there on Hobbytron by searching the forums.

Good luck, and don't let your bad experience with Hobbytron discourage your grandson from participating in RC flight. It's a wonderful hobby for kids and gets them interested in aerodynamics, electronics and radio transmitters.

The Nightmare continues

AUTHOR: Susan - (U.S.A.)

Since my original posting things have gotten much worse. On Dec 26, my 11 year old grandson actually received this piece of JUNK as a gift from me. On Dec. 28, he tried to fly it. The first flight resulted in a minor crash, tearing the tail fin. We were able to repair that with superglue. The second flight resulted in the tail coming off completely, the wing breaking in two and the fusilage breaking in half. That comes out to a cost of about $11 per minute of use. The package states that this is for use by ages 8 and up, even an adult could not have kept this plane aloft. The plane originally ordered by me stated specifically it was meant for novice flyers and sturdily built.

Have since tried repeatedly to contact Hobbytron, still no luck. Have filed complaints with BBB, attorney general for Missouri and Utah, the FTC, several fraud complaint centers, my credit card company (who offered only a courtesy credit for the amount overcharged, as the package had been opened). Have since read many similar complaints about Hobbytron's return policies, substitutions and lack of response.

On Jan 5 finally received e-mail from Hobbytron apologizing for delay in responding and asking that I reply only if my issue is unresolved along with $5.00 coupon for next purchase. No response to my reply (of course).