Complaint Review: Home Depot , Husky Tools

• Submitted: Fri, September 29, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, February 04, 2012

• Reported By:glen rose Texas
Home Depot , Husky Tools
415 E Highway 377 Granbury, Texas U.S.A.

Home Depot , Husky Tools. Home depto does not honor warranty that is Clearly Written On box. Very rude customer service warrnaty Fraud Felons Granbury Texas

*General Comment: Home Depot falling short

*Consumer Comment: The Reason for the Huskey Brand

*Consumer Comment: Not Different

*Consumer Comment: Home Depot offers GREAT warranties on HUSKY

*Consumer Suggestion: Husky tools

*Consumer Comment: Home Depot Tool Chest Warranty Dept. WAS responsive for me.

*Consumer Comment: Great Experience

*Consumer Comment: Great Experience

*Consumer Suggestion: Warranty and relationship of Home depot to Husky

*Consumer Suggestion: Warranty and relationship of Home depot to Husky

*Consumer Comment: Return Policy

* : Huskey and Home Depot does not honor warranties

*Consumer Comment: Huskey Warranty # 888-434-8759

*UPDATE Employee: Warranty

I purchased a 41" 10 drawer tool box it cost $400.00. I have had this box for about a year maybe a little longer. All the drawers are broke I can not even put two of them in there rollers. I tried to take it back and exchange it for a new one. The warranty is on the side of the box. Guaranteed forever for your convience if your tool breaks just take back to any home depot for replacement or you can send it in to Husky.

Well I went two weeks ago just too make sure I was covered before I unloaded the rest of my tools out of it so I could exchange it. I got there and the high school dropout told me home depot only accepts returns for the first 90days. Now mind you I had them go and read the warranty on the box that states bring back to any home depot store for exchange if needed for my convience. Keep in mind that this box weighs around 100 to 150lbs. Not very effiecient to have to ship this too husky. So what I learned is they will not honor a written warranty that they proudly display. I am not sure but I thought warranty fraud was a felony.

I tried to get the manager to put everything in writing that they were telling me and they refused and showed me the door. I am a mechanic by trade and spend a lot of money on tools and have bought many tools from home depot but I will never return. Just wanted to bring this to everyones attention. If anyone else has had this problem please let everyone know.

Thanks for your time.

Jeremy
glen rose, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/29/2006 02:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Home-Depot-Husky-Tools/Granbury-Texas-76048/Home-Depot-Husky-Tools-Home-depto-does-not-honor-warranty-that-is-Clearly-Written-On-bo-213395. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Home Depot , Husky Tools

#1 General Comment

Home Depot falling short

AUTHOR: dblack - (United States of America)

As far as the comment that Home Depot is doing warrenty exchanges to help the customer, that it is a manufacturers main liability. First when i went to Home Depot for warrenty exchange they were everything but helpful. If i were the ceo of Home Depot with all the trash talk about these people, can you say Undercover Boss? I like the Husky ratchet wrenches that i purchased but with the way Home depot does or tries not to do warrenties im forced to stick with sears craftsman and the hassle free way they handle business. Oh yea about Home depot doing warrennty work out of the kindness of their heart, it plainly says on the back of my package if defective return to ANY Home Depot or mail to Husky. After going to two different Home depot locations in Huntsville Al 60 miles away and getting absolutely nothing but questions trying to get out of the warrenty deal. Do you have your receipt? Did you buy the product at this store? Do you have the box that they came in? With the exception of the receipt, all the answers were yes. After all that went home with what i started with. So home depot didnt help anything but putting me in the hole with the round trip gas purchase.

Lifetime Warranty's

AUTHOR: immastarr - (United States of America)

I think most of the confusion on the Lifetime Warranty products is because of this: The Lifetime Warranty is offered by the manufacturer, NOT Home Depot.  Home Depot offers to replace it in the store as a convenience to the customer, but it is not OUR warranty.

Re: Home Depot and Husky Warranty's

AUTHOR: immastarr - (United States of America)

Sounds like your issue was with just that store in particular. I work for Home Depot, and I know for a fact that our company policy is to accept Husky tools that are under Lifetime Guarantee, no questions asked-. If they refused you, then my advice to you is to contact Home Depot Customer Care and explain to them exactly what happeed so that they can address the issue and prevent it from happening again in the future. The Customer Care phone number is 1-800-553-3199. Good luck!

Home Depot: honoring warranty policy

AUTHOR: tg - (United States of America)

I filed a similar RipOff Report complaint #739576 June 11, 2011 (Masonite product sold by Home Depot - deteriorating fiberglass company refuses to honor warranty) RE: a $1,300 Masonite special order fiberglass door purchased at Home Depot. The original sales documents say Lifetime Warranty however it is my understanding, as previously posted above, Home Depot policy is for employees to call the vendor for you, then they walk away. The customer must deal with the manufacturer directly per Customer Service i.e. Nicky_Care@homedepot.com. This is impossible if a company is bought out or changes names (bankruptcy) or no longer sells to Home Depot. Essentially the Home Depot customer is left without recourse.
I can't in good conscience be angry at a local Home Depot store for warranty issues. I blame the HD CEO for this. Home Depot does not even think it is important to keep track when a customer complains about a product. Home Depot customers have no input in what the store sells. Catch 22 HD customers are forced to complain on the Internet, HD employees surf the net all day to post "we want to help you", but they can't really help per their company policy. INSANE.

This week I have attempted to reach Home Depot corporate offices for them to answer who I can report when a vendor's merchandise is shabby, is refusing to honor their warranty and is dishonest. I am still waiting for an answer cause . . . ? My local Lowes the store manager DOES HAVE AUTHORITY to step in and negotiate warranty problems on behalf of the customer. A Lowe's manager can refund the customer up to half the cost of the item even if the manufacturer refuses.

Something to think about next time when your going out buy your next big ticket item huh?

Buy-outs and Liability

AUTHOR: OHara - (United States of America)

Murf wrote:  "1st - to the consumer who was told told a company bought the outlet/store/business and therefore would not honor the warranty.  When a company acquires another company they acquire ALL the ASSETS and ALL the LIABILITIES.  They assume the whole package.  So they are obligated to honor any warranty - that is a Liability they 'purchased'."

Murf, this is not always true.  Buy-outs can be constructed in many different ways and those don't necissarily include the liabilities.  That is especially true when a company is at or near bankruptcy.  The buy-out contract will specifically state this and how it is handled.  In the case of a bankruptcy, this has to be approved by the bankruptcy court and the creditors beforehand.

Consider a company might have $20 million in annual production but has $100 million in liabilities.  Would they have any chance to sell out?  Not likely but if they approve a buyer who will accept maybe $30 million of that debt, it might be a good deal for everyone.  Their employees will be able to keep their jobs and the creditors will recieve 30 cents on the dollar they are owed instead of NOTHING.

Buy-outs are constructed according to the situation that exists.  In the example of warranties, the buy out can mean the company will be closed for a short time.  (this may only be a day) and a new company will be formed, will take over the existing employees, the existing customers and the existing production facilities and maybe even the name but since it is a new company, the liabilities will disappear including the warranties.

I had this happen to me once.  I sold to restaurants and one of my customers was $600,000 in debt.  He simply closed the stores for a couple of days, re-incorporated the business and totally escaped all debt.  This was 6 or 7 years ago and he is still in business under the new incorporation.  That was wrong but he (or his lawyer) knew how to work the system.  Everything was legal but in my book, it was thievery.  He is still in  business and apparently a valuable customer to somebody else.  Not me!   I figure if he'd do that once, he'd probably do it again and I'm not going to be in the line of fire. He'll never be my customer again.

The Reason for the Huskey Brand

AUTHOR: OHara - (United States of America)

Eric wrote:  "What? Huskey doesn't make there own products?"

No, Huskey is a HD brand name, not the name of a manufacturer.  HD contracts with various manufacturers to manufacture their tools and equipment.  In the case of hand tools, those manufacturers are Snap-on and MAC.  In the case of power tools, it is often Dewalt or another respected name brand.  Some of the power tools are manfactured by Emerson Electric, the same company that manufactured Craftsman power tools.

This is common by large retailers.   For instance, Sears Kenmore brand appliances are manufactured by Whirlpool and other known brands with the Kenmore brand affixed.

This is done simply to prevent price shopping.  The Kenmore appliance will be very similar but will be just different enough to make direct comparison shopping impossible.

I know this because I once worked for a company that produced a product for Sears.  The construction was virtually identical to our standard product but different designs were printed on the product making it appear totally different.  Sears sold this product for about 30% more than our regular retail dealers.  They could do this because they had eliminated any direct competition and comparison shopping.

The whole reason for being of the Husky line is exactly the same. . . To eliminate comparison shopping and increase profits!

Not Different

AUTHOR: OHara - (United States of America)

Just for information:  Generally, the lifetime warranty only applies to hand tools, not tool boxes or power tools.  Husky hand tools are made generally by MAC or Snap-on, two of the most respected brands in America.  These two brands appear to have made their warranties to replicate the guarantees offered by the Sears Craftsman brand who became famous for their lifetime warranties.  But, MAC and Snap-on only extended this guarantee on hand tools or tool boxes, not power tools as MAC and Snap-on also do not.  This is no different than Sears,

Power tools with the Husky brand are generally made by companies over seas mostly in Korea.  This was also true of Craftsman power tools.

I realize you probably find it deceptive that the hand tool warranty was printed on the boxes your tool box came in.  I would probably find it deceptive too.

No company will usually allow a line employee to put anything in writing.  Their legal departments usually will just not allow it.  I suspect Home Depot is no different in this respect.

Home Depot offers GREAT warranties on HUSKY

AUTHOR: Quick grey fox - (U.S.A.)

I wrote this once, but in attempting to copy it to be able to send it to Home Depot, it got lost, so here is the abbreviated version.

I have a plastic 12+ year old HUSKY carrying case that came with a complete set of mechanics tools. It opens like a suitcase - but the hinge is full length and plastic.

After all this time, the hinge finally cracked all the way thru. It no longer stays closed. I sent pictures and dimensions to HD as there are no identifying marks or numbers on it. That was a month or so ago.

HD has always kept in touch following up to see how we can identify this case and get it replaced. NO LUCK THERE.

Today, they offered to send me a $50 gift certificate...NO RECEIPT, NO PERSONAL CONTACT, NO REQUEST TO PHYSICALLY SEE THE TOOL BOX.

In my book that is excellent warranty service, above and beyond the call !

#9 Consumer Suggestion

Husky tools

AUTHOR: Mplsman - (United States of America)

I had a problem with the husky air chisel set, the piston broke. Luckly I still had the original box it came it that showed lifetime warranty on it. The return clerk said to go and get another one for a exchange so I did, I even got all the new chisels with it.

However when I was walking out the store I noticed that on the new box the warranty had changed to 1 or 2 year instead of lifetime. I went back inside and presented this to the clerk who stated they needed the box to send the defective tool back. I asked to speak to a manager and explained to them that I had bought the tool with the lifetime warranty and would expect that to continue after the exchange and the manager gave me the old box back.

I also had a rigid shop vac go bad and when I brought it in they gave me a brand new box off the shelves.

I have always had good luck returning products there, even without a receipt.

Seems odd that you would wait till all the drawers broke. Did you lose the key and break the drawers trying to get em open, or did it fall out of your truck when the bed rusted off. Also appears that you went in there with a nasty attitude to get shown the door.

now the suggestions.

1. snap on, craftsman. tools mechanics use

2. purchase a new one then return the old one a month or 2 later, after all Lifetime should mean lifetime as long as you didnt abuse it.

Home Depot Tool Chest Warranty Dept. WAS responsive for me.

AUTHOR: RokonJim - (United States of America)

I purchased the 41" Husky Pro roll-away top drawers and bottom chest combination from Home Depot.  One of the lower chest drawer's slide bearing was defective and the ball bearings were fallling out of the bearing assembly.  I phoned the 888 telephone number mentioned above, and immediately they took my name, address, telephone, the store where purchased, purchase date, and said they would ship me the needed failed drawer bearing assembly that was defective.

As a more general note on Home Depot returns.  I have never experienced a return problem whether or not it is 30 days old, 90 days, or 2 years old.  As long as the original packaging is intact they will give you store credit for the present store retail price.  Look behind the service counter and on the wall it says they will accept returns without a receipt.

I once ordered too much floor wood laminate for a new home construction and they accepted the excess back even though it was not a wood look they kept in stock.

There are good and bad employees in all retail stores.  Whatever you do, be polite and firm in asking for a correction on a store error, a replacement when an item fails, and you are more likely to get satisfaction from the encounter with any retailer.

When a specific tool doesn't work for you as you hoped it might, such as their special all-in-one tool for working under sinks...I brought one back since it didn't live up to it's claims on the package and they refunded me 100%.  Just be sure to tape it together as best you can when you bring it back.

Great Experience

AUTHOR: utahsteve - (USA)

I purchased a Husky socket/ratchet set approximately 10 years ago.  I have used the set extensively.  Recently the forward/reverse toggle broke off the back of the ratchet.  I returned to the Home Depot in Riverdale, Utah where I originally purchased the item WITHOUT the receipt.  I did not see the exact replacement ratchet selling individually on the shelf but it was included with several other sets.  The 'tool corral' manager was extremely helpful and actually opened a brand new set of Husky tools and replaced my ratchet with one from the plastic box.  After reading of everyone' bad experience with Home Depot I was actually expecting a similar experience but I was more than happy with the response of my Home Depot in Riverdale, Utah.  Thanks.

Great Experience

AUTHOR: utahsteve - (USA)

#13 Consumer Suggestion

Warranty and relationship of Home depot to Husky

AUTHOR: Murf - (USA)

1st - to the consumer who was told told a company bought the outlet/store/business and therefore would not honor the warranty.  When a company acquires another company they acquire ALL the ASSETS and ALL the LIABILITIES.  They assume the whole package.  So they are obligated to honor any warranty - that is a Liability they 'purchased'.  Give them another chance, make that point to the manager.  If that does not work let them know you intend going to your State Attorney's office and then do it.  Make sure you have names, dates, times, and rank / position with the company - the more you have, the stronger your 'story'.   BBB might be faster, but they have no authority and are business, vice consumer, oriented.
     I think you are correct - that this would be classified as a fraud.

2nd about Home Depot honoring a Husky (notice: there is no "e" in Husky) warranty.  Stanley Tools in CT makes Husky tools EXCLUSIVELY for Home Depot.  (Just like Craftsman is exclusively a Sears tool line.)  Thus, Home Depot is obligated to honor THEIR (Home Depots) warranty.
     Do as suggested above regarding a warranty and you might also let Stanley know at 1-888-434-8759.
     I suggested to Stanley, today 10/13/09, that they take a look at RipOff.com under Home Depot search to see this story and the lady was VERY interested.  [She is also sending me a new 1/4" rachet as mine "skips".]
     Make sure you dial 888 as 800 is a "girly" chat line (for big $$$).

3rd - leave out the "high school drop-out" stuff, particularly when YOU misspell or use the wrong word  (eg their vice there; efficient vice effiecient;and wrong tenses = past tense vice present tense; et cetera).

#14 Consumer Suggestion

Warranty and relationship of Home depot to Husky

AUTHOR: Murf - (USA)

Make sure you dial 888 as 800 is a "girly" chat line (for big $$$).

Return Policy

AUTHOR: Dano - (USA)

I have a husky tool set and the channel locks broke the other day. I was wondering the type of warranty there was on these tools. I found this post and used the number referred to above, and here is what happened.

I called the number and a representative transferred me to home depot customer care, the representative then explained to me that the tools have a lifetime warranty and will be replaced at any home depot store. She then asked me how I got the tools, what set they came in, when I got them ect... She did not care that the tool set was a gift about a year ago. She then contacted the HD store that I shop at and informed them that I will be coming in later tonight to exchange the pliers, and made sure they understand the return policy so they didn't hassle me when i come in!!! Lastly she gave me her name, number, and a ticket number to reference if by chance the store gives me a hard time! She said if they don't have the exact tool they will give me something comparable or a gift card.

They must have a problem with the store representatives not understanding the return policy on the tools if she went thought the trouble to call them and ensure they don't hassle me about the return policy...either way it is kind of cool. Hope this helps anyone with Husky tools.

The number I used for HD customer care was: 1-877-527-0313

Dan, Phoenix, Arizona

#16

Huskey and Home Depot does not honor warranties

AUTHOR: Eric - (USA)

Jeremy I am right with you man. I bought a Huskey air compressor 2 years ago with a 3 year warranty. Well. like most HD and Huskey products, the compressor broke. I was told by huskey to call the company that made the compressor.

What? Huskey doesn't make there own products? Anyways, I call the company that made my compressor and they wont honor the warranty either. They said they bought the company that made my compressor after they went bankrupt.

So I still have 1 year left on my warranty but HD, Huskey, or the outsourced company that Huskey pays, won't help me.

DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM THE HOME DEPOT, ESPECIALY HUSKEY!!!!!

Eric,   Hutto Texas

Huskey Warranty # 888-434-8759

AUTHOR: Prodigalmike - (U.S.A.)

All you have to do is call this number and they send you the new tools with no questions asked (Except model number!) Easy! 7-10 bussiness days... I just got my two broken rachets replaced... dial 1-888-434-8759 then dial ? 5 is mechanics tools is 7 some was on in just 1 minute and it took maybe 3 more and I was finished! Some people just complain? Some don't really try to find out? I don't know but I know that it worked for me after I googled for the number...

AUTHOR: Maintenance Lady - (U.S.A.)

I don't know who posted the first rebuttal but they unfortunately have incorrect information. I only by Klien screwdrivers because of the warranty that is offered. Now granted everytime I have to go to Home Depot I have to completely explain the warranty but once I get it clearly stated, the cashier will call a manager and they will tell them to go ahead and allow it. I just wish that when they are training their employees that they would also let them know that they carry a lot of life time warranty tools and that if there is a question then they need to go and get the item in question. Stop making the customer go over and above to prove that they do indeed have a valid warrantied item. And life time means life time, not life time of the Home Depot.

Warranty

AUTHOR: W - (U.S.A.)

I am truly sorry for the response you feel you have received. The warranty is correct. The Home Depot will take back the tool chest and send it out for repair. This would be at no cost to you unless is was determined it was due to abuse. The only reason THD does not take back merchandise is for time and lack of receipt.